| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installation problem with Bradshaw Dunlop pot
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 8:51 am    

I just finished installing a new Bradshaw pot for a friend,, in a Goodrich pedal. The instructions that came with the pot was very good, except they did not mention how to extend the original wires, if they were to short to reach the small post on the back of the new pot.

My solution was use wire ties like trash bag ties, clean the wire and bend it in the middle, wrap it a around the post on the pot one time. Then twist it to make one wire, slip a piece of heat shrink on the original wires.i use small locking surgical pliers for a heat sink. Snap pliers to each post and solder them, same for the wires, now slip the heat shrink tubing down to the post making sure all the bare wire is covered. Maybe this will help those who have the problem of short wires. Willie sims.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 8:56 am    

Easiest way is to ask Tom to put leads on it before he ships it. Part of his EXCELLENT customer service is that he doesn't charge extra for it.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 9:26 am    

Maybe Tom could do this to all of them before selling them. It seems they are hard to solder wires to them. Tom is one of the best guys to deal with. Has been since I first started playing 45 years ago.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 9:27 am    

You are correct LANE it would be better for Tom to put extensions on the new pot. But some folks don't know the wires are too short until they start to install the new pot.
My method is a lot easier than shipping the pot back to Tom. And less expensive. Willie SIMS.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 10:00 am    

Richard you are right a bout the wires being difficult to solder to the small post on the Dunlop pot. My way using the wire ties guarantees the wire will not come off the post. Using the surgical locking pliers as a heat sink keeps from overheating the post on the pot.

Just make sure the iron is really hot, and just touch the post with a drop of solder on the tip of the iron. Some of the gurus will probably say it's not a good way, but it worked for me. Willie SIMS.

PS. be nice to know if this helps anyone.