| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Randolph's Power Slide.
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 9:00 am    

After watching RR videos of him and his Power Slide, I contacted Peavey about a single coil pick guard, and adjustable bridge. I was told they aren't currently available, but to check back in a couple of weeks.
I dislike the pickup on mine, and have some humbuckers I was going to try, but maybe I'll wait and install single coils. (I would love to set the intonation also!)
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2015 2:27 pm    

Bill,

I found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dvAID9FMA

It looks like an upcoming Robert Randolph signature model to me. I like the adjustable bridge, single coil neck pickup and the silver sparkle color. I already have a Powerslide, but I'm sensing a new acquisition when this becomes available. I'm beginning to believe that different tunings weren't invented to play certain songs easier, but as an excuse to buy more lap steels.

-Don
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2015 5:25 pm    

The guy interviewing Hartley Peavey in the NAMM video seemed virtually clueless about anything having to do with both lap steel, and Robert Randolph.

90% of SGF members would likely be more qualified to conduct this interview.

What I would have told Hartley is that the stock strap is no good for playing standing up, rides too high with limited adjustability.

Wait a second - I should have e-mailed Peavey about that myself probably two years ago but I spaced it out. Shocked

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 11:42 am    

Obviously marketed to the slide blooze wanker crowd. Why not 8 strings? Hartley says: "nobody would know how to tune it".

In other words, tune it to open E, crank the distortion and wail...
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 9:22 pm    

If they put 8 strings on it I'd BUY one. Cool That's a total deal killer for me... even if I HAD $4,000 for a Scott Walker, it's no good for me without enough strings!
http://scottwalkerguitars.com/guitars/lap-steel/
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2015 5:29 am    

I suppose someone who builds lapsteels could (copy) the basic shape (without being sued) And make an 8 string version.
One thing however is the material Peavey uses is very lightweight, and a wooden body would be much heavier.

The Powerslide is ultralightweight and I could easily play a 4 hour gig standing with it.

I played mine at church with the worship team, and I got a few funny remarks that it looked like a "Jetsons" spaceship or a guitar used by the band KISS. But it sounded great and everybody really liked it.

I eventually sold it because I really prefer more strings.

Dom Wink

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2015 7:27 am    

i think Hartley is dead on with this concept - its well thought out. Hartley is a smart guy and he is a survivor in a very tuff industry. he is right about having 6 strings and i'm sure there wouldn't be enough interest from the few 8 string players to justify the retooling necessary. he wants to get guitar players interested in the lap steel and this is a great design.

its amazing peavey hasn't just given up on the entire steel crowd...they were the only manufacturer even acknowledging such a market, giving them a good product at a great price, and still everyone seems to enjoy rock throwing at their efforts.

if they are cheap enough, it would justify picking up one of these used when someone gets their kicks out of it and rework it more to my non-rock slide needs.

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2015 9:49 am    

If one uses a volume pedal while standing up, it very fast becomes uncomfortable. Switching legs works for a short period, but even that still becomes very uncomfortable and causes problems for the hip and spine.
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 8:33 am    

That's the one, Don. I really want the adjustable bridge to set the intonation. I like the single coil sound also, but the demo guitar doesn't seem to have a switch, just looks like 3 knobs. I may add a switch to quickly change the sound.
I'm about to contact Peavey again for parts to retrofit my PowerSlide.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 9:08 am    

David Mason wrote:
If they put 8 strings on it I'd BUY one. Cool That's a total deal killer for me... even if I HAD $4,000 for a Scott Walker, it's no good for me without enough strings!
http://scottwalkerguitars.com/guitars/lap-steel/

David, I know Scott a little bit, and I'm guessing if you had four grand to buy one of his steel guitars he'd be willing to build you an 8-string.

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2015 12:40 pm    

Chris Templeton wrote:
If one uses a volume pedal while standing up, it very fast becomes uncomfortable. Switching legs works for a short period, but even that still becomes very uncomfortable and causes problems for the hip and spine.

Us 6 string players get by with it.
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 8:15 am    

I was starting to get a little excited about Peavey getting deeper into the slide scene, till I saw where they are closing down here in USA and taking everything overseas. Hmmmm.....
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 6:04 pm    

New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1LQamv9JM

The video mentions a new feature to the RR model I didn't know about, a bar attachment to move it out from your body. That might be a game changer for some people.

-Don
Greg Moynihan

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 4:56 am    

The improved electronics, nut, and adjustable belly bar all seem pretty nifty, but why, oh why, are they putting an individually adjustable bridge on it? That's generally not required on any steel guitar that is built correctly. I don't know... Maybe the ideas is that one can adjust the action for various string gauges and get a perfectly flat bar action for any tuning?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2015 1:14 pm    

Greg,
That's exactly the question I was going to bring up. Loni, at Lapdancer offers a great bridge for lapsteels using a Tele bridge, One does not need to intonate a steel bridge.

""BigAss Bridge"
Replace your puny three piece saddles with this oversized stainless steel one piece 3/8" diameter bridge. Comes with two adjustment bolts, and retro fits all three saddle vintage style Tele trays. Increased mass = more sustain and better tone! It's the perfect compliment to your RedNeck equipped Tele, or use it with a nut extender on your wimpy stock neck. You don't even need to take the strings off to install it.
Direct price is $30.00 including shipping lower 48 states. "
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2016 4:26 pm    

I just saw one for sale today online: https://8thstreet.com/Product/Get/73387/peavey-power-slide-robert-randolph-signature-guitar-6-string-slide-instrument-with-gigbag

Actually, I'm disappointed. It looks like it has the same bridge and nut as the regular model and it costs nearly twice as much. There's always the possiblility that the actual production model is different. There's also no mention of the signature model being available on Peavey's website.

-Don
Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 9:02 am    

Don the bridge on the guitar at 8th street looks different than the one showed in th NAMM commerical. Am I seeing right or what? Let me know what you think? Joe
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 1:06 pm    

Joe Breeden wrote:
Don the bridge on the guitar at 8th street looks different than the one showed in th NAMM commerical. Am I seeing right or what? Let me know what you think? Joe

Yes, it looks just like the one on my current Powerslide. The videos at NAMM and the ones where Robert Randolph is playing show a different bridge and nut. I was kind of hoping Peavey was going to sell replacement upgraded bridges and nuts for the current models.

All is not lost, however. I found another listing showing the upgraded bridge and nut: https://reverb.com/item/1934406-peavey-powerslide-robert-randolh-signature-slide

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when Peavey makes an official announcement and/or someone has one in their possession.

-Don
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2016 6:22 pm    

The Robert Randolph Signature model is now on Peavey's website: http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1515/118861

It's pictured with the upgraded bridge and nut AND an "adjustable belly rest". The tuners may be upgraded as well. I think it's pretty cool. I'll eventually get one.

-Don
Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 11:12 am    

David Mason wrote:
If they put 8 strings on it I'd BUY one. Cool That's a total deal killer for me...it's no good for me without enough strings!

Like these ?
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=194077&highlight=peavey