| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ist PSG: Fessenden S-10 or Sho Bud Pro 1
Larry Otis

Napa, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 11:08 pm    

What do you guys have to say? I'm on the verge of either a Fessenden S-10 3+5 or a "79 Shobud Pro 1 S-10. the fess is a 3=5 and the Shobud is 3+4. It's my first and I want to have a good rig to begin with. The Fess is a single neck with a double consul, padded. The Shobud is sooooo beautiful. Any input would be appreciated. thanks, Larry Otis
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 11:24 pm    

The Fess has a much, much greater chance of being a no muss, no fuss plug-n-play guitar. The Bud has a chance of being the guitar of your dreams but is more of a gamble unless you can have it checked out by a steeler who knows what's what. If you are way into vintage vibe, obviously the Bud is the winner but the technology difference is significant and unless the Fess has been seriously abused it is the hands-down safe choice. It will be a quiet, smooth, accurate, reliable axe. The Bud may or may not need professional attention.
I was giving my 2 cents to someone else a while ago in a similar situation and after talking with him some it was obvious that in the end, the Bud was the right choice for him because of his taste in classic instruments so it's your call--not a no-brainer. The best answer? Hey, be like Tommy White and have one of each!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 1:04 am    

Larry,our friend Jon has nailed it. That Bud is a great guitar to be sure.I feel however,the Fessy will be far less likely to be "tempremental". Many of us[not all.. but many]gave up our beloved old Buds because of the tendency of some of them to have problems keeping tune when temperatures/humidity ,change etc.Modern all pull guitars like the Fessy/Zum/Carter/Mullen/Franklin and MANY other great builders are the choice of many of us "working" steel guitarists for day in day out playing at gigs etc because of thier mechanical reliability. Most any GOOD quality steel of ANY era with a good amp and a good player will sound beautiful. I ,as well as many here on this forum feel a more modern "hi tech" instument will sound just as good as a "vintage" steel,and will be easier to play on a regular basis and will maintain tuning stability better than an older "vintage" steel. I feel older steel guitars are great to keep and enjoy AND to play regularly,but for me,if I could have only ONE steel,I would choose a top quality CURRENT production steel over a beautiful vintage steel. IMHO the greatest steel guitars EVER made are being produced today... as we "speak".. Those old Buds sure are SWEET tho'!!!!!! bob
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 1:07 am    

the Fessy without a doubt
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 2:04 am    

First guitar, take the Fessenden. I agree with the above advice. A Sho-Bud needs to go through and be tweeked by a competent shop before you buy it, and even then there could be problems. The Fessenden will be reliable.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 2:33 am    

Unless you plan on being a REAL under the hood type of steel "mechanique", then go for the Fessy.

They sound real sweet and have modern works inside.

I got a Bud because the price was killer, and also the sound, but I also KNEW in advance I would be learning this critter as a mechanic, as well as a player. And I knew Tommy CAss a great steel restorer would have his mits on it before me.

There are no steel mechanics here. And I am STILL learning to be both.
No gripes about that though.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 28 February 2004 at 02:33 AM.]

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 4:25 am    

A friend recently got a Fessy single neck with Wallace True Tone pickups. Killer guitar and sound. State of the art. The Sho-Bud would make a great 2nd vintage guitar to collect and play around with, but for reliable mechanics and up to date sound, get the Fessy. Remember, the PSG is as much of a machine as a musical instrument. Those old Bud's had beautiful cabinet works, but don't let looks sway you. If you want to make a comparison on looks, turn the guitars upside down and look at the mechanics.
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 5:02 am    

Well I've owned both the Pro I and a S-12 Fessy. The Fessy is still with me and the ShoBud is not.

I'd take the Fessy every day of the week and twice on Sunday over the ShoBud!! The biggest reason I changed was the tone of the ShoBud was not what I was looking for. It's a very popular brand and model but it didn't suit my taste.

I would suggest however playing both guitars and making up your mind. The mechanical side as mentioned above would also be a very important determining factor for me.
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 5:18 am    

Go for it,buy both!the kids can eat next week. Its a tough choice.Id have to go along with some of the above and say play both and buy the one YOU want!Haveing a steel that you really like goes a long way in motivating you to practice.Both nice steels for the right person.Good luck and let us all know wich one you choose and how you like after its in yourliving room!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 5:26 am    

One thing not mentioned: the Fessy is an SD-10 which will be much more comfortable for a beginner to play than will the single-cabinet Sho-Bud.

Late 1979 is also the vintage of Sho~Bud using the pot metal changer fingers and undercarriage parts.

