| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons E9 — 1 and 7 halfstep up for pedal 0?
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 2:34 am    

Im experimenting on P0 of a D10 which is almost a Franklin® Pedal lower on 5 and 6 but without 10). Trying out 1 and 7 raise half now. Anyone use this change? Would just raising 1, or 1 and 2 be better for a 0 pedal? I kinda like the 1 raise half, and already lower 6 and raise 1 both whole on RKL now. Any thoughts on this?
Looking for options. I don't use the Frnkln pedal much as is. Embarassed
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 3:06 am    

If it were me, I'd back off the knee to raise 1 a half step and use P0 to raise 1 and 2 a whole and half respectively. If you have the "split tuning" screws, you could use it to combine the raise of 2 and its whole step drop.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 3:27 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
If it were me, I'd back off the knee to raise 1 a half step and use P0 to raise 1 and 2 a whole and half respectively. If you have the "split tuning" screws, you could use it to combine the raise of 2 and its whole step drop.

exactly... IMHO, you will use pedal 0 a lot with this configuration.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 4:30 am    

Why not put 6 G#-A together with 2 D#-E & 1 F#-G# on P0
It gives a really nice move from a G#min7 to Amaj7 on open strings 6 5 2 1 if it is next to your A pedal. There is a bunch of fun to be found playing chords on strings 6 5 2 1.
You could also play the maj7 on strings 6 5 4 3 as well.

B.Erlandsen
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 8:27 am     Re: Emmons E9 — 1 and 7 halfstep up for pedal 0?

Clete Ritta wrote:
Im experimenting on P0 Trying out 1 and 7 raise half now.

Raising F# strings can be very useful when the AB pedals are in use. You can't reach P0 with the right foot so you couldn't use it while AB pedals are mashed with the left foot. So if you don't have a knee lever for the F# raise, you could put it on P8 or P10 or something over by the right foot. I don't use F# raise (not usually).
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 9:38 am     Re: Emmons E9 — 1 and 7 halfstep up for pedal 0?

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Clete Ritta wrote:
Im experimenting on P0 Trying out 1 and 7 raise half now.

Raising F# strings can be very useful when the AB pedals are in use. You can't reach P0 with the right foot so you couldn't use it while AB pedals are mashed with the left foot.

This is why I have the change on my vertical.

I believe that for the most part it doesn't matter very much which knee lever does what. This is the exception. Putting this change on the vertical is IMHO the best place for the change, and the best use of the lever.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 10:23 am    

I would find raising the F#'s to G useless (to me) on a pedal instead of a knee lever. Like Mike, I have mine on the vertical. It is used so much with A and B. I also have my F# to G# on string 1 and string 2 to E on a pedal next to my A pedal.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 11:28 am    

Clete, you might want use the 0 pedal to to lower strings 3 and 6 from G# to G natural. You can do some interesting things by combining that with the A pedal.
Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 5:42 pm    

I have agreed with Mike and Richard in theory for a long time, but for several years I've split up my F# raises between two different levers - the 1st string on RKL (with a half-stop at the start of the 2nd string raise to E, bringing the F# up to G# at the end), and the 7th string semitone raise only on RKR (along with the "usual" 2nd and 9th string lowers with half-stop). But I just got tired of a.) always missing the half-stop on the 1st string pull, b.) not having that smooth double move of 1 & 2 starting and finishing together on the full raise, and c.) having the 5 & 10 lowers stuck on the vertical which made me less likely to use them; so I finally took the plunge and moved my 5 & 10 lowers to one of my two RKLs, and put the 1 & 7 half step raises together on the vertical. I'm loving it, but I do need to figure out how to get back my 1 & 2 raises, and this time with the smooth togetherness movement. A 0 pedal would require more work and movement than I'm willing to do right now, so I'm trying to think of a device that will switch the function of the vertical between the two sets of moves. But otherwise, I can't recommend the 1 & 7 half tone moves on the vertical enough. I wish I'd had the guts to move them there sooner.
Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 5:45 pm    

And to try to stay more on topic, if I did have a 0 pedal, it would probably be a toss-up between the aforementioned 1 & 2 raise, or a 2nd string whole tone lower....
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 1:00 am    

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Im going to try Lanes idea, since it will be most easy to implement from the current config. Ive been occasionally using the 1 raised just a half (by ear with no half stop) for scales involving strings 1-5 using A and F. That was my reason for trying 1 raise a half by itself on P0. This only combines P0 with A though. Ernest described the rational of the 1/7 lever perfectly in that it can't be used with AB at the same time on a pedal.

Putting the 1/2 raises on P0 adds a new change to one I already like, and tuning my RKL string 1 to a half solves the scale issue.

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:
Why not put 6 G#-A together with 2 D#-E & 1 F#-G# on P0...

That sounds like an interesting idea, and the only reason I have not to try it is more spare parts.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 2:22 am    

Paul Hoaglin wrote:
And to try to stay more on topic, if I did have a 0 pedal, it would probably be a toss-up between the aforementioned 1 & 2 raise, or a 2nd string whole tone lower....

I love the strings 1 & 2 raises on the pedal next to my A pedal. When I had it on a lever (my 2nd LKL), it was just too hard to use. On the floor, I can get to it quick, and play faster licks, because using a pedal is faster than using a lever. There's one lick that I can no longer get, but hey, who needs it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 6:04 am    

What lick? Grow ring finger stronger, if it needs the B pedal.