| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Drunken/Doped-up band members................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2014 3:43 pm    

Way back when I started playing, one of the biggest handicaps was attempting to play a four hour gig with one or more of the band members being totally swacked at the start of the gig.

Is that much of problem for you folks at this point in time or, has it pretty much ceased to be an issue or problem?
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2014 4:10 pm    

Well, back in the so called "Good ole Days" almost every bar
always had a band, 2 or 3 nights a week, some every night.
Now because of regulations and high costs, you hardly ever
see a band in any bar. If you do, it's the young rockers, and
most of them will consume more than they can legally handle.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2014 4:13 pm    

True. And the drunk driving laws today are much stricter than they were back in the day. Even musicians are careful about how much they drink today.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 4:33 am     Re: Drunken/Doped-up band members................

Ray Montee wrote:
Way back when I started playing, one of the biggest handicaps was attempting to play a four hour gig with one or more of the band members being totally swacked at the start of the gig.

Is that much of problem for you folks at this point in time or, has it pretty much ceased to be an issue or problem?

Same as ever.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 5:11 am    

The older you get, the more you "weed out" the guys you will work with. If the money is good enough, you might try to work with some but soon it becomes unbearable. I really don't think it has changed all that much.
Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 5:46 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
True. And the drunk driving laws today are much stricter than they were back in the day. Even musicians are careful about how much they drink today.

Very true Doug!

Myself and most working musician I know today seldom indulge the way we did "back in the day". I still occasionally get stopped coming home from a gig - traffic isn't as heavy as it used to be in the wee hours and I believe cops figure that anyone out that time of night/morning is probably drinking. I guess that's where the "probable cause" comes in. It is very gratifying when they ask; "Have you been drinking tonight, Sir?" to be able to reply: "Nope". A few "doubting Tom type cops" have insisted I take the sobriety test and I've seen the look of disappoint in their eyes when I passed the test. At that point I find it very rewarding to know I played my gig as good as I am capable of and that I have proven I have the right to get back in my car and continue my trip home. (where I can sit down and drink myself into oblivion if I choose too.)
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 9:08 am    

I'm very careful about how much I drink at gigs now. Times have changed and the drunk driving laws have changed. My limit is two drinks on a gig now... unlike the old daze! Cool
Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 2:54 pm    

Actually,I THINK I play better after I wash down a couple of Percocets with a TallBoy of RedBull.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 4:28 pm    

Statistics show that 30% of all road accidents are caused by overindulgence in alcohol. That means, of course that 70% are caused by people who are stone cold sober. Maybe drinking while driving should be mandatory. Laughing
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 5:08 pm    

I like to drink a few, and used to smoke too. But never on a gig! I wanted to be 100%. I worked with guys who indulged though. Once I made a tape, and embarrassed the cr@p outa them. That did help,,,, a little. But some guys can't be helped.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 10:04 pm    

People play better straight,although those "drifter's days" [of six nights a week and a beer followed by a toke on every break]are far behind us now".We've got so much more to think about. Winking
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 9:12 am    

This topic bring memories of some of Jimmy Day's comments to me about "the good ole days",,,,LOL.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 10:07 am    

Wink Winking I never drank or did partake in any substance and my band members were all part of the local clergy. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 1:29 pm    

This is exactly why I can't remember the 70's
JB
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 6:21 am    

And the 30% that are alcohol related, does not necessarily mean that it REALLY was a factor... Only that alcohol was present...even in an accident where you were not at fault, if you get tested, and youre positive, you ARE at fault...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 12:15 pm    

Makes those 1st and 2nd class medicals complicated!

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 3:35 pm    

I always thought I played much better when I was half hammered. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 30 Jul 2016 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 4:56 am    

I realize this is an old thread but I don't get on here much any more. Anyhow, I just wanted to comment that I think a lot of the older pickers have given up the bad habits that were so common back when. Most have lost a lot because of booze and drugs and many even their lives. I am currently working with some of the best musicians I have ever worked with, both in our band and out of it, and EVERYONE of them shares horror stories of drinking and doping and are thankful to be alive and not having killed someone else or themselves. When I DO see a drunk on stage I am reminded of my own past and the old adage "there but for the grace of God" comes to mind. I have been clean and sober for almost thirty years and am grateful for it. On the humorous side, the state likker store near me closed not long after I quit. I can listen to old recordings we made back when and realize that everyone in the band was under the influence and we were absolutely not as accomplished as we thought. I will no longer play with known boozers or guys who use to the point that it will effect their performance. At least not more than once.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 6:58 am    

the reason why isn't as important as the question of whether or not you can perform well. you either do or you don't. just ask lance armstrong.
i limit myself to two drinks at a time.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 7:16 am    

I can remember one gig I did in the late-'60s when I acted pretty stupidly - I had far too much to drink and I still got in my car to drive home. I was stopped by a police officer who cut me the biggest break of my life (I now believe). He took me to an UndergrounD station and 'suggested' that I return for my car the next day. Clutching my precious Gibson Super 400 I took the Northern Line home.

In the cold light of morning I realised how lucky I'd been and I've never repeated such foolhardiness.

This thread made me think; all my work is professional in nature (theatrical pit-jobs, mostly) and I don't think I've ever seen another member of the band 'the worse for wear'. Of course, I've yet to see an open-bar in an orchestra-pit so maybe that's been a factor!
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 8:22 am    

I'd draw the line at drinking alone. If your dog is home, you're not alone. Very Happy
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 8:28 am    

I played a sub gig some time back and on the first night the guitar player made it through two sets and on the second night he didn't even make up to the stage at the start.

We found him slumped over in his truck out back. We woke him up and asked what was wrong and he sits up and in this Foster Brooks kinda voice he says.."Isn't it obvious,I'm a drunk".

I've played in many situations where guys passed out or just left early. It's very frustrating but very good for practicing.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 9:29 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=127391&highlight=band+gets
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 6:58 pm    

It's a big problem in Florida, but over the years I've learned to weed out the drunks & stoners, & don't play with them anymore.
For me, the limit is 1 or 2 drinks, and never after the second set. Only time I drink more is when the band is so bad it's an embarassment. Fortunately, those gigs are few & far between now, as I've also learned to avoid the bad musicians, too.

out of the blue
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 4:58 am    

I remember the paradigm shift in the 80's, away from trying to be more entertaining by imbibing or reaching the limit of over-indulgence.
The term 'weed out' took on a whole other meaning.