| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What volume pedals should I look at?
Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2015 10:37 pm    

My band recently picked up a 2nd guitar player, which has allowed me to start actually playing PSG. I made my debut last week at a gig. It went well, I definitely had some flubs, but that was expected on my first time out. Aside from my less than ideal amp situation*, I have only one complaint, my volume pedal. I am borrowing my brother's Behringer volume pedal for the time being, but it's noisy and doesn't have very good action to it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about just getting an Ernie Ball, but I wasn't sure if they are good for PSG. Any input would be appreciated!

**I started the gig on the other guitarists Hot Rod Deville, which I wasn't super crazy about, and switched to my Cube 60 after 2 sets when he wanted his Deville back. The cube sounded good, but didn't have quite enough volume for my tastes.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 1:44 am    

The biggest flaw with the Ernie Ball is the jacks on the front. I'd look at the Stage One, if you can find one.
There's usually a Goodrich 120 for sale on the forum, or asking on the Wanted to Buy forum.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 3:47 am    

Matt...The Ernie Ball should work fine, the front mounted jack problem can be overcome somewhat by utilizing cords with right angle plugs. (FWIW: Also replaced the 250K pot in mine with a 500K, recommended but not entirely necessary). Found one used at the local Guitar Center for $35.00 (EB Jr.)...As Lane suggested, the Stage One or Goodrich '120' are very good choices, but slightly more costly...Hope this helps.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 4:53 am    

If you want a pedal that you don't have to be concerned about the pot failure, get a Hilton pedal and be done with it. Its price scares some away but its a one time outlay, vice the recurring cost of replacing pots.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 5:37 am    

I'd find a used Goodrich 120 and put a Dunlop pot in. Mine's been good for five years with 100+gis/year.
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 8:31 am    

Like Jack says, The Hilton of course. And Keith has always taken good care of us steelers. Fancy pedals come...and fancy pedals go. With a Hilton's proven track record, do yourself a favor, buy a Hilton. Very Happy
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 9:21 am    

To me, the issue is whether or not you want a passive or an active volume pedal. I personally prefer passive pot pedals, and among them, I prefer an old standalone Sho Bud volume pedal. I just like the way they feel. The Goodrich 120 is also good, and there are others. These come standard with a 500K pot, with which you may notice a slight decrease in high-end as you pull the volume back on the pedal. I sort of like that, but if I want more brilliance, I use a variable input impedance buffer like the Sarno Freeloader, which I use more or less like a tone control - it attaches to the right-rear leg of the steel.

I started out with an Ernie Ball that I had been using with guitar for years, but they were the older type with side jacks. I personally will not use the newer ones with front jacks - my response was, "What were they thinking?". As David N. points out, the other disadvantage with the EBs is that they were designed for standard guitar, whose pickup impedances tend to be a lot lower, and thus come with 250K pots. The treble degradation as you lower the pot is even more noticeable. A buffer can help with this, of course, but I prefer 500K.

The active pedals like the Hilton are good, no doubt. If you really want to get the Ferrari of active pedals, Telonics makes an excellent one which can give you multiple tapers and more, for even more money. I personally don't need any of this - a good pot pedal sounds fine to me, and the variable impedance buffer gives tons of tonal flexibility. The other downside to an active pedal is having to have a power cable run under the steel. I just don't want to fool with it, I already have too much stuff going on - I play multiple instruments on most gigs. YMMV, but that's my take.

One thing on the pot pedals, and a big reason many have moved to active, is that pots ain't what they used to be, and some of them get scratchy very quickly. I have dredged up a more-or-less lifetime supply of NOS Allen-Bradley pots. But as Olli points out, the Dunlop pots have a pretty good lifespan.
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 4:21 pm    

Quote:

To me, the issue is whether or not you want a passive or an active volume pedal

So true. An active pedal to me anyway, sounds better, no loss of tone, and no dreaded maintenance. Worth the little extra money right there. I started off with a pot pedal years ago. It didn't take me long to change over. Glad I did. The Telonic looks fancier, but when all is said and done, it works your volume...right?
Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 8:58 pm    

I have an old Peavy Valverb in front of my Goodrich 120. I don't use it for reverb. It has a 40 watt tube preamp and 3 EQ knobs that gives me some tone controls. My tone is many times better than no Valverb and much better than if I bypassed the pot VP also without the Valverb. I had a Boss VP once that seem sterile in comparison to the pot. If I lost the Valverb, I think it would cost some bucks to substitute what I have.

I think it falls somewhere between a Black Box and a Revelation in tone benefits.

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.

