| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I can't tune this D@#$ Guitar
Howard Macey

Lander, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 1:33 pm    

I am new to pedal steel. I have had three other beginner steels before this one ( this one being a semi-pro). They were Sho-bud Maverick, Carter Starter and an MSA sidekick. I was able to adjust the pedals and knee levers on those with no problem. The one I have now has a double raise and double lower changer with three pedals and three knee levers. When I tighten the hex on the side it starts pulling the open tuning sharp and does not reach the pedal down tuning. In other words when I tune the Bs open and push pedal A for C# the open tuning winds up at C before I ever get to C#. This makes me think everything is to tight. It is this way with all pedals.I am trying not to put a name to the face so I am trying to keep this question Generic. I'm ready to give up. This guitar is driving me crazy.
Can anyone tell me how to adjust it as there is no manual?

[This message was edited by Howard Macey on 24 April 2004 at 02:35 PM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 2:14 pm    

Well, without knowing much to make an informed comment, I will simply give you a generic comment.

"It appears you do not have enough travel on your pedals and knee levers."

As to how to cure it, that depends on which specific make and model you have.

carl
Johnny Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 2:23 pm    

Howard, Check your e-mail.
Howard Macey

Lander, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 3:10 pm    

Thanks Carl- It looks like the pedal stops are just above the floor.( Carpet) Is that the way you would make that adjustment?

[This message was edited by Howard Macey on 24 April 2004 at 04:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by Howard Macey on 26 April 2004 at 09:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by Howard Macey on 26 April 2004 at 09:51 PM.]

Blake Matthies

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 5:47 pm    

Howard, I saw your post and I know your guitar, I watched it being built and I personally played it the day before it shipped, and it played great! I'd give the builder a call, he's a great guy and I'm more than sure that he'll respond in his usual positive manner and resolve your issue.

Blake
Howard Macey

Lander, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 6:39 pm    

I owe everyone on this forum and especially to the CREATOR/BUILDER of the guitar under discussion an apolology.

I didn't mean to insinuate the problem was the guitar itself. Being new to the steel guitar, it was my lack of knowledge concerning the technology of how to adjust it to my liking.
I have a number of issues going on at this time and became frustrated at not being able to get it back to what I would call a playable condition.

My reference to other manufacturer's instruments was in no way meant to downgrade the excellent quality of this guitar. I personally think it is the best of its class. It was done simply out of frustration at myself for my limited capabilities. If possible I would like to end this thread.

Again, I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE EVERYONE!!

Howard Macey
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 6:43 pm    

The first thing to do is back off all the tuning nuts enough that the pulls don't affect the strings at all. Now your open strings will be way out of tune, so tune them. Now tune one pedal or knee lever at a time by slowly turning in the tuning nuts, checking both the open and pulled pitches as you go.

It sounds like this is a relatively new guitar, so few if any of the stops should need adjusting, unless you have drastically changed the string gauges.
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2004 4:09 am    

Make sure your spring(s) are tight enough. If they aren't tight enough, it will not tune.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2004 5:30 am    

Try putting that particular pulls rod farther out on the bellcrank.

That will give more travel.

If still not good, then the stop for the bellcrank or shaft turn distance must be turned back a bit, to alow further travel.
Then shorten the pedal rod length a touch.
This should help.

I had the same problem with lowering my high G# to G. Unfortunatly on the Sho-Bud it couldn't be done enough to work. But this isn't likely to be an issue for you.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 25 April 2004 at 06:31 AM.]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2004 8:04 am    

hey,at least we don`t know who the manufacturer is,so no harm done,I`m sure you`ll get to know your new guitar and figure out all the little tricks.I don`t know of ANY pro pedal steel guitars today that would not be good.They are all different but they are also all high tech products.
DB
Howard Macey

Lander, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2004 8:17 am    

Apparently everyone in the USA knew who the manufacturer was. So much for being generic,my mistake. I have though, received a lot of great information from the folks on the forum.
thanks
HM
John Lazarus

Tucson, AZ.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2004 7:05 am    

Blake, Did you finally get your Desert Rose?
I've never heard from you!
John
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2004 8:17 am    

Headlines:

PEDAL STEEL GUITAR DRIVES MAN CRAZY...

news at 11:00 (10:00 Central)
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2004 1:25 pm    

Howard, I fear that by now you have turned every screw and nut on that instrument of which I don't even know what brand or model it is.
I would suggest that before you continue to try to fix it all over you visit this page: www.steelguitarinfo.com built by the nice people at Carter Steel Guitars. It will help you understand the basic mechanics of most any PSG so that you will eventually be able locate the real problem better.

Hope this is of help... J-D.
Howard Macey

Lander, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2004 8:31 pm    

Hey JD- No I didn't turn every screw but that was because I didn't notice all of Them. I'm afraid I had to send it back to the builder, who being the patient person he is has agreed to get me headed down the right road once again. I did visit the web site you mentioned and downloaded some good information.
HM

[This message was edited by Howard Macey on 26 April 2004 at 09:34 PM.]