| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro value
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2001 1:33 pm    

I have an opportunity to make an offer on a near-mint 60DS (OMI)Dobro circa 1990, serial V1 115 90D. A friend of acquired it as left over stock from his music store that went out of business in 1990. It sounds fine for your basic laminated OMI Dobro.

What would be a fair offer??

Also, I'd be interested in opinions on whether it would be worth putting a Quarterman cone in this baby.

Thanks,

Bob
Scott Camara

Connecticut
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2001 2:34 pm    

Hello,

In my opinion a quarterman cone will help any resonator guitar sound better. I'm not 100% sure, but I think these are going for around $750 to $1000 dollars these days. I guess it depends on the condition.
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2001 3:59 pm    

I'm not an expert, but for what it's worth, I tend to agree with Scott -- $750 to $1,000 would be a good starting point. I guess it would depend on several things. One consideration is whether it's a solid peghead or slotted peghead. I might be wrong, but I think the solid pegheads are generally more desirable. Also, the type of wood and finish are factors as well. The new Gibson Dobro 60D's have some pretty decent-looking maple veneer on the top which looks pretty nice with their dark sunburst finish. The old pre-Gibson Dobros from that era (1990) sometimes looked kind of . . . well, cheap because the wood wasn't all that exceptional-looking and some of the finish schemes were sort of weird.

Anyway, you can buy a brand new Gibson 60D for about $1200 if you shop around, so maybe that will give you a good reference point at least. I would tend to think a quarterman cone would be well worth the $50 or so -- especially in something that's more than 10 years old, assuming the cone hasn't already been replaced.

By the way, Scott, do you know Stacy Phillips? I understand that he lives up in Connecticut some place. He does a lot of playing around that area as well.
Scott Camara

Connecticut
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2001 4:03 am    

Yes, I've met Stacy a few times. He lives in New Haven, which is a few towns from Bridgeport. We actually play many of the same clubs. He is actually playing fiddle in a country swing band called the Honeydews...awesome band.
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2001 5:35 am    

Thanks guys. This is definitely a pre-Gibson Dobro and looks a bit "cheap." But it sounds okay--not great, but okay. It has a slotted headstock.

As far as I know, this is a new guitar that was never sold. It's been in storage for 10 years.