| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MSA before and after pics
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 3:03 pm    

Got some odd vibes on my post about getting BADLY ripped off by a fellow forumite.. Perhaps alluding to the possibility I might be a whining over reacting type.. fair enough.. You guys be the judge.. it IS 100% my own fault by being a trusting soul.. i have always taken a persons word in good faith, and throughout life I have paid the consequences.. Never learned from past mistakes sad to say..
Here are the 4 pics I have of my ""new"" MSA..
2 were taken by our forum friend that was the previous owner, and 2 were taken by me when I got it.. Guess which are which.. In case no one was following the other thread, I swapped a mint condition Carter S10 for this MSA .... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 3:48 pm    

Night and day.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 3:58 pm    

Day and night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 4:05 pm    

It suggests that due diligence by the buyer isn't the only diligence required.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 4:22 pm    

DAMN!!!
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 4:50 pm    

Who did the work. Smile

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 5:30 pm    

Ouch! Bob, that's gotta hurt. I suppose some bar dings are "normal" especially for any war-horse that's been gigged, but those deep scuffs make me cringe. I hope it plays/sounds good. Maybe it is worth the cost of refinishing, but IIRC... you were NOT looking for a "project."
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 5:36 pm    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Ouch! Bob, that's gotta hurt. I suppose some bar dings are "normal" especially for any war-horse that's been gigged, but those deep scuffs make me cringe. I hope it plays/sounds good. Maybe it is worth the cost of refinishing, but IIRC... you were NOT looking for a "project."

No I was looking for a clean good shape wood neck guitar worth close to what my VERY nice carter was worth.. bob

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:17 pm     Deal

To be candid, this kind of thing bothers me. Sorry about the deal. I sent you a pm.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:43 pm    

i have to say i'd pretty much expect that kind of finish on an old wood guitar that's been played a lot. so it doesn't surprise me. the rest of the guitar looks nice. i think you may be somewhat overreacting, since i'm sure you're representing the worst part. the way you've been going on about it i expected even worse.i'm sure you expected better, though. i don't know exactly how the other guy represented it to you.
luckily for you, everyone else seems to be on your side. i think everyone should be a little more realistic.

my assessment is the carter may have been worth slightly more than $1500 and this may be worth slightly less than $1500.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:54 pm    

Those first two photo's of the front of the guitar are his,I presume. Looks like he never showed you pictures of the back of the guitar. Other than the back it doesn't look bad. Bob, you always said the wood body MSA's sounded the best. Tenn. Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 14 Jan 2015 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:58 pm    

one more thing. i know you're unhappy ,bob. i sympathize with you for that, but my old sho-bud professional was that bad, and the wood emmons i play alot now is worse....but i love it. sounds great and has soul.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 7:08 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
i have to say i'd pretty much expect that kind of finish on an old wood guitar that's been played a lot. so it doesn't surprise me. the rest of the guitar looks nice. i think you may be somewhat overreacting, since i'm sure you're representing the worst part. the way you've been going on about it i expected even worse.i'm sure you expected better, though. i don't know exactly how the other guy represented it to you.
luckily for you, everyone else seems to be on your side. i think everyone should be a little more realistic.

my assessment is the carter may have been worth slightly more than $1500 and this may be worth slightly less than $1500.

A dead mint, almost unplayed carter with FIVE and FIVE, is worth $1500, and a battered MSA is worth just a bit less.. Sorry Chris, but you need to rethink that a bit... There is a reason most of the other guys on the forum are "on my side".. they have somewhat more common sense than you seem to have..

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 7:28 pm    

Chris I've got to go with bob on this one. If I'd
looked at that guitar in person I'd offered about a grand or $1100.00. The guy needs to bone up some cash or trade Bobs guitar back.IMHO. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 7:31 pm    

i have alot of common sense, but i know how you feel. actually the carter should be worth way more and you probably shouldn't have made the trade. the facts are that carters 'and' msa's both sell for less than they're really worth.

i think it would be nice for the invisible man to undo the trade or kick back some bucks.
where is he? who is he?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 8:45 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
i have alot of common sense, but i know how you feel. actually the carter should be worth way more and you probably shouldn't have made the trade. the facts are that carters 'and' msa's both sell for less than they're really worth.

i think it would be nice for the invisible man to undo the trade or kick back some bucks.
where is he? who is he?

I should not have made the trade, thats obvious.. However i have a major flaw in my personality.. I trust people, take them at their word, and always think they are just trying to be fair , same as me,.. just am equitable deal is all. Thats all I wanted.

