| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Amp position/amp stand
Mel Mandville

Bellevue, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 7:55 am    

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this. I played bass and guitar for a lot of years and I would usually be a ways
from my amp. Now playing steel sitting down I find I need my amp close enough to access the controls . Also last night I put a brick under the front to tip it back a little bit seemed to help my intonation. So I'm thinking of getting a stand. I play in a country rock outfit. So I'm learning to play it loud and proud for sure and I'm miked.
I've got a Nash 1000. I fiqure tipping the amp back I can turn down and actually hear myself better. Maybe this is kind of a dumb question, but I haven't been gigging for that long with the steel and I'm still tweeking my stage set up.
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 8:42 am    

I like my amp to be at the same level as I am sitting, so I simply place it on a chair or a flight case if there happens to be one around. In that way I can hear myself alright and have good access to the controls. Tilting (my Fender amp has tilt-back legs) would also help to some degree, as far as hearing is concerned, but I have the habit of placing various accessories on top of the amp so I want it to be horizontal.

Regards, Joe H.
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 8:54 am    

Being totaly deaf in my right ear,i use a rack and two speaker cabinet set up,with one speaker about 4 feet behind me to the left a little,the other speaker is in front of me and my steel about 4 feet, both on stands and my rack by my left hand.Strang i guess but it works for me.

Fred Justice
Events Dir.
SWSGA

[This message was edited by Fred Justice on 21 March 2004 at 08:57 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 9:25 am    

A brick is cheaper than a stand.
A small hunk of 2by4 (reffered to as an "audio log") is not only in the same price range as a brick but is lighter.

Bob
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 9:35 am    

I have a stand that a friend made out of PVC pipe. I can put my amp on it and tilt it back or keep it level. If you like to hear yourself this is a great stand. I think it has about 10-15 dollars worth of material and if you are mechanically inclined it wouldn't be any trouble to build. Our keyboard looked at mine and made him one for his amp. I know they say it is best to have your amp on a stand or chair but that puts it level with my ears and I don't want to hear the bad stuff I play so I dont use the stand any more. I keep it on the floor and within reach so I can twist a knob if I need to. When I first used the stand or chair it was a totally different sound and I never could get the sound I was looking for. So back to the old way. Just thought I would pass along the info about the PVC stand.
Gere
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 11:08 am    

I find that setting the amps on the floor pointed flat and out of the ear plane does a couple things: One is that it saves my hearing, and Two that it allows for the proper amount of highs to get off the bandstand. You'll always hear a sharper "tinnier" sound with it/them pointed at your head, besides getting blasted.

Plenty of "Top Shelf" guys point them directly at their heads, or even pointing away from the "crowd" and put the Onus on the Soundman.

I can't seem to do that.

In a place where there is no PA plug in, and you have to get out, pointing it darn near up at the ceiling and cranking it way up will get you PA type coverage. Again, away from your ears to save them.

Ash trays work good for tilting. I prefer Mel-Mac.

EJL
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 11:43 am    

You can buy Fender tilt-back legs for around $35 and put them on just about any amp.I have them on my Session 400 and there's no brick,log or stand to carry around. For my 3 nighter sitdown gig at Viva Cantina tho,I do use a little stand that brings my Nash 400 up about 8" and puts about a 5 degree tilt on it.A chair is too high for me - on gigs where I'm not miked,it makes me play too quiet to be heard - or so others have told me.Maybe that's a good thing..... -MJ-
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 12:51 pm    

Milk crates (legally obtained of course -lol) also work well for a medium height stand, and can stow pedals, cords, etc also.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 1:05 pm    

Love those Fender tilt legs, especially if that is the only positioning choice you have.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 3:21 pm    

Gere,
Could you post a pic or dimentions of that pvc stand,or email me .....ugltrk@att.net.

What does your amp weigh?

------------------
Bill Ford
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 4:25 pm    

Moved to 'Electronics' section.