| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Steelers of Hawaii Calls on the Web
Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 6:33 am    

I recently posted here about the volumes of rare steel guitar recordings I have been posting to my audio blog, Ho`olohe Hou. Some of these are one-of-a-kind or never commercially released recordings which just happen to feature Hawai`i's legendary steel guitarists. I was surprised that the post garnered no responses here and no new readers/listeners from among the members of this forum. But this may have been because I posted it to the Steel on the Web category.

So I am going to violate protocol since this post also likely belongs under Steel on the Web since I would hate for you to miss out on hearing these amazing recordings by some of the legends that are most talked about on this forum. For the last two weeks I have been celebrating the birthday of Webley Edwards, host and creator of the Hawaii Calls radio and TV franchise. I have pulled out some of the rarest of the rare of recordings from the show's heydey - the 1950s and 60s - which have featured David Keli`i, Jules Ah See, and Barney Isaacs in performances that have likely not been heard since their original broadcast over 50 years ago. The work by David Keli`i is the most rare since the radio show in that era went out by shortwave to affiliates who transcribed them to shellac discs which were immediately broken and thrown away after the broadcast (because Hawaii Calls ran a new program every week - never a rerun). So there are few copies of these broadcasts in existence.

So I will try again to entice you this site which is receiving an average of 5,000 reads/listens a month but none from the members of this forum.

Simply visit www.hoolohehou.org or like the Ho`olohe Hou community on Facebook to receive a notification of each new entry on the blog.

In case you need a sample, perhaps this clip of Jules Ah See jazzing around on "Red Sails In The Sunset" will suffice. If not, try this clip of Barney Isaacs which offers up verifiable proof that he once played a pedal steel.

If you visit, I hope you enjoy. Malama pono to my fellow steelers,

Bill Wynne
Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 10:11 am    

Great site, Bill!
Sorry I missed this the 1st time

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 10:31 pm    

Bill,
I am sorry that I missed your first posting. I have been overly involved in a major move which has been time consuming.

Mahalo for not giving up and giving it another go.
There are many others out there that will love Ho`olohe Hou. Give it time.

As I write this I am listening to the golden voice of Haunani with Hawaii Calls in total enjoyment.

Thank you for your efforts to perpetuate Hawaiian Music and Hawaiian Steel Guitar.

Last edited by Don Kona Woods on 25 Nov 2014 1:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 11:07 pm    

I actually discovered your blog on the Taro Patch site. I bookmarked it, but admittedly hadn't given it its due because I got distracted and sidetracked by other things, so thanks for the reminder. I've been enjoying several of the podcasts and blog entries and am beyond impressed. The amount of quality content is truly amazing. It's so well researched and written--an obvious labor of love. I'm looking forward to working my way through the archives while I keep up with your new entries. THANK YOU for being so generous with your collection, knowledge and time . It's very time consuming.
Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 8:33 am    

I don't know what a blog is,but this is a good one!

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 11:16 am    

Thanx for not giving up, Bill, great to see this happening again.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 11:26 am    

Thank you, Bill!

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 8:22 pm    

Bill,I can't begin to thank you enough for re-posting this in SWOP,otherwise I probably wouldn't have found your marvelous Blog.I just spent over an hour listening to some of the best Hawaiian Music in existence! And I've barely scratched the surface.
I've been wanting to find vintage music and video ever since I got my first computer back in '97 (I'm a late bloomer!) I used to think I moved to Hawaii for the Surf,but I'm realizing more and more that I went for the Music! Mahalo Nui Loa

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2014 7:09 pm    

Thanks Bill, I love your site and the history presented as well.
I'm a Big Fan of Webley Edwards and Hawaii Calls with David Keli`i, Jules Ah See and Barney Isaacs-all associated with Edwards and Hawaii Calls.
I have all the Capital lps, tons of photo snapshots and a few radio scrips of the show, but your site and the info tops everything. I'll be learning alot about one of my two favorite radio shows, Hawaii Calls. Other one of course is the Grand Ole Opry.
Thanks for the research!