| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Worn Push pull finger issue - string groove buzzing!
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 5:41 pm    

Hi folks,

I have just changed the strings on my Push pull Emmons, and noticed the number 10 B string was causing a buzzing sound when picked, which was new to me.

Upon closer inspection, after some searching for the cause, I found that the problem stems from a small groove which, over time has been worn into the finger on the changer. It is not overly deep, but enough for the string to settle into and cause it to buzz. Why I never noticed the "buzz" before is puzzling to me, as it has only just become apparent.

For now, I have positioned the string away from the worn area, and buzzing is gone, and I guess I could leave it that way, just makes string 9 and 10 a little closer, but doesn't affect my playing so far...

I was wondering what the best way to smooth out the groove was, before I did anything. I just wanted to find out the best solution.

Many thanks for any and all help with this.

Kind Regards

Marcus

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 6:15 pm    

Hmmm... there's two ways to solve this problem: the "correct" way, and the practical way we always used to do it.

The "correct" way is to replace the changer finger with a new or newer one. But this involves dis-assembly of the changer, which is not for the inexperienced amongst us. Wink

So the practical way is to find a very... VERY... fine grade of sandpaper and gently and evenly try to reduce the depth of the groove without radically altering the radius of the finger. Use a minute amount of fine oil as a lubricant and keep testing the area with the string to see if the buzz is reduced.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 8:45 pm     Thank you

Thanks Herb,

I will give the sanding method a go, as unfortunately I don't have the experience needed for me to undertake the correct way. I do appreciate your help with the advice!

All the best regards

Marcus

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 9:57 pm    

When using sandpaper- use 400 grit and fold to a width just slightly wider than the finger, pack the surrounding area w wet cotton to absorb the aluminum dust, and carefully lap the offending finger as if you were a shoe shine guy- maintaining the radius until you can no longer see the groove. Then, when done, apply the light oil and re-string it.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 10:55 pm     Thanks

Thanks Jim, I truly appreciate that further information. It is a great help to learn of this technique.

Kind Regards

Marcus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 9:14 am    

For this type of application, I prefer emory cloth.
It can be obtained from many sources in a narrow roll.
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 10:24 am    

Well another cause for string rattle, especially on the lower strings is a vibrating roller at the nut. A slight amount of light weight oil on either side of the roller will stop a buzz many times. Before you start working on the changer finger try that solution. I think you will find a slight groove on the changer fingers of most older guitars. The advice on how to deal with it is great from Herb and Jim. Just my 2cents and it may not be worth that much.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 2:59 pm     Thank you guys

Thank you Erv and George.

I do appreciate all of the help, each one of your tips are very thoughtful, and most useful to me. Thank you! I will certainly check the roller at the nut end as you mentioned as well. Smile

All the best

Marcus

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 5:38 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
When using sandpaper- use 400 grit and fold to a width just slightly wider than the finger, pack the surrounding area w wet cotton to absorb the aluminum dust, and carefully lap the offending finger as if you were a shoe shine guy- maintaining the radius until you can no longer see the groove. Then, when done, apply the light oil and re-string it.

Exactly! That maintains the normal radius of the changer finger. I like to finish off sanding w/ crocus cloth as Jim described and then lightly hand buff.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 9:39 pm     Thank you!

Thanks Tony for your help, I am grateful to all who have helped me with this advice.

My problem has now been resolved thanks to all of you folks. I have used a narrow piece of very fine emory paper and very carefully lapped the area as suggested until the groove was gone, there is still a light grey spot in the area but feels very smooth to the touch now. I then buffed lightly with a cloth, and applied the light oil. While I was at it, I also applied a small drop of the light oil to the roller at the nut end where it now moves more smoothly. I then restrung it.

It now has no buzz, and I am very pleased, thank you to one and all! Smile Smile

Kind regards

Marcus