| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "DORBO" Serial number question?
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 8:29 am    

I tried Goggle search but couldn't make sense of what info I found - Local guys wants to sell a reso with "DOBRO" logo on head stock, slotted head, square neck with what he emailed as serial number "p6 590 94o" - Can anyone tell me what it means? - His bad photo showed a wood body with 2 wire screen holes and 3 just guessing maybe 5/8" holes in between the 2 maybe 2" round screen covered holes - Says in description "Like New" but lots of little chips just showing on the head stock and said it has "a new thing that holds the strings down and I don't know what the name of it is" - Trying to find out if it's a bargain for what he's asking for it - Thanks much in advance for any help - Hoping to maybe get it and trade for a round neck reso.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 11:35 am    

My guess is that the serial number is actually P6 590 94D, which would make it a 1994 wood body model of some type. I'd have to see a photo to see what you are talking about for sure and what possible model it could be.
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 12:33 pm    

Brad - Thanks VERY much! - Here's the photos he posted.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 12:40 pm    

I'd guess it's a 60D. Certainly not "Like new" based on the available photos.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 1:00 pm    

Those of us whom have been down the long and winding road of Dobro serial numbers know to take this stuff with healthy grains of salt. One source refers to "P" in the number as referring to having a solid headstock from that era. Obviously this guitar has a slotted headstock.

If 1994 is indeed the correct year of manufacture, the guitar was built in Huntington Beach, CA about four years prior to the move to Gibson Nashville, where eventually as we know, when it came to the Dobro product line, the walls came tumbling down.

Gibson acquired OMI Dobro in 1993, but kept the operation in California before shutting the doors approximately five years later.

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 1:33 pm    

Thanks for comments!! He's asking $375.00 for it and being VERY ignorant about these and short of $$ to play with I'm just wondering if it's a bargain? If it is my plan would be to buy it and trade it for some kind of semi-decent round neck which is what I'm actually trying to trade an electric guitar I have listed.
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 1:42 pm    

It may be a bargain to a player. Wishing the photos were more inclusive I'd say the cosmetic condition is fair. As a player I'd budget an addition $250 for a professional setup (+ shipping), especially if I knew it had factory original parts.

I don't know what kind of guitar you're eventually hoping to acquire. You can factor in the above numbers.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to buy off of those two photos or the description provided.

That being said $375 is low. The risk is yours.

h
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 1:49 pm    

Howard Parker wrote:
It may be a bargain to a player. Wishing the photos were more inclusive I'd say the cosmetic condition is fair. As a player I'd budget an addition $250 for a professional setup (+ shipping), especially if I knew it had factory original parts.

I don't know what kind of guitar you're eventually hoping to acquire. You can factor in the above numbers.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to buy off of those two photos or the description provided.

That being said $375 is low. The risk is yours.

h

Howard - Sounds like good advice and to be honest I don't have $$ to risk especially if I'd have to invest more $$ - Thanks MUCH Very Happy
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 4:26 pm    

Alluding to what Howard said, $375 is low, and that is a very good price for what appears to be a '94 OMI Dobro in respectable condition but of course all we have are two photos so we don't have the whole story. If you can't invest any additional funds to get it to peak playing condition, if that is what is required then it doesn't matter.

Unlike taking a cheesy import resonator guitar and trying to get somewhere toward a silk purse from a sow's ear, the majority of Dobros built during the OMI years from approx. 1970 - 1998 are generally solid, reasonably well-built instruments. They might be the resophonic equivalent of a Sherman tank.

There are periods in that era, and some of it has been discussed here on the SGF in the past where there might have been some corners cut on materials and workmanship, but after Gibson bought the company but it was still operating in Southern California, they put Mike Replogle in charge, and most people had good things to say about Mike, including the likes of Jerry Douglas.

Here is a cool short video of a CNN story on Dobro from 1995, Mike is in there, Jerry is mentioned, and one of my other long-time favorite musicians, Paul Barrere of Little Feat makes an appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjBuqdcqS_4

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 4:41 pm    

Even agreeing with all that's been said so far, that's a very good price for an American made Dobro.

I'd go for it if I needed one. Good luck either way!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 4:50 pm    

sounds like a pretty good deal, but since you don't want a square neck, it would be nice for someone who did want it.
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 5:11 pm    

Well - Again THANKS to all - Just talked with the guy and his dad, now gone, bought it new and couldn't figure out how to play - So it has had new tuners and the old tuners are with it - The "thing" he didn't know the name of was a capo - SOOOOO, he's going to bring it up, since due to health reasons, NO sympathy needed, I've not been able to drive for some years and IF it's somewhat sound he'll take $350.00 for it and IF it's not what I hope for he wants $10.00 for gas money - Every one cross your finger as the boss (wife) has given the OK - I'll report the results ASAP, hopefully this weekend Confused

Feel free to comment on what I should be aware of other if it rattles like a tin can full of marbles I'll pass on it!
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 5:13 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
sounds like a pretty good deal, but since you don't want a square neck, it would be nice for someone who did want it.

Yeah - since we're all about playing lap style here, I guess we kind of blew over that part (though I did read it on the original post).

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 5:24 pm    

Well,

The way I figure it is that the seller isn't quite sure what they're selling and the buyer isn't quite sure what they're buying...

That rarely ends well. Whoa!

h
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 6:10 pm    

FYI, I'm by NO means an expert but have played lap in open "D" & "G" on reso's and flattops for more than several years before severe nerve damage took away my skills - Just trying to be optimistic and would like a round neck to pass on to my daughter who just doesn't care for lap style guitars, and will get all my instruments - Played regular guitar for 40+ years. SOOOO, if I get it I'll take good photos when I'm able and it will go up for sale/trade here on the forum and I hope it's something that will make someone happy Smile
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2015 5:12 am    

He sold it to a friend of his Dad's - Oh well Sad