| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp for Church
Jim Curl

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 8:42 am    

I am looking for input/ opinions, for a amp head only (No speaker cab). My NV 400 is not compatible with the sound system at my church (we run everything through the PA, with no stage speakers), due to the 4 ohms on my NV 400 not matching up the PA. Does anyone have any input on amp heads only? I see Quilter makes a small 200w "Tone block" (and I like the price of roughly $400), and I also see lots of guys like the Walker Stero Steel amp.......................Are there others that would be worth looking at??? Thanks in advance for any input.......

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 11:14 am    

Here's my suggestion.
Use your Nashville, since you're used to it.
Run the line out into the PA.
Get a 1/4" plug without a cable on it and put it into the "power amp input" jack of the Nashville. This will put a null signal into the power amp stage of the amp, so it won't put out anything.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 11:23 am    

Another option is the GK MB200, You can use it without a speaker, sending a line out to the PA. It's also very small and lightweight. And it's not too expensive.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 11:44 am    

You can get a unit like below where you can still hear your amp and send another signal to the PA.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:39 pm    

Erv, will that kill the power amp? He said he's not allowed to make noise on stage.
Jim Curl

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 1:25 pm    

Thanks, but this brings up another question, if I may.......Is the "pre amp out" jack the same as the line out? My NV 400 is quite old (silver coner guards) and I have three jacks on the back of the amp; "Pwr amp in", "Pre amp out" and "Ft Sw" (foot switch I'm guessing). On the front of my amp, I have a "pre EQ patch", with 2 jacks, one out and one in.............And finally, if I could use just my amp on stage (with my cab speaker disconnected) it looks like the power source from the amp to the speaker is a two prong automotive type (for a lack of a better term) plastic locking connection.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 1:32 pm    

There is an out on the unit for the speaker. I guess if you don't want to hear from the speaker, just don't plug the speaker in.
It appears the unit I have pictures has been discontinued by Peavey but I found this one:

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 1:49 pm    

Jim Curl wrote:
Thanks, but this brings up another question, if I may.......Is the "pre amp out" jack the same as the line out? My NV 400 is quite old (silver coner guards) and I have three jacks on the back of the amp; "Pwr amp in", "Pre amp out" and "Ft Sw" (foot switch I'm guessing). On the front of my amp, I have a "pre EQ patch", with 2 jacks, one out and one in.............And finally, if I could use just my amp on stage (with my cab speaker disconnected) it looks like the power source from the amp to the speaker is a two prong automotive type (for a lack of a better term) plastic locking connection.

Pre amp out= line out. It doesn't have a switch on it, so if you don't use it for a loop, but a line out, signal will go both to the line out and the power amp.
Power amp in = it's switched. If a plug goes in there, it disconnects the internal route from pre amp to power amp. Some solid state amps won't mind running without a load, some will hack and cough, and perhaps do costly things to themselves. That's why I recommended leaving the speaker connected, but with a null input to the power amp.
I'm no Jack Stoner, Tim, Brad or Craig Baker. I'm just a truck driver with some thinking (and a year of electronics education thirty years ago), but I'd think twice about running a power amp when it has an input but not a load.
Jim Curl

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 3:09 pm    

Thanks so much for the input Y'all gave..................It is very helpful and I appreciate it!!

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 4:27 pm    

How do you hear your instrument on the platform especially a steel? Bob M
Jim Curl

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 5:43 pm    

Hey Bob, we all use in ear monitors.............Me personal preference would be to mic my amp, but I have to say, the mix that the sound guys get in the sanctuary sounds fantastic.

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 7:05 pm    

Great. I never used good ear monitors. You must have a great sound person. I have to do everything from sound to preaching. Best of luck in what you are trying to do. Bob
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 10:32 am    

Roland Street Cube, using the headphone out for a direct line, sounds great and weighs about 3 pounds.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 11:46 am    

Do you need an amplifier? Ran this straight into my buddy's recording console for a session. Stellar? No, but got the job done. For under $100.00.

My go-to setting is a factory preset called JazzWet. A touch of chorus, delayed reverb, maybe a tiny bit of compression.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-G1U-Guitar-Effects-Interface/dp/B002LYKB7K

Jerry Scoope

Denver,Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 1:10 pm    

Similar to Chris our last show was is a room so small we took in no amps at all Every thing was run thru the board and I just used a Digitech RP155 for amp modeling every one in our group uses in ears also so no speaker no problem Mullen RP-Hilton VP-RP 155-DI box of your choice-Mixer Board Worked great Unless Im playing a rodeo area or large venue I may not take out my Vegas 400 again

www.GospelTrailMinistry.org