Last edited by Richard Wilhelm on 4 Apr 2015 9:26 pm; edited 10 times in total
Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 9:16 pm    

And a related question to Brad Sano. How would the Revelation Preamp incorporate a volume pedal?

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 11:21 pm    

Richard Wilhelm wrote:
How would the Revelation Preamp incorporate a volume pedal?

You plug your guitar directly into the Rev. pre-amp. The signal goes thru one amp stage and then out thru your volume pedal and back into the Rev. In other words, you don't need a buffer amp in your pedal, because it's in the Rev. A passive pedal works fine, unless the pot is bad.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2015 7:51 am    

It is my belief that there will always be a place for a passive volume pedal- no batteries and no cord to plug in. As Dave correctly stated - the impedance of most typical pedal steel guitar pickups is far greater than that of most 6 string electric guitar pickups and really requires a 500k pot to lessen the tone sucking features that an in-line pot presents. The Ernie Ball pedals mostly come w 250k pots and, IMHO, offer a less than an optimal choice for a pedal steel guitarist- Goodrich has always been my favorite choice for a passive volume pedal.
Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2015 6:04 pm    

When I read someone above saying something about the front jacks on the Ernie Ball, I thought to myself "That wont bother me..." Good thing I tried one with my PSG before ordering. What a dumb idea to put them there.

Looking around, I think I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used Goodrich later this summer once I'm actually making some money.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 8:11 am    

There are Ernie Ball pedals with the jacks on the side. You just need to look around.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 8:59 am    

I like the Ernie Ball with jacks on the end - I use one for practice (Telonics for gigs)...with right angle jacks on the cables the plugs keep the pedal from jamming up against my pedal bar tightening knob and preventing the pedal from closing fully...plus not having long plugs sticking out the side leaves more room for my little effects pedal board next to the volume pedal.

so some like 'em, some don't...
Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 12:11 pm    

I did like the feel of the EB pedal. I'm going to watch for a side jack one, as well.

I actually had one with side jacks about 6-7 years ago, but I didn't use it much and lent it to a friend. I never saw it again.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 12:44 pm    

I used an Ernie Ball with jacks on the side for years and still keep it in the car as a back up if the Hilton I've been using for the last 12 years ever breaks.

Get a Hilton.

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 1:55 pm    

Hilton 110% all the way

Just far enough away from Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 8:42 pm    

OK, this may be a dumb question, but I,ve heard that the only dumb question is the one that hasen't been asked.......so, my question: what is the difference between a "passive and active" VP? I have a Goodrich 120, battery operated, no plug-in to an outlet. Is that passive or active? I like it a lot.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 6:44 am    

Active means that it has active electronic elements capable of gain, like transistors or ICs. Passive means that it has only passive electronic elements in it - i.e., resistors, capacitors, inductors, or transformers, diodes, and so on.

Active electronic elements require an external power source. Passive electronic components don't require power themselves. But some passive pedals - usually pedals with switches - use external power for switch lights.

I assume your Goodrich is one of their active volume pedals. Are you sure it's a Goodrich 120? I've never seen a 120 that needs batteries.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 9:24 am    

"I prefer an old standalone Sho Bud volume pedal. I just like the way they feel. The Goodrich 120 is also good,"

100% on the feel and sound of the old Shobud pedals! Back when I was using a stereo rack, I bought a Goodrich active stereo pedal. Studio engineers would turn to me and say, "You have a slight buzz." I tried everything! Lifting grounds, etc., etc.. Nothing worked. I'd get out the old Bud pedal, and they'de tell me, "Buzz is gone, and the guitar sounds better too." I have an L 120 as my spare.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Bill Davison

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 12:36 pm    

Dave,

It's a Goodrich L-10-K. Runs off a 9 volt battery. No plug-in for a 110 volt. I like it a lot but I wish there was a way to stiffen the action as it is a little to loose for me. Other than that, it's great.
Bill Davison

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:46 pm    

OK, this may be a dumb question, but I,ve heard that the only dumb question is the one that hasen't been asked.......so, my question: what is the difference between a "passive and active" VP? I have a Goodrich 120, battery operated, no plug-in to an outlet. Is that passive or active? I like it a lot.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 10:35 pm    

General response... if it has a battery, it's active. This normally means there's a buffer before the pot, but active pedals run the gamut from voltage-controlled amplifiers (VCA's), to light-bulb-illuminated LDR's (light dependent resistors), to all kinds of hybrids of these.

Question for the group... if the pedal has just a light bulb and an LDR, is it active? I'd tend to think not... but battery pedals don't normally have this kind of arrangement, I've only seen this with 120vac powered pedals, although it would work with an LED, probably.

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2015 6:52 am    

Mine does not have any lights on it.