| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIGSBY Historian help requested
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2015 6:59 pm    

If my memory serves me correctly, Speedy West was Paul Bigsby's first steel guitar purchaser.

What might have been the order of subsequent BIGSBY Steel Guitar orders?

Billy Robinson; Leon McAuliff, Noel Boggs, Juaquin Murphy, B.Emmons, Bud Issacs, Wayne Burdick, etc. etc.

Just for reference.......who were the last half dozen purchasers of Bigsby Steel Guitars, the last one sold on or about what date?

Last edited by Ray Montee on 11 Feb 2015 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2015 8:13 pm    

I'm no Bigsby historian, but I thought the first one was built for Joaquin Murphey no later than 1946, possibly even 1945--the guitar that's seen in "Rockin' In The Rockies".

According to IMDB, that movie was released on April 17, 1945. I have no idea if that's accurate.

Hmmm.....maybe 1944.

Look here:

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/225

where it says that "Rockin' In The Rockies" was filmed over 19 days from December 1, 1944 to December 22, 1944. But I guess the Joaquin footage could have been filmed at some other time and inserted.

Last one maybe Eddie Gabbard's triple 8 dated 1/28/63 and still owned by Jussi Huhtakangas as far as I know.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2015 10:29 pm     Re: BIGSBY Historian help requested

Ray Montee wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, Speedy West was Paul Bigsby's first steel guitar purchaser.

What might have been the order of subsequent BIGSBY Steel Guitar orders?

Billy Robinson; Leon McAuliff, Noel Boggs, Juaquin Murphy, B.Emmons, Bud Issacs, Wayne Burdick,Bob Meadows, etc. etc.

Just for reference.......who were the last half dozen purchasers of Bigsby Steel Guitars, the last one sold on or about what date?
Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 6:36 am    

Hi Ray, you are right that Speedy West was the first player to get a Bigsby PEDAL steel guitar. I have the book written by Andy Babiuk, and on page 30 it tells the story of how Speedy got the first steel in 1948. It was an triple neck, 8 string, four pedal model, given to Speedy in February 1948. The guitar was priced at $750.00 and Speedy gave him a $50.00 down payment.

In late 1944 Joaquin Murphy got his two neck NON-PEDAL steel guitar from Paul Bigsby. In 1946, Paul built the T-8 for Joaquin, also a non-pedal guitar. In the late 1950's He built a pedal steel guitar for Joaquin as a single 8 with four pedals.

Hope this helps. The book on the Bigsby guitars is a great read and has some great photos of the guitars that he built, both steel guitars and electric guitars.

Dennis
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 12:58 pm    

Not a guitar, but I've always wondered about it. Operated via a pedal!

'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Diane Diekman

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2015 4:59 am    

Lloyd Green told me this about leaving Faron Young's Country Deputies: "I was playing a triple-neck Bigsby he'd bought for Joe Vincent. That's what I'd been using the entire time. I couldn't afford a real nice guitar in those days. It was a very expensive Bigsby steel guitar, triple-neck."

He dropped it off at Faron's house when he left the band. I don't know what happened to it after that.
Author of "Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins"