| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Robben Ford CD with Robert Randolph
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:29 pm    

I just got a heads up from Amazon that Robben Ford has a new Cd coming out and has RR playing on it. I've always liked Robben and it's great to see him having Robert on it.

Looking forward to hearing it.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 4:44 am    

I'm a Robben Ford fan from his first notes on 'Court and Spark.'
That suspended ninth resolution got me to hearing pedal steel, even though it wasn't.
RR must be a fan from way back too.

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 5:48 am    

This should be interesting!

Charlie, I love Court and Spark, but that was Larry Carlton on that one. I think Robben played on the next record, Hissing of Summer Lawns.

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 6:36 am    

Absolutely right, I don't have my gas mask on this morning.
Yes, it was definitely Larry's approach.
I do think Robben toured with Ms Mitchell.

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 8:02 am    

You can hear three of the songs from the new album Into The Sun on SoundCloud

Breath Of Me [with ZZ Ward]
https://soundcloud.com/mascotlabelgroup/04-breath-of-me

Justified [with Keb' Mo' & Robert Randolph]
https://soundcloud.com/mascotlabelgroup/06-justified

High Heels And Throwing Things [with Warren Hayynes]
https://soundcloud.com/mascotlabelgroup/07-high-heels

More info from Robbens sajt
http://robbenford.com/?p=896

// Anders

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 10:57 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Absolutely right, I don't have my gas mask on this morning.
Yes, it was definitely Larry's approach.
I do think Robben toured with Ms Mitchell.

He did. I saw her in probably 1974 with Robben and Jaco Pastorius in full samurai mode. Memorable concert.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 12:05 pm    

That too will bring steel guitar to a wider audience. A good thing indeed.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 5:08 pm    

Thanks Anders for the sound clips, great stuff.

I have been a fan of Robben since his Yellow Jacket days, got to see him live doing 'Talk to your Daughter' at the Bottom Line in NYC, and saw him play with Miles at the Beacon Theatre in the late 80's.

He used to have a weekly gig at Michels uptown in NYC, of which I never went but regret, he then took a leave of absence with hand-carpal tunnel issues.

Charlie, I am also a huge Larry Carton fan, having first being exposed to him at the before mentioned KTXT-FM Lubbock on Jazz night on a Crusaders cut- 'Sweet and Sour', and after that Robben fell in line and all those guys playing with volume pedals and sounding like steel guitars, its a weird progression, and then Jaco, bought him a beer at seventh ave. South in the NYC village a few years before he passed, what a player, Michael Brecker also, sadly they're all gone now, Hiram Bullock too!

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 8:15 pm    

I have to set the record straight. After checking on the Joni Mitchell website, which has a chronology of the appearances in her career, I find that my mind conflated two different times I saw her at Meriwether Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland: in 1974 with Robben (Max Bennett on bass), and in 1979 with Jaco (Pat Metheny on guitar). Guess that was two memorable concerts. Embarassed
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 5:10 am    

Craig Stock wrote:
Thanks Anders for the sound clips, great stuff.

I have been a fan of Robben since his Yellow Jacket days, got to see him live doing 'Talk to your Daughter' at the Bottom Line in NYC, and saw him play with Miles at the Beacon Theatre in the late 80's.

He used to have a weekly gig at Michels uptown in NYC, of which I never went but regret, he then took a leave of absence with hand-carpal tunnel issues.

Charlie, I am also a huge Larry Carton fan, having first being exposed to him at the before mentioned KTXT-FM Lubbock on Jazz night on a Crusaders cut- 'Sweet and Sour', and after that Robben fell in line and all those guys playing with volume pedals and sounding like steel guitars, its a weird progression, and then Jaco, bought him a beer at seventh ave. South in the NYC village a few years before he passed, what a player, Michael Brecker also, sadly they're all gone now, Hiram Bullock too!

Craig, we probably went to a lot of the same shows. I saw Robben's first or second gig with Miles--they were opening for BB King on his 70th birthday. I felt Robben was a little unsure of himself there and thought it was a step down from the previous guitarists (Stern and Sco). But I had no clue it was Robben, I just wondered "who is that kid on guitar?"

Anyway, I've seen RF quite a few times, including the Bottom Line show. I also have a pretty good tape from Mikel's. His playing on the first Yellowjackets record is still my favorite of him.

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 6:02 am    

I did not know that Robben played with Miles, nor with the Yellowjackets.
This album sounds smart, lots of talent. The Keb Mo and RR street scene rap, and good vocals--I think the future in solo albums is
the same for steel records, not just solo, not just instrumentals.
He seems to have risen to the level of really good record producers.

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 6:26 am    

Here are a few for you, Charlie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RepOlMWd510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU6FRrR3upE

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 6:33 am    

Awright!

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 4:42 pm    

Mike, yes I was at that show, Miles opened for BB, miles played the whole show with his back to the audience, always the rebel. I didn't know it was Robben opon guitar till the end of the show when he was introduced, he looked so different then the pictures of him that I had seen, long greasy black hair and he did look really young. Totally surprised he was there.

I saw Miles before that show around the same time at the Pier, and it was either Schofield or Stern with him. Man, that seems like a long time ago and I guess it was.

I really like Robben on Tom Scott and the L.A. Express albums, as well as Larry Carlton with Scott. I have all that stuff on Lp, really need to transfer it to Cd. They both
have a lot of soul.

I'd love to hear the Mikel's stuff, just never made it there, pretty far uptown, always worked early on weekends and said I would go someday, kinda like seeing Les Paul at Iridium, never did that. My buddy did about 3 months before he died, good move on his part.

The track with Keb Mo and RR is great, I will definitely get that Cd.

Hey Charlie, that yellowjacket's album that Mike posted was another that I was exposed to at KTXT in Lubbock. Too weird.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 9:51 pm    

When I was first getting into jazz guitar back in the seventies, someone gave me a bootleg tape of a young Robben Ford doing a jazz set from back in the days he was with Jimmy Witherspoon. It was the first time I ever heard anyone play jazz changes with a blues sensibility and tone. No pedals or effects, just a Super 400 and a cranked Fender Super Reverb. That tape completely changed my direction, and the way I thought about jazz guitar. I never heard anybody play like that, before or since.

I never got to hear Robben live, but hearing Robert Randolph at a local club many years ago resulted in irreversible hearing damage. My own fault, I guess, but that's the memory I carry around of RR. Still, I'll bet their collaboration will be good.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 8:03 am     Robben Ford

I first became aware of Robben Ford when he and Pat Ford were a members of Charlie Musselwhite's band.

Here's a couple of tracks from Musselwhite's 1971 album Takin' My Time: (Charlie Musselwhite-vcls. Harmonica; Robben Ford-guitar; Pat Ford-drums; Skip Rose-Piano):
"Wild, Wild Woman"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAHLuyIQzDc

"Takin' My Time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLZsKupkYoY

Here's a track from Musselwhite's 1974 album Goin' Back Down South: (Charlie Musselwhite-vcls. Harmonica; Robben Ford-Alto sax; Pat Ford-drums; Skip Rose-Piano):
"Blue Stu"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldl59I7r4bs

After hearing Robben on these two Arhoolie-label albums, I thought he was strictly a blues guitarist. So, I bought a copy of his 1979 solo album, The Inside Story. I was surprised - it was primarily a pop-jazz sounding record. A foreshadowing, if you will, of his work with the Yellowjackets. I didn't listen to it very much (still don't) with the exception of the song, "North Carolina" which has more of a bluesy feel to it. Here's a YouTube of the full album ("North Carolina" starts at 10:44):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEQaINpusLk

Keep on pickin'
Glenn