This is a simple decision... the Fessenden should be your first choice. I own two Fessenden guitars and no Sho~Buds, though I've owned 6 Sho~Buds in the past that are all gone.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 6:10 am    

Larry: Go with the Fessy & you'll have one of the best sounding steels out there. The LXR-16 or the TT-10 sounds best on the Fessy. I have one 2 years old plays so smooth, stays in tune. Easy knee & pedal action. Can't go wrong.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 7:59 am    

A beginner should go with a modern low maintenance guitar. Buy the grand old antique later. The only thing not mentioned above is that most pedal steelers love to experiment with different changes than are on the guitar to begin with. I think most of us would recommend that a beginner start with a very standard setup. But eventually you will want to try a different change. It will be much easier for you to flip the Fessie over and make a change in a few minutes, and then fine tune the pedal action. The 5th knee lever on the Fessie is a natural place to try different things. This will be much more difficult on the Sho-Bud. Also, if anything breaks on the Fessie (unlikely), it will be easy to replace with parts from Fessenden (in fact you should get some spare parts to keep on hand). Repairs and parts for the Sho-Bud will be much more inconvenient to obtain and probably more expensive. As mentioned above, the Sho-Bud pot metal in those years is notorious for breaking. Replacing those parts with after market parts will be expensive, and not something a beginner should have to do.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 2:42 pm    

I am another Fessy user--my main axes for sure. Jerry will give you great support, too. I have a SD10 that I absolutely love. No question in my mind which I would choose...
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 4:56 pm    

I'm a Fessy newbie and all I can say is: why did I wait so long...

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2004 12:30 am    

Does this mean I shouldn't have chosen Sho-Bud as my first PSG?
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2004 5:24 am    

Leslie, I did choose a old Sho-Bud as my 1st PSG,
for various reason, and don't regret that choice.
Parts haven't been so hard to deal with either. Even though they are all from different eras, etc.
I have added several rods, levers, bellcranks and various changes.
Particularly for changing bellcrank positions the Fessy would be easier.

But that said, I have seen newer steels it would have been easier to do this too.
A Fessenden is one of them. Jim Cohen makes his sound great.

If you want to learn what makes these babies tick inside, then the Bud isn't a bad choice.
But if you DON'T, then get a modern steel.
Larry Otis

Napa, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2004 7:07 am    

Well I sure came to the right place. Even tho I can't play I got to sit down with the Fess and a steeler pal of mine and got music out of it in a few minutes,. So I bought it. And don't have to worry about shipping or damage. It was on Ebay but local to me. I 'm passionately into vintage guitars but a mechanic I am not. So maybe after I learn to drag the bar passable well I'll spring for a nice Sho-Bud. This is what's so good about the internet. Kindred spirits are easily found. Thanks everyone for making a difficult choice be easily accomplished. Best regards to all, Larry
Savell

Slocomb, AL
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 12:08 pm    

[This message was edited by Savell on 29 May 2005 at 07:01 PM.]

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 6:49 pm    

I Got A New SD.10 WITH PAD ABOUT FOUR WEEKS AGO FRIST FESSENDEN I EVER OWNED IT PLAYS SO EASY FESSENDEN? YES SONNY.

------------------
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 9:33 pm    

Get the Sho~bud......>ooopps too late; oh well
Actually Jerry builds a SuPER Fine Pedal sTeel; just look at the thickness of the maple body he uses>same as Shobud used..ah..ha.>...so great decision on that Fessy against that Shobud.
Herb of course is correct...as the '79 and newer; are not the prefered metal underneath the hood...>but I will go on the record to say..that any Shobud Built after about 1978 is NOT a ShoBud anymore as far as sound as I believe the True Shobud sound, left the building when inferior metals started to be used. Mechanics?? Well your gunna have to learn to tune and know how ANY pedal steel works and tunes eventually anyway....so I don't see the point in Matinence free thoughts of any pedal steel. Any pedal steeler saying he doesn't have to tune his steel as it plays perfectly and never has to touch the nylon tuners(or how ever the peds and knees tune)....I'll show you a steel player that plays OUT of TUNE...>period.
You will have to tune all the time if you want to play in tune; just know that and be ready for that with any pedal steel; if in fact you can hear proper intonation in the first place....and so starting out; make sure you learn how to tune properly by Ear and continue that process for the rest of your life and you will learn proper intonation eventually.
Have fun.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 29 April 2004 at 10:46 PM.]

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 9:34 pm    

I am another Fessenden player and highly advise going for it. I own two, expect to add a third to the collection soon. Not only do I have the tone I always searched for, but Jerry is fantastic to work with. No brainer IMNSHO.
Ron Jones

Lenoir City, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 7:54 pm    

Owned a Show-Bud Super -Pro about ten years ago. Loved it. Owned a Sho-Bud Maverick (not the wallpapercovered thing) I even liked it.Bought a Fessy SD-10 two months ago...Still in tune...Quiet...Plays great...Super tone and most important to me...I am learning faster than I have ever learned more playing less tinkering. Buy the Fessy.