I am usually disappointed, and at 60 still haven't learned my lesson.
I have been disappointed too many times right on these pages when purchasing expensive items.

I thought better of this knowledgable, sharing, caring membership..

In any case, the mans name is Gary McQuaig, and he is a member here, but doesn't post much...
I spoke with him on the phone, and he seemed very genuine, and seemed a nice southern gentleman..
Now I only think of him as a lowlife snake.. bob

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 12:03 am    

My heart goes out to you...

600 bucks is nothing compared to the price of disillusionment. One takes from the bank...the other takes from the spirit.

Theres two ways good people go when theyve been taught their lessons.. Anger can push them to perpetuate this system of abuse...or it can motivate them to discover the values they are deeply passionate about in the people and community in their lives. The people with the right stuff will be dearer to you.

Whatever lesson you were taught should be traded straight across for a lesson in compassion and understanding.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 1:51 am     Msa

Older lacquer bodies usually have some things that can use a little TLC. Nothing unusual here. Two or three coats of matching paint(for wood) followed by 3 or 4 lacquer coats of lacquer should make a big difference. I'd polish the aluminum and remove the changer and undercarriage and clean it all before reassembling. A few coats of lacquer underneath would look good also. This little S-10 can easily be turned into a different guitar. Good luck.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 3:52 am    

Billy, while what you say is true, it's NOT a fair trade for a dead mint loaded Carter. Carter is usually a bit more valuable than an MSA, and there's two pedals and a knee short, AND a couple hundred bucks in finish work.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 4:27 am     Psg

Correct.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 8:52 am    

In my mind, the seller IMPLIED that the guitar was in great condition by only showing the unblemished front view. That seems "dodgy" at best. On the other hand, Bob should have asked for more pix before committing to the trade. In the end, I think Bob got the short end of the stick on that transaction.

Fortunately, it sounds like he will (w/sweat equity and kindness) wind up with the guitar he wanted.

I'm curious how David will refinish the necks...............Isn't that fingerboard silkscreened onto the wood?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 9:14 am    

They are, Tony. I like the gold leaf frets applied to my Sho-Bud.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 9:19 am    

Hi Bob,
Sorry for your trade problem.
If I were in your shoes, I would drive down to the guys house and get my Steel back.
Google Maps shows a 13hour 43min trip from Candor NY to Atlanta GA.

You mentioned in the other post that the MSA decal on the pedal bar was ruined, although it looks fine in his pics. Can you post a pic?
You mentioned a pedal was held in by glue, fwiw in a this pic from 1978 it looks like there were only 3 pedals.

Bob, No offence Man but why didn't you negotiate an approval period?

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 9:55 am    

Blackshear is in southeast Georgia, at least another 225 miles from Atlanta, Way to far to travel from Candor,New York on a possible wild goose chase.
Just keep bugging him with emails Bob. That's about all you can do I guess. T.L.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 3:01 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
Hi Bob,
Sorry for your trade problem.
If I were in your shoes, I would drive down to the guys house and get my Steel back.
Google Maps shows a 13hour 43min trip from Candor NY to Atlanta GA.

You mentioned in the other post that the MSA decal on the pedal bar was ruined, although it looks fine in his pics. Can you post a pic?
You mentioned a pedal was held in by glue, fwiw in a this pic from 1978 it looks like there were only 3 pedals.

Bob, No offence Man but why didn't you negotiate an approval period?

[img]http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix0903

/2629_Steel_guitar_1978_1.jpg[/img]

He ran a buffer over the aluminum and wiped out the decal, probably after those pictures were take.. This guitar belonged to ken Fox at one time, and they might be old pictures not sure...
The pivot shaft for the pedals on MSA are secured with an allen screw under the male quick connect stud on the pedal.. Someone glued it in instead.. No big deal, it won't go anywhere, but its NOT what i traded my Carter for... Pedal 4 was added at some point.. The vertical knee was a home made abortion.. what a mess.. I just took it off..
None of these things were mentioned.. I was led to believe the guitar was in good condition with some bar dings.. Its got some bar dings alright.. My trade partner is a liar and a swindler, period.. He won't answer any of my emails, and there is a reason for that...

I am just a gullible person that trusts far too easily... My purchases on the SG forum have been mixed.. A couple of very good ones, but the vast majority have ranged from bad to horrible.. this was horrible... I probably lost $700 with this deal... bob