| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Player on Choices by Billy Yates with George Jones
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2010 12:59 am    

I've been listening to Billy Yates' recording of Choices featuring George Jones, and the steel playing is gorgeous. Does anybody know who the steel player is on this recording? Very, very tasteful fills and a really moody, long outro. Really beautiful stuff.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but my search didn't reveal anything.

Chris
robert hays

sikeston mo. usa
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 4:32 pm    

I Think Mike Johnson is on most of billy's recordings,mike told me he really enjoys working with billy
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 2:25 am    

Thanks, Robert. It's not a name I'm familiar with. I'll have to find more of his playing.
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 9:44 pm    

I know John Hughey played on Billy's cut of that song. I'm pretty sure Hughey played on George's cut of it too.
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 10:01 pm    

I'm not aware if Billy recut that song recently or not. But I know when Billy first cut that song thirteen years ago that hughey played on it. I've known Billy for almost twenty-five years now. I was fortunate to get to hear that song before he recorded it.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 10:36 pm     Hi

Chris, I think it's John Hughey on 'Choices'.

Mike Johnson is one of my favourite players.
Check this out to find out more about Mike Johnson.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_GcwGXP58

David
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 12:12 pm     Choices

CHOICES

The Original Recording, (Written By Billy Yates), was sung by Billy. On The "Billy Yates" CD (on the Almo Label)

Alan Jackson had it on hold for ages.

George Jones finally recorded it in 2000,
It was on "The Cold Hard Truth" for which he got a grammy award, one of only two!!.
Paul Franklin played steel.

Billy did a duo with George Jones on his own MOD label, on an Album called "Favorites" The cd lists the following steelers on the album as being: - Steve Hinson, Mike Johnson, Russ Pauhl, Scott Sanders and Dan Dugmore.
I asked Billy if he remembered who played steel on "Choices". He said it was probably Steve Hinson but that he couldn't be certain.

I hope this helps

John Russell.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2010 7:13 am    

I know for a fact Hughey played on Billy's album that was put out on the Almo label cause I played for Billy when that album came out. I'm really surprised that Billy would'nt remember that cause I sat in his office at cummin station in Nashville and listened to all the stuff that Hughey played on and raved about how great Hughey's tone and style was on the album. Like I said before, I'm not 100 percent about George's cut but I would think they would've used Hughey as he did such a great job on Billy's cut if it. I live with Billy for a while when I first moved to Nashville to go to work for Ricky Skaggs. Billy even went with me when I went to audition for Skaggs. I met Billy when he was still living in Missouri. Billy is a great country singer and a great songwriter.
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 6:15 am     Hughey

Hughey did play on the Almo Recording.

Billy re-did the song with George Jones on his "Favorites" album.

If you look on the sleeve of the album, you will see the musicians Billy used on the Album listed. This was recorded on his "My Own Dam Label" (MOD)

I have been in the studio with Billy many times (Not as a musician) as a friend.

Billy cuts many Demo tracks, that may not be used for years, or not at all.

When he puts a new album together, he doesn't always remember who played all the instruments.

Yeah! Billy is a GREAT Nashville singer song writer.
He famously "Keeps It Country"

I was staying with Billy and family for Fanfair in June, he is very respected in music circles in Nashville. Always sports a Big Ole Smile for everyone.

Kind Regards

John
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 6:34 am    

Anyone know who dragged bar on Billy's The Man I Used To Be?

Off of his Only One George Jones album.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 8:04 am    

Mike Johnson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 8:06 am    

Brett Day wrote:
Mike Johnson

Thanks Brett.