| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question For Mike Mantey
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 8:16 pm    

Since coming home from the VA, I have tried repeatedly to rehab back into my guitar, but have run into difficulties I can't get around; the nerve damage I have keeps me from getting my left foot to the E9th pedals and keeping it there, as well as a complete loss in side to side and rocking foot/ankle movement. I do have dorsi-movement, so working a volume pedal with the left foot wouldn't be too problematic. In order to play at all, here's what I currently have to go through ...

I have to sit at a crazy angle with my body somewhat twisted and use my right foot on the E9th pedals, sacrificing the use of knee levers and the volume pedal. It's difficult, it's uncomfortable in several ways and frustrating, to say the least.

We are stepping up trying to find me another steel (preferably a Mullen D-10 Pre-RP with at least 8 & 7) that can be turned into my "rehab" guitar. I've briefly touched on the idea of doing this before in another post. Altering my current steel would be out of the question; it's the "Holy Grail" of all guitars that Gary Hogue owned and I could never change or alter anything on it. So, another guitar is needed for modification.

The first hurdle to get over is finding, an affording, another guitar. I don't know when that'll happen, but we also need to budget in the reconfiguration cost of the rehab guitar so we'll know what we're looking at in total cost when I can finally acquire one. I've illustrated my current guitar and a planned rehab one to show a comparison ...

The rehab guitar would be lowered in height as in the comparison and 7 of the pedals would be used (four for the front E9th and 3 for the rear E9th). Provided the guitar I get has 7 knees like my current guitar, the vertical would be done away with and the six hanging levers would be configured as in the illustration. I've also included in the illustration how they would function.

After reviewing the illustration showing the intended setup and height reduction, can you shoot me an email or a PM giving me a ball-park figure of how much the conversion would cost (and whether any special parts would have to be made or if all the existing parts from the guitar could be used)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

----------------------------------------------

I'm also curious, are there any other players who have a similar situation like mine regarding left foot function ... if so, I would be open to ideas regarding how any of you deal with it. I really miss playing!
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 8:44 pm    

Maybe you could consider an "electromechanical pedal extender". You could build a frame of 3 solenoids that hovers over your ABC pedals that wire to a three button foot switch that you control with your right foot, so when you push the buttons, your pedals get pushed by the solenoids, and with power assist. Alternatively, you might even be able to figure out a switch configuration you can work with your left foot, like heel-toe instead of rolling your ankle. The best part of all this is you can use it on your existing guitar with no mods. Good luck - it's hard to imagine how frustrating that must be. Glenn
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 8:59 pm    

Good advice Glenn absoluetly breaks my heart to see such a good man with great talents who is passionate about pedal steel and helping others not being able to enjoy his passion

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 11:18 pm     Cross-Over Pedals steel?

Jim. what about a crossover steel with the pedals moved more to the right? The same pedals could be used on both necks. Sure hope you rehab quickly!!! All the best,
Stevet
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 8:52 am    

I don't see anything wrong with what you are trying to do. I think we could do it.

First thing would be to find the guitar we would be doing this on, so we know what we are working with. It is hard to give you a quote without that. I don't see anything that would be too much of a problem, the only thing to consider is we are working with a guitar no longer in production so you would want to try and find one that has at least 8&5.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 11:38 am     get real

Glenn Demichele wrote:
Maybe you could consider an "electromechanical pedal extender". You could build a frame of 3 solenoids that hovers over your ABC pedals that wire to a three button foot switch that you control with your right foot, so when you push the buttons, your pedals get pushed by the solenoids, and with power assist. Alternatively, you might even be able to figure out a switch configuration you can work with your left foot, like heel-toe instead of rolling your ankle. The best part of all this is you can use it on your existing guitar with no mods. Good luck - it's hard to imagine how frustrating that must be. Glenn

i know you're trying to help, but that's an unrealistic
way to do it. you're suggesting that someone who already needs help redesigning a basic mechanical pedalsteel be expected to become an electromechanical engineer-designer-fabricator overnight!
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 1:02 pm    

I don't think its unrealistic at all - the biggest plus being you don't have to touch the guitar.

