| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good 6 string pup
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 8:12 pm    

Can any one tell me what a good 6 string pup would be that might come close to sounding like an George L E66 or a BL705? I need an E13 neck for a few tunes and I have an old Smeck/Harmony lap that has a Seymour Duncan Humbucker in it, which is great for rock, but I want a good, clean steel sound. I have an 8 string with an E66 and an MCI with a 705 and I love the sound of both, so I'm looking for something in a 6 string that would do the trick. Any ideas?
Don McGregor

Memphis, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 5:41 am    

If you can fit it in, I would use an E66. It is a double blade style pickup, and doesn't care how many or few strings you put across it.
I am wanting to try some of the Lollar pickups, but so far I have been very happy with Jerry Wallace Truetone single coils (very quiet for a single coil) and all of the George L pickups I have tried.
Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 6:42 am    

If space is limited, you might want to check out this Bill Lawrence pickup, the L-45S. I've put a few in some 6-string lap steels and they sound good. Last I heard, these were being made by Lace, not sure who makes them now. Took 3 to 4 weeks to get them.
http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 9:40 am    

I replaced the strat type pickup on my Rondo lap steel with a double blade humbucker direct replacement pickup, (mainly to help correct with bad string alignment on the original one and cut down on hum), and have been pretty happy with it. It's just a no name import from Ebay too...I'm sure a better quality one would sound even better.

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 4:41 pm    

Don McGregor wrote:
If you can fit it in, I would use an E66. It is a double blade style pickup, and doesn't care how many or few strings you put across it.
I am wanting to try some of the Lollar pickups, but so far I have been very happy with Jerry Wallace Truetone single coils (very quiet for a single coil) and all of the George L pickups I have tried.

That's what I was wondering. I wasn't sure if they were a blade style or not. I love the one on my Remington, but Herb keeps them further away from the bridge than norm, which I think contributes to the great tone. But I had them on a GFI where they were closer, and although brighter, they sounded great. I think that's what I'll get. Thanks.