| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Proposed Copedent
Trevor Marshall

Amesbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 1:36 pm    

I have a Bennett D10 into Twin Reverb with JBLs (having tried many amps this has the best sound so far). I'm still a progressing beginner and loving it. I play underarm guitar to a fairly good standard (and learning many other instruments) & understand chords pretty well & would like to open up some more options. I play classic covers of most genres.

My current copedent is fairly standard setup (I think) as attached 1.

In the future I'm thinking of changing it as attached 2 trying to integrate as many interesting changes/sound options as I've been able to learn about from researching other copedents, without getting too complicated I hope.

Bennett guitars have potential of 4 changes up and 4 down per string and my scale length is only 23.25" so I don't think there will be excessive pedal strain or tension issues but I'd appreciate any experience about this.

If any expert players have any insight about the advantages, issues or any constructive comments I'd be really happy to hear from you. There might be some split or interaction issues that I haven't realised or there might be other consequences I haven't thought about.

Also I'd appreciate any comments or advice about tuning, originally I bought a fancy tuner so I could tune all the harmonised offsets as shown from researching various recommendations but now I just tune it straight up 440Hz with no offsets & it seems fine - am I missing something or is straight up the norm now?
Cheers Trev

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 2:47 pm    

normally, you would lower string 2 a half step, then a full step along with string nine a half step.
String seven i raise along with string 1. Gives you a nice seventh with the pedals down.
Also, a full tone lower on string 6 is quite nice.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 3:08 pm    

Those of us that don't like the half stop on string 2, have split the Dand C# to different levers. Many have done so.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Trevor Marshall

Amesbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2015 1:08 am    

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Any other suggestions gratefully received.
Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2015 3:03 am    

Hi Trevor,

I'm far, far from being an expert but the only thing I would suggest for your E9 tuning (if you're up for making a few adjustments) is to move your pedal 5 to the pedal 0 position. Having the G#-G lowers next to the A pedal opens up more possibilities (the dominant 7th minus the root/diminished triad the obvious one, but also when combined with your E-Eb lever makes an ad hoc B-D pedal; as well as getting a nice C chord when combined with the B-Bb lower split).

I like playing around with my tuning options, and playing a Williams means it only takes a couple of minutes (I'm not sure if the Bennett is as easy to change?). The main thing for me is, how many useful musical options can I get out of this pedal or knee lever arrangement? If I can get three or more (i.e. a minor, a dominant 7th, another major triad when combined with another pedal or lever, etc.) then it's a winner, if it's two then it's tolerable, and if it's one I usually will change it to something else in a few weeks.

My pedal 0 raises the low G# to A#, and if I didn't find that so useful (for another major triad position, for a dominant 7th minus the root/diminished triad, for a scale note for the A/F combination, for a scale note for the open IV chord position, etc.) I would definitely choose the G#-G lowers in that spot!

Hope I haven't rambled on too much!

Greg
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2015 4:05 am    

I don't know if tuning straight up is the norm now, but you can always sweeten your thirds lower by a few cents if you like, to your taste.

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2015 10:53 am    

Concerning tuning:
In the past I've tried straight up - I especially can't tolerate the beats with E to F, and B to A# actuated (major triad).
How's it sound to you?
Do you find yourself compensating with subtle bar slant?
I think it gets worse depending on the amount of cabinet de-tune your guitar has.
I should try again on my new guitar.