| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Short Scale Stringmaster vs. Dual Pro
Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 8:31 am    

Considering picking up a dual pro because they look sweet and (IMHO) have a little more bandstand appeal than my deluxe-8... and I could use an E neck for hank tunes.

Wondering if anyone has experience comparing the playability of the two instruments... my deluxe-8 is so speedy, I love it for twin guitar/single note runs and solos. Are dual pros similarly speedy? How does the string spacing compare?

All input appreciated, thanks.

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 8:47 am    

From your picture it looks like you like to keep your right hand close to the bridge. If you like to do string muting at the bridge, those big trapezoid pickups on a dual-pro will get in the way. They do sound and look great though. They don't seem to bother Kayton Roberts. Smile
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 9:55 am    

IMO the trapezoid pickups have a more raw sound than the string-over pickups. Think of Santo's tone on the original SleepWalk. He played a Custom (T-8 with traps) on that record, in spite of the album cover showing him playing a Stringmaster.
Like Bill said, if you do a lot of picking/muting close to the bridge, you'll find that those massive string-through pickups are in the way. You won't be able to lay your hand on the bridge to mute the strings. My video of "Bouquet of Roses" shows this pretty clearly ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmHedfrA0w
Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 10:12 am    

thanks for the input guys. doug your playing on that reminds me so much of my favorite little roy wiggins records -- you nailed it.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 10:29 am    

Thanks, Adam. Little Roy played a lot of "ting-a-ling" picking on early hit records like Bouquet of Roses by Eddy Arnold and others. When I was a young player I didn't like that sound because I thought it was "dated". But now that I'm older and wiser I like it, and audiences really notice the ting-a-ling picking and they like it.
Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 12:37 pm    

Adam Nero wrote:
thanks for the input guys. doug your playing on that reminds me so much of my favorite little roy wiggins records -- you nailed it.

Yup, just awesome playing by Doug.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 12:54 pm    

Personally, I like the Pro much better almost across the board in terms of playability and tone. But that's just me.

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 1:23 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
Personally, I like the Pro much better almost across the board in terms of playability and tone. But that's just me.

thanks mike. a couple very fairly priced dual pros have popped up in the last few months... hope another one happens soon.

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 5:18 pm    

I'm tempted by the Fender Pros as well. Anyone know if they were made in different scale lengths?
Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 5:51 pm    

Joe Burke wrote:
I'm tempted by the Fender Pros as well. Anyone know if they were made in different scale lengths?

Also curious about this.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 7:45 pm    

As far as I know, all of the D-8 and T-8 Fenders with trapezoid pickups were 22 1/2" scale length.

By the way, the name "Dual Professional" only appeared on the early D-8s, the ones in the late 1940s and maybe early 50s. Especially the early ones with no legs. Today we call all of these D-8s "Dual Pro", but most of them do not say Dual Professional on them. Most just have FENDER, Fullerton California on the tag.

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 7:48 pm    

Adam Nero wrote:

Yup, just awesome playing by Doug.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 7:51 pm    

Thanks Scott!
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 7:44 am    

Kayton does cool muted marimba fx on a Dual Pro with traps. Having owned both a triple custom and a Stringmaster, I prefer the traps. The action was equivalent. The swamp ash custom had incredible sustain unplugged. Not sure if walnut dual pros differ.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 3 Jul 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 8:25 am    

I wouldn't say that my walnut Pro has great sustain. The notes die quickly IMO ...as compared to my Stringmaster. What I like about the guitar is the brash, stinging sound of the trapezoid pickups. It's not a mellow sound. It's a more "in your face" sound. I keep going back to Santo's sound on SleepWalk. Another thing worth mentioning... both of the trap pickups on my Pro measure over 11K ohms. That is quite strong for a pickup of that era.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 9:38 am    

I too prefer the sound of my Dual Pro and Custom Triple to the Stringmaster.

I learned on a Gibson BR-9 so don't use palm muting anyway so the trap pickups aren't a problem for me. I keep the bridge covers on my Stringmaster too.
Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 10:05 am    

The dual pro's volume and tone control are in a more ideal location and tone is hard to beat. The the wider string spacing helps a little with slants on the lower frets.
I personally like the smaller size, and the 4 legs of the Stringmaster, I can play a double neck on my lap with any problems and the 4 legs seem more stable. The Stringmaster has a nice tone, but the Dual Pro's tone IMO is quite a bit better. Doug's description is spot on.

Mike
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 11:01 am    

I like the Dual Pro's tone over the Stringmaster too. I feel like it is more touch sensitive and that makes it more interesting to me. But it depends on what you're after in a sound if you'd think it is better or not.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 5:08 pm    

Thanks to Adam for asking this as I am also interested in the dual pro...I have stringmaster T8 and I really love that steel, but I would also like to try the dual pro.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp