| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changer Rebuild....follow up to Cleaner Question
Brian Brgant

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 6:29 pm    

The changer is out....glad I took the leap!
So the changer is out, dissembled, and wiped down with Naphtha. Now the parts are soaking in Naphtha. Sadly it looks like a partial rebuild. The changer axle is worn and grooved. Off to the machine shop to have one made tomorrow. Also there is lots of slop in most of the changer fingers. I guess there is peening in my future after all Lane. And It is grooved/worn where the changer lever finger hits the whatchamacallet for raises and lowers. (the main part that pivots on the shaft and holds the string) I guess that would be the bridge?(duh!) Can I gently buff those grooves out without damaging the mechanics of the the device? Between every changer finger and string bridge there was a spacer washer that seems to be nylon? They were also stacked at the ends to take up slack on the axle. It seems contrary to oil nylon? I think I would like to replace them with brass or copper? Some were a bit damaged. And no they are not soaking in the naphtha. Maybe it is some other material not affected by oil. Does anyone know where I can get replacements for them?AND MAN WAS THIS THING NASTY!!!!. Grime and grit holy shit! My fingers will be stained for days. It was rebuilt in 2000. I am betting that is the last time it was taken out and cleaned up.
If ya'll are tired of this, cause ya heard it all before, I can cease and desist. Not a problem. I could use a bit o mentoring if anyone is interested you can PM me.
Thanks, Brian
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 6:54 pm    

What brand of guitar Brian?
Brian Brgant

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 7:40 pm    

It is a Remington Sustain Master. It has been modified and some of the machining is pretty ugly......probably not original. Not on the changer itself, but some of the component parts to the changer. I am not sure how many PSG's Herb made. He mostly did consoles from what I gather/read? Al Winters was the original builder. I have no Idea how it looked when it started out, but now it is a 5X8 now. Why, do you have parts for PSG's?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 7:47 pm    

Peening isn't hard. Set the finger on a bench dome down, use something as a punch/drift (cross shafts work well, if they're steel or stainless), and tap GENTLY with a hammer. You want to have it tight enough that wiggle play is almost nil, but that it rotates freely. Better ten gentle taps than one mighty whack.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 7:51 pm    

feel free to keep asking questions on here. someone will have good answers for you. ..and others will just talk..ha ha..but we all learn a little more through your questions.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 8:16 pm    

Brian... If I am reading this correctly, the changer finger ( the part the string goes over ) is grooved.
You can take some 400 grit sandpaper and gently sand these out. Take care to follow the radius of the finger so you don't create flat spots. The changer shaft can be rotated, polished, lubricated and re installed. This will give you a smooth surface upon which to reinstall the fingers. Make sure to lubricate the shaft and the fingers upon reinstallation. Please follow Lane's advice if you have to peen the changer finger rivets. These also need to be lubricated. Good luck with your rebuild.
Brian Brgant

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 8:20 pm    

Thanks guys. Yea Lane, I am not worried about peening. It is a pretty crude and basic operation. No special tools required. Like you said to be done gently not forcefully. That is what I presumed. Take out the lateral wiggle, but be sure they pivot freely.
Brian Brgant

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 8:36 pm    

Hey Jim, thanks for your advice. I think I need a diagram with proper names of parts so as to be clear on what I am saying. So it is not just string grooves worn in the changer bridge. That is not a big deal. Hell it is aluminum and the strings are steel so that is going to happen. I can buff that out if it is too deep. It is where the changer finger stop hits the changer bridge to raise, lower, or hold the pitch. A couple of them have some pretty good divots which I can see causing tuning issues....maybe? I mean if the stop is already operating in that divot, what is the harm in smoothing it out some?

And I did flip the changer axle over. It is better but still not great. It won't cost much to replace it. I am sure(pretty sure) it will just be bar stock cut to length.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 3:49 am    

Brian, this site has a lot of good info about steel guitars... https://www.steelguitar.com/.

They have an extensive section detailing "What's This Part".

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 5:13 am    

Brian Brgant wrote:
It is where the changer finger stop hits the changer bridge to raise, lower, or hold the pitch. A couple of them have some pretty good divots which I can see causing tuning issues....maybe? I mean if the stop is already operating in that divot, what is the harm in smoothing it out some?

I'd move the fingers around, swapping the least worn for the most worn.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 9:43 am    

Don't peen. Change the size of the spacers between the fingers or add one at each end.
You can buy spacers from McMaster Carr or have your machinist make them. You can use aluminum spacers and lap on a diamond stone or 600 wet dry paper to size.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 9:46 am    

Chris, if the rivets in the finger are really sloppy, why not re-peen? Since you've been messing about with vintage guitarmachines, I'll give you credit for knowing what you're talking about, but I'm curious why?
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 11:13 am    

Lane, you are absolutely right. I am so Emmons Push Pull and solid finger oriented, I forgot about riveted fingers. I have JCHs and used to have Sho-Buds with scissor fingers, but I never rebuilt any of those guitars. You are right.