| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 68 custom deluxe reverb, Reissue
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 11:29 am    

Howdy Friends, Has anybody bought or played the new
Fender reissue 68 custom deluxe reverb amp. Normally sold for a grand. With musicians friend 15% discount it would be $850.00 plus $50.00 dollars worth of junk from Fender. 5 star rating. Let me know If anyone has had any experience with this amp. Oh yeah celestion G12v-70 speaker. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I do like those separate channels. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 27 Nov 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 3:23 pm    

If I were going to buy a new Fender amp, it would either be one of the Eric Clapton models, or one of the new 68 Custom models (either the DR or the PR). I've not played the Princeton, but I have played the Deluxe a few times. It's got a really good sound, the Bassman side has a nice early breakup point, and the Deluxe side sounds like you'd expect, a Deluxe. They beat the pants off of the DRRIs that Fender is putting out right now. I'm not sure how much headroom it has for PSG. They do make a Twin version as well, if you need the extra headroom.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 4:58 pm    

The Fender 68 series also includes a Vibrolux. With 2 6L6s it should have a bit more headroom than a Deluxe.
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 7:10 pm    

I have the '65 head version (sorry, not the '6Cool, and love it, but like was mentioned - not enough clean headroom for a lot of live gigs. Love it in the studio, and if you are miked and know the live situation, it would be great there too. Nice to only have two tone controls! (never thought I would say that)

In fact, I'm torn between taking this, or a twin to an un-miked gig coming up.

Good luck,

David Spires

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 7:45 pm    

I have a few amps, including a Fender 65 (blackface) twin reverb reissue and a 65 (also blackface) deluxe reverb reissue. I played for a while through the twin until circumstances suggest I loan the twin to my band's guitar player (i.e. his amp blew up).

Aside from my then inventory of amps (including Walker Stereo Steel rig, a ubiquitous N112, an N1000, a Steel King, and other stuff), I went back to tubes. After doing a studio session with a 68 reissue, I bought a new 65 reissue.

You can't, in my opinion, go wrong with either selection. Absolutely nothing beats the tone of a Fender tube amp.

Emmons Resound 65 (any minute now...), 2017 Mullen G2, 2010 Emmons Le Grande II, 2003 Emmons Le Grande III, Emmons PP x 2, Telonics VP, Milkman 85W Pedal Steel Amp, Milkman Mini-40
Bruce Repka

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 8:42 pm    

So how does the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb work with steel?
I really need a dual-purpose amp (lightweight) that works for Steel & Tele.
Gotta have that Fender sound for Tele - Nashville 112 just doesn't work for it.
Michael Sparks

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 7:21 am    

Bruce,

The Deluxe works and sounds great if you don't need a lot of stage volume; great for studio work. I go back and forth between using it and the Twin.

Emmons Resound 65 (any minute now...), 2017 Mullen G2, 2010 Emmons Le Grande II, 2003 Emmons Le Grande III, Emmons PP x 2, Telonics VP, Milkman 85W Pedal Steel Amp, Milkman Mini-40
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 10:44 am    

I got one recently in a trade deal. It's a nice practice / backup amp for me. You can get a lot more clean volume with a jbl speaker or something similar. I like the 1st channel a lot for guitar. The 2nd channel is a little noisy on mine but I bet some tube swapping could help with that. I heard that they are assembled in Mexico (hence the lower price than a 65 drri).
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 11:18 am    

this item of fender tube amps for steel has been discussed since the beginning of the steel forum.
what my ears and experience tell me is that no tube amp pushed past the comfortable relaxed area of headroom will not sound like the pretty clean sound i want for steel.
maybe low volume recording...
not practical for playing real gigs.
and i've never had a jbl that didn't develop a slight fuzzy edge to it...they can't take it!

there are a lot of better cheaper lighter options for the working steel player.

edit to add that i was referring to 'D' model jbl's.
i think the 'K' models are tougher.
Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 1:51 pm     68 deluxe reissue

I bought one and play mostly at senior centers, but also at an Eagles club. I play tele and SD-10 GFI so I need to be able to switch from guitar to steel in the middle of a song. This amp has worked out great for me. The drummer uses Roland drums so he can control his volume, and the dancers do not like it very loud. I run the steel in the bassman channel and the tele in the 2nd channel. It has enough headroom for what I'm doing. I tried using a Peavey Nashville 112, but the guitar didn't sound good when the steel did.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 2:31 pm    

I ab'd the amp in question with the 65 reissue and went with the 65, as it had more headroom with stock components. For me the only advantage with the 68 was trem and verb in both channels, which is an easy mod on the 65. In a year of playing a few times weekly with bands of various volumes, I was underpowered only twice -un mic'd with heavy drums. Love it in the studio. I'm not as snobby about my 6 string tone- both the 65 and 68 sounded great.
Bruce Repka

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 9:05 pm    

Thanks for the replies y'all. Just thinking about replacing the Blues Jr. and the Nashville 112 with one dual purpose amp. I just don't see any situations where I'm going to need big, loud, un-miced volume. So, that '68 Deluxe is looking really nice. Hmm....