| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Are there any stores that stock lap steels in San Francisco?
Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 9:23 am    

A friend of mine has got the lap steel fever and he's excited to check out different lap steels to get an idea what will suit him best.
He is going to visit San Francisco next week and he'd appreciate recommendations for shops that might stock lap steels in the area.
Any tips where he might go to?

Thanks in advance!
Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 9:59 am    

I'm not sure about the city of San Francisco, but Gryphon Stringed Instruments is in Palo Alto, just a drive down Hwy 101.

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 10:37 am    

Tall Toad Music is in Petaluma, about 45-50 minutes north of San Francisco. They usually have an assortment of used lapsteels.

About an hour or so in the opposite direction in Santa Cruz is Sylvan Music.

Looks like they carry Cruztone and Asher lapsteels.

I would imagine there are more stores closer to San Francisco that have some as well.
Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 2:36 pm    

Thank you Ralph! Thank you Dave! Your input is much appreciated! Smile
All the 3 shops you linked up sound like well worth a visit. Gryphon has a nice collection of lap steels in stock. As my pal is on a business trip I hope it ain't too much of a mission for him to drive down there.

I've unexpectedly seen lap steels in used/vintage guitar shops. Are there any shops like that in SF probably?
Keep 'em coming! Thank you!
Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2015 12:27 am    

Hi there Oliver. I purchased a stringmaster T8 from Gryphon with just a few emails. I found them good to deal with and fairly representing the goods they sell. I negotiated the price and they packed it well for the trip downunder.

I will recommend them.
Greg Moynihan

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2015 7:33 am    

Yep, Gryphon is excellent, I grew up in the neighborhood, that's where I saw a Rickenbacher A22 for the first time

San Francisco itself is, in my humble experience, perhaps a bit dry on steel guitar. I lived there and played in a few bands from 2001-2007, and I think I saw one pedal steel player at one show (the Mother Truckers, iirc), and I never saw one lapsteel played by anyone in that time. Laptops, on the other hand, seems like every other band has one by now, am I right? Laughing

Real Guitars is perhaps the most excellent vintage/used guitar shop in all of SF, jammed full of surprises and treasures, and they're really laid back and friendly. I would say they are the best place for vintage gear in the whole city. The only thing is, last time I was there was years before I got into steel, I wouldn't have known a B6 from a B3 back then, so I cannot recall if they had steels or not. So maybe call ahead. The shop is halfway down a funky little side street, behind a very nondescript door, but definitely worth seeking.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/real-guitars-san-francisco

15 Lafayette St
San Francisco, CA 94103
b/t Minna St & Mission St in SoMa
Phone number (415) 552-3310
Mon-Sat 11:00 am - 6:00 pm

Also, not strictly in the city, but another true gem is Players Guitars in San Rafael. The proprietor, Jim, specializes in non-Fender/Gibson brands of vintage gear: Supro, Harmony, Kay, Airline, National, Valco, etc. Jim is worth a call for sure, he's a fella who knows where find anything within a hundred miles.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/players-guitars-san-rafael

844 B St
San Rafael, CA 94901
Phone number (415) 453-8531
Ties-Sat, 12-6
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2015 8:31 am    

Quote:
and I think I saw one pedal steel player at one show (the Mother Truckers, iirc)

Very Happy That would have been either me on steel or Max Butler! There's actually a few steel players in SF that play regularly, but not many.

I forgot about Players Guitars in San San Rafael! Jim is a buddy of mine, in fact I just saw him last night at my gig. The store just moved down the street about a month ago so not sure if this address is correct. Last time I was in the store a long time ago he had very few lap steels. Worth at least a call though since he turns stuff over.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2015 3:00 pm    

Call Amoeba Records and ask Joe Goldmark. He will give you some ideas where to shop.

By the way, the last time I was in Haight Ashbury Music Center I asked if they had any pedal steels. They sent me down to the storage rooms in the basement where they showed me a Sho-Bud Pro III and asked me to set it up there. No room on the floor upstairs. I bet it is still there. Mint with Super Pro undersides. Blonde. Not a scratch on the case even. They were asking $2700 so I passed. No owners were there to make an offer to get it out of the basement and out the door.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 7:26 am    

I would agree with all the suggestions so far. I think the best selection I've seen locally is at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto.

There aren't a lot of vintage guitar stores left in San Francisco. Real Guitars has some dusty old stuff, I think a couple of Harmony lap steels last time I was in.

If my stuff wasn't all packed away due to construction, I'd invite him to come play some of mine. If your friend needs any other tourist advice, have him contact me.
Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 4:43 am    

Big thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!
My buddy Rich is in SF already and he probably sits in one of the mentioned places right now, with a plank of wood on his lap and a smile in his face.
(No wait, what time is it over there? He more likely sits in front of a plank of wood then, with something else on his lap and a smile in his face. Rolling Eyes )
Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 8:56 pm    

Is Subway Guitars over in Berkeley still in business? They always had a bunch of odds and sods and probably a few lap steels as I recall. But it's been a few years since I was last there.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 8:45 am    

is lundberg's still in berkeley?