| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Wayne Tyler
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 7:58 am    

It is with a very heavy heart and sadness that I pass this sad news along to the PSG community.

For those of us who knew Wayne, there was not a finer man or a better pal who always had a new steel to let you try out, and who passed along his steel knowledge to anyone who asked.

A player since the 50's, he had a long musical career playing pedal steel for many stars that came through this area.

Burdened lately with a lot of health issues that appear, couldn't be identified easily, Wayne passed peacefully early this morning surrounded by his immediate family.

I spoke to Wayne last Wednesday evening, he was feeling better, mentioned that his son had set up his steel in the back room and he was enjoying playing and learning again.

I'm definitely going to miss spending time with my friend and offer my condolences to his family.
Dave Cochran

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2014 9:02 am     Wayne Tyler

Just now heard about wayne. He taught me in the late 60's, and we became great friends. Found me a great Emmons as well. I traveled to many a gig with him when he was with Darlene Davis, and they played the Black Horse in Jersey. Met George Sell, Bobbe, jimmy Day, and Willie while with him when they all came to the area.
Wayne my friend, keep playing them sweetly for the big band leader in the sky. We may meet again, but not too soon I hope
Dave Cochran
Montgomery, TX.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:02 am    

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Wayne was a nice guy, and he was one of the mid-Atlantic steelers whom I ran into a few times at Sunset Park back in the '60s and '70s. As I recall, he had a green Fender 1000 back when he started.