| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting dents out of fingerboard.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2004 11:09 am    

Picked up an MSA that is not in bad condition at all EXCEPT for a bunch and I mean a bunch of small dents in the fingerboards. I have no idea at all how so many dings got into a fboard but I would like to get some of them out and was wondering if there is a repair trick to doing this. All I can figure to do is to take a thin guitar string and "saw" in between the boards to remove them and then flip the board over on a hard flat surface like maybe my cast iron wood jointer table and then try to "roll" some of the dents out using various round metal tools or try to use a ball pein hammer to gently tap the dents the other way.

Please posts some tricks here to remove dents from boards. THANKS!!!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 2:49 pm    

Well Bill, since no one else is volunteering, I'll give you my own ideas. Unless the metal is "dead soft" you won't have much luck rolling them out. Any temper in the metal gives it resilience, and it will tend to spring back once it has taken a "set", as it does after it is struck, and dented.

Yes, you can hammer out the dents, but it has to be done on an absolutely smooth surface. A machined plate such as a cast iron table tool table usually has milling marks, and these will transfer to the part you're straightening if when you hammer the part directly on it. The best way to avoid this is by placing a piece of smooth micarta or epoxy-glass face up on the table, and then placing the fretboard face-down on top of this. (This will give you the smooth, solid surface you need.) Then, place another, piece of micarta, smooth side down on top of the fretboard, and then hammer on this "sandwich" (pretty firmly) where necessary. This may not completely remove the dents, but it will make them much less noticeable. Go easy at first, and check your progress often.

You can do it!

(Note, heating the necks with a hair-dryer or by setting them in the sun for 1/2 hour will soften up the adhesive a little, and make the removal process a little easier.)
Bill Brown

Canadian, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 6:25 pm    

hello bill hatcher its bill brown from okla hope your doing ok see ya
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 7:16 pm    

Doing great Bill!

I zipped off one of the Fboards on the MSA and laid it on my cast jointer table and ever so lightly tapped out the dents! Compared to what the fboard looked like when I started it improved the looks tremendously. I installed the board using some heavy duty double sideed fiberglass carpet tape and it went on so easily and looks grat.