| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Â»Â»Â» SWSGA Show Photos! «««
Guy Beaver

Peoria, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2015 11:58 pm    

Photos from the Phoenix show are now available via the SWSGA web site: http://www.swsteelguitar.com/2015Show/

What a fantastic show! It just keeps getting bigger and better every year. As usual, we had gorgeous weather, incredible talent, great camaraderie and top-of-the-line production quality.

The Cajun Connection brought the house down again this year. Also, Johnny Farina (Santo & Johnny, “Sleep Walk”) was a new treat this year and the crowd was on its feet. So many commented on what a great showman he is. We sincerely hope Johnny will make our show a regular stop in the future.

Thanks to the SWSGA board of directors for making another fantastic show possible. Thanks also to John Hensch and Telonics for the amazing video and sound production. Thanks to all the selfless volunteers who handle the multitude of logistics in making this show work. And let’s not forget the awesome talent – without you we wouldn’t have a show. Thanks everyone!

On a personal note, I must also thank my friend and mentor, Bill Tauson (the other guy with the big camera lenses out there). You have taught me much and contributed so many great photos of the talent at our show. You rock!

I’ll see some of you at the Phoenix Spring Jam in mid-February. Otherwise, see you at next year’s show!

Guy

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 1:36 am    

Guy, great photos as usual, thanks so much for posting.

Anyone know what brand of steel Tommy Dodd was playing? Looks keyless, too, that boy is getting wacky!! Smile
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 5:48 am    

Hi John;
Tommy told me he was playing his keyless Carter guitar because it was the lightest guitar he owns
so it was the easiest to fly with.
He also had it in a 3 lb Bentley fiber case which was very nice.
I was asking Tommy about this is how I know.

Very nice pictures there Guy!
Thanks ... Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Rick Ulrich

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 7:34 am    

Thank you, Guy and Bill Tauson, you guys worked tirelessly. You were all over the place, all the time. My hat is off to the both of you.
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 8:43 am    

I'll second what Rick said. It seemed like both Bill and Guy were constantly on their feet, always looking for that perfect shot. And what perfect shots they captured! And it was awesome how hard you worked to get photos to seminar presenters and other folks so fast. You guys are an inspiration.
Dennis Beaver

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 12:40 pm    

Thanks so very much, my son, (And, you too Bill Tauson!) for your professionalism, dedication, and the endless hours expended in the attempt to capture that “perfect shot”. And, you did it! My hats off to you both!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 5:13 pm    

Tommy looks happy. Very Happy

He should be, he totally wore it out, as usual. Love that man and his playing. Exclamation

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 5:49 pm     Nice Photos!

Those are excellent photos... obviously not made with a cell phone! Smile

Very interesting shots!
Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 5:59 pm     Photos

Once again a great job Guy. Thanks

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 7:57 pm    

Herb

Your arrangements were some of the best. Your copious amounts of C6th floored me.....very nice!

This was one of the most enjoyable shows to attend.

JD Mannes was in perfect form, too. The Man has talent!

You guys rocked the house!

Cool

Peoria, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 9:08 pm    

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone. It's always good for the heart to hear that a man's work, especially what he is passionate about, brings some measure of joy to others. But, I don't need to tell musicians that.

That said, I have some addenda. I was pulled from my post and missed getting a shot of Doug Childress during his set. Luckily, Stu Shulman got a shot and I have included it on the site (thanks Stu!). Also, in sorting through hundreds of photos, I failed to include a shot of Mark Giles behind his steel. This has also been rectified.

My sincere apologies to these fine gentlemen and artists. Here are the links to jump to those photos:

Doug: http://www.swsteelguitar.com/2015Show/20150116_130000_s.html

Mark: http://www.swsteelguitar.com/2015Show/20150115_143600_g.html

On a final note, I would like to thank my father, Denny Beaver, for providing another photo where Bill and I were not able to be present. It was posted in the original mix, so I won't post a link.

Bill and I are so glad that folks like our photos. We are both infected with the shutterbug disease, so we are not happy if we are not clicking away some shots on the camera. Our intention is to create photos that prove that this is one of the best steel shows in the country and draw people in. But you can't hear Doug Jernigan's incredible polished sound, David Wright's smooth swagger or the Cajun Connection's infectious 2/4 squeezebox-infused sound in a photograph. If you haven't been here for the show, you are truly missing some fantastic stuff!

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 9:28 am    

Thanks Guy for the wonderful photos. I enjoyed playing on the show and working the stage monitor mixing for the players. Thanks to my friend John Hench who is such a joy to work with. This was a fantastic show and one every steel guitar player and fan should put on their bucket list. The weather in Phoenix this time of year is incredible, the migration of people to this area in the winter, makes it the ideal location and setting for a successful event. Come see the show next year and you will not be disappointed!!!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 10:04 am    

Let me echo everything my pal Doug just said!

The photos show it all. There were only two types of faces seen at the show... either in deep concentration while playing, or simply indelibly smiling in the enjoyment of everything happening around you.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill D. Terry

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 4:36 pm    

Guy, you and Bill Tauson did a fantastic job as usual. I know that you 2 spend a tremendous amount of time, and have much invested in your equipment as well. This show is blessed with 2 excellent photographers! Next year's show can't get here fast enough.

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 7:32 am     I agree

I keep a file of players photos from shows and they seem to just keep be getting better and better.

Love all three of you guys photos - other shows just do not have that kind of photos.

Thanks and I agree with Bill - pooped after that great show every year but I heal - getting ready for Dallas now.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 2:33 pm    

I like what Herb said. There's the deep concentration and then the total bliss.
Thanks to Billy, Doug, Denny, Joe, Mel and the rest of the crew for a wonderful weekend.
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2015 9:31 pm    

Thank you so much for the wonderful photos! They are excellent. Kacey and I both will use them and tell everyone how great everyone is at the Phoenix Steel Show. It is a fantastic weekend of Steel Guitar, and we appreciate being a part of it from year to year. See y'all down the road.
Larry & Kacey Toliver