I'm an engineer, and know how to build stuff - but I'm not a woodworking craftsman or a machinist. I could probably mount solenoids to an aluminum frame and wire it up with tools I have, using supplies from Home Depot. If I drill a wrong sized hole - no big deal. Electrically, the schematic is as complicated as three doorbells in its simplest form.

I guess I'm saying to modify or build a new steel, even though its "only" mechanical, takes a much higher level of competence in construction techniques. Mullen sure could do it, and do it beautifully too but not me! Hey, I can't even make a tone bar.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 6:29 pm    

Hi, Jim, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. I had a student from Florida who was an amputee and had a steel built with three wrist levers surrounding his right hand. It worked very well. I thought it might have been a Mullen but my recall may be flawed. Best of luck working it out!
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 8:37 pm    

Hi Jim,

I admire your tenacity and the imagination you're applying to this. It involves offsetting some pedals and levers to one side or another. But nothing about it is weird.

I think Mark is onto something with the wrist lever, at least as a stand-in for LKV.

Have seen it on Rains, and IIRC, Mike P. has one on his MSA guitars. So no new inventions are needed. Hopefully someone will let us know how it was added to their Mullen.

Dan
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 9:16 pm    

Glenn Demichele wrote:
I don't think its unrealistic at all - the biggest plus being you don't have to touch the guitar.

I'm an engineer, and know how to build stuff - I could probably mount solenoids to an aluminum frame and wire it up with tools I have, using supplies from Home Depot. ... Hey, I can't even make a tone bar.

i think it's more than unrealistic. you're going to build some contraption to hold solenoids sturdy enough to push pedals without touching the guitar, you can't figure how to make a bar and the pedals are going to have a variable human touch... how?? and there are many more questions you can't answer but you think jim ought to build this?
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 5:45 am    

Thanks for the replies and ideas, guys.

Initially, my plan was to reconfigure my existing guitar with dual E9th necks as follows ...

That would have been the optimal plan for me and the guitar could easily have been restored to its original E9/C6 copedent later on. BUT ... after more MRI images and nerve induction tests, it seems that the difficulties in my left leg & foot are quite permanent; foot rocking and right to left movement may slowly return over a few years, but nothing soon. That's what necessitated my alternate plan ...

Since Mike can't really give me a ball-park idea of the modification cost until he actually examines the guitar that will be modified, the focus now is just simply getting another guitar to modify; then, go from there.

As far as the guitar for modification, I do want it to be a Mullen; preferably a Pre-RP as I'm guessing one of those would be less expensive than a Royal Precision or a G2.

Expense is still a major factor ($100 might as well be $1,000 for me right now), so I'm not going to look for one in aesthetically pleasing condition. At this point, I don't care if the guitar I find is riddled with bullet holes or looks like it was just drug up from the Titanic as long as it's functional and cheaply priced. Now for the real next-to-impossible magic ... finding someone that's got an old beat up Pre-RP who'll let it go pretty cheap. Shocked
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 8:34 am    

jim, it seems to me that you might just consider a simpler s10 for awhile...setting it up for your right foot. it would be cheaper and easier to reconfigure and might get you playing at least for awhile.
it's impressive that you are pressing on in the face of adversity.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 4:30 pm    

Thanks, Chris, for your words of encouragement and the S-10 suggestion. I actually did consider going the S-10 route for a bit, but some continued difficulties with my left arm getting weak and droopy makes me lean toward another D-10 or an SD-10. I've found that having the C6th neck or a padded arm rest helps me get around on my guitar when my arm gets weak, especially when ataxia sets in and it wants to tremble a lot. But, you're correct; an S-10 would indeed be the cheaper route to go.
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 9:15 pm    

chris ivey wrote:

it's impressive that you are pressing on in the face of adversity.

Yes, it certainly is. I know, at least a little, about how you feel. I lost part of my middle finger on my left hand and had to work around that issue for a while, but that don't compare with what you're having to deal with. The only suggestion that I have is not to give up. I certainly do wish you well.

Mitch