| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dusty Owens
Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 10:29 am    

I recieved word from Dusty's family yesterday that he had passed away that morning. Although Dusty recorded on major labels and duets with Donna Darlene, he was probably best known for writing the song "Önce More", which has been recorded many times over the years by top country legends, and more recently by the Desert Rose Band.

Dusty was a warm wonderful person in addition to being a great singer and songwriter.

Last edited by Mike Headrick on 7 Apr 2015 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 12:03 pm    

Sad to hear this. I've been to a jam at his Tampa home before he had the stroke.
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 2:06 pm    

I believe that people like Dusty Owens were/are the backbone of country music. While the 'MEGASTARS'...so-called NASHVILLE SOUND people (what crap) were/are chasing the dollar and compromising what country music is/was, people like Dusty Owens, Abbie Neal, Cowboy Phil, Carl Stuart, Doc Williams and all of the other regional/local country singers kept the flame of REAL country music burning. I remember the WWVA Jamboree with great fondness. Just turn on the GOO next Saturday and listen.................with the exception of the 'Old Guard'......it is AWFUL........!!!!!! I will never darken its doorway again.

Long live the music and the memory of people like Dusty Owens.
Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 4:44 am    

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I learned about Dusty by reading on the site Hillbilly-Music.com.
He had a great career and the man that has this web site was a friend of his, and said he was a very nice person. Sad
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 8:16 am    

Here is the obituary from the Tampa Tribune, published April 1.

OWENS, Robert "Dusty", a country music singer known for such hits as "Hello Operator," "Just Call On Me" and "Once More," passed away Friday, March 27, 2015 at the age of 84. Born in Flint, MI to Ignatius (Jim) and Anna Kucharski, Dusty began his musical career at age 16, playing as an accordionist on WWOK. He subsequently played on KMA, WHO and WWVA, and in 1953 was signed by Columbia Record Co. In 1957 Dusty moved with his wife Betty to Temple Terrace, FL. He graduated from Florida College and received his M.A. at USF. He was employed variously as a motivational speaker, teacher, and minister. He was a proud Rotarian with a 30-year perfect attendance record, presiding as District Governor (1990 to 1991) and National Song Leader. He served on the Temple Terrace City Council in 1989 and on the Amway Board of Directors for many years. In 1983 Dusty, along with 49 other artists, was honored by the Wheeling Jamboree for making the greatest contributions to country music in the last 50 years. In 2003 he established the internet station TCM Radio. In 2006 he was inducted into America's Old Time Country Music Hall of Fame. "Once More" has been recorded over 100 times, by artists including Porter Wagoner, George Jones, Dolly Parton, Vince Gill, and Roy Acuff. Always vivacious and playful, Dusty invested each day with his passions: he was a pilot, baseball player, bowler, linguist, technophile, video gamer, and avid Tampa Bay Rays fan. To his family and friends he was generous in love. Dusty was preceded in death by his son, Phillip Owens and his sister, Patricia Robbins. Survivors include his beloved wife of 65 years, Betty Owens; his son, Loren Owens (Michele Martin); daughters, Paula Nichols (Tony) and Rachel DeLuna (Mike Caruso); brother, Richard Kucharski (Brenda); five grandchildren, Ryan & Kara Mauldin, Jorel Juncal and Tristan & Bella DeLuna, and great-grandson, Amari Gonzalez. Dusty will be remembered by his family in a private ceremony held at a later date - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tbo/obituary.aspx?n=robert-owens-dusty&pid=174533430&fhid=29892#sthash.Q7hhIjPd.dpuf