| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel E9/B6 12 string Universal
Robert L Brown

Brownsville, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 5:05 pm    

I'm looking for anyone with any technical experience on the Excel U-12. I recently acquired one and I love it. However, it has a mechanical glitch - the 1st pedal, when depressed, causes the 6th string (G#) to raise in pitch slightly). I can't figure out why this is happening. The first pedal should only affect strings 5 and 9, raising them from B to C#, which it does. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 5:23 pm    

I have no idea of your familiarity with the undersides of steel guitars. You may have already ruled this out:

It is very possible that there is a tuning compensator, compensating for typical cabinet drop detuning of string 6 when the A pedal is depressed. You need to look underneath the guitar. See if there is an extra pull rod going from the A pedal cross shaft to the raising hole on the changer for string 6. If this is the case, your solution will be to back off the nylon tuner on string 6 that is raising the pitch. Either back it off entirely so that it no longer raises the pitch or tune it so that when the A pedal is depressed, the 6th string does not go flat.

This is just one possibility.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 12:10 pm    

Jon is probably correct.
fwiw, The purpose is because the A+F chord position causes the string-6-G# to go pretty flat.
So once you find that compensator/tuner you might just need to dial it in for the A+F position.
You can also just back it off so it doesn't do anything.
Robert L Brown

Brownsville, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 1:22 pm    

Jon and Pete: Thank you for your input regarding this issue. I just re-read my manual and found the section on the cabinet drop compensator mechanism. After looking at the diagram in the manual, I put the guitar in the case and located that compensator adjuster. I turned the little wheel until it had no effect on string 6 while 1st pedal was depressed. Problem solved. I still can't believe the remedy was so simple! You were both right on target with your advice. Thanks to you both. Is this a great Forum or what?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 7:09 am    

Outstanding!
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 5:57 am    

If I remember correctly , my Excel Superb had 3 or 4 compensators on it .....That steel is a mechanical marvel .....Great steel !!.......Jim
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 5:57 am    

If I remember correctly , my Excel Superb had 3 or 4 compensators on it .....That steel is a mechanical marvel .....Great steel !!.......Jim