| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Player
edward gibson

oxford, ms usa
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 8:35 am    

I'm new to the web site, and the steel guitar. I have been playing guitar and slide for years, but recently bought a lap to play with a honky tonk band. Wondering if anyone out there has any tips for 6-string C6/A7 players.
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 8:57 am    

The first tip, quite seriously, is to pick a subject (e.g. "C6 tuning" or "western swing" or even "new to steel") and do a search on this forum (click on "Search" up at the top right of the page. You'll get close to 2 years worth of information and history right there. (And spend hours reading stuff you'd never even have thought to ask about...!)
Enjoy
Nick
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2001 12:34 pm    

You'll never be the same!! I don't play your tuning, so I don't have any advice on that. Just have a great time, be patient with yourself, and don't be afraid to step outside the traditional boundaries. Find a home for lap steel in any genre of music. You may be surprised at where it fits.

It's a whole new world now. Welcome!!
John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2001 6:19 am    

I spent the first two years playing around with different tunings, and while that's probably necessary at first I probably overdid it and wasted some time while not getting really good at any tuning. I now keep my D8 in the same tunings all the time, and I'm trying to learn them realy well..
My experimenting is over for awhile, because I figure it makes a whole lot more sense to put more time into one or two tunings.

You're using one of the very best and most versatile 6-string tunings: you've got C6 or C6/A7 or straight A7 by raising one or both of your c's, and that's plenty of options. My advice would be stick with that for awhile and don't be too tempted to try other tunings until you're pretty comfortable.

And have fun.

oh, and play great.
Phil Wagner

Portland Oregon United States
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2001 5:14 pm    

Cindy Cashdollar has a great western swing none pedal video out.It deals mainly with c6 and is loaded with great info.For me though,once I was hooked I couldn't resist looking into p.s.g.So much fun.
Phil