| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  can someone show me a pic of a properly installed MSA vkl??
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 12:54 pm    

I have a vkl kit for my 74 D10 msa and I am not 100% sure of myself. I am lowering B's to B flats. Which cross shaft location should I use. Where to mount the lever bracket. Where the stop goes on the cross shaft.
A pic is worth a million words

Thx in advance. Smile
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 1:04 pm    

If you use that B-Bb lower for split tuning the A pedal, make sure the vertical lever is installed so you can use the E's to Eb lever at same time. If you have the E's-Eb on the opposite knee it wont be that critical if Vertical comes in from the left or right side.

B.Erlandsen
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 1:21 pm    

I lower my E to E flat on my rkl.

Thx for the input.

Can someone just take a pic of their nicely installed vkl.

I got a real nice vkl kit from Jim Palenscar and dont want to screw anything. Just want to do it right once!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 4:49 pm    

I recommend not using a stop on the shift. Kyle and Reece would often use the head of a wood screw under the pull (or push, actually).
When I tried the pedal stop approach, things twisted on the shaft. If you use the screw, it's under the lever, so it can't twist. I put mine just in front of the LKL lever, so that it's not in the way of many pulls.
If the guitar were home and I were home, I'd take a picture.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 4:59 pm    

Ok so there is a 1/2 inch flat head wood screw.that came with the kit so that must be the stop screw.
Something told me that the crank pushes the cross shaft and doesnt pull. That makes sense now.

Thx for the help Lane. But please post a pic here if you can. My steel is apart and upside down and will be that way until the weekend.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 5:06 pm    

How high of the deck do you leave the screw and do you adjust this or is it mount and leave alone?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 5:10 pm    

Ummmm, I am driving the Kenworth til Sunday night, the knee lever is in my basement, and the guitar is on loan to Steve Gunder til Gary builds his Ritt. . I think I could get the three together Monday. Let me know if you need the pics then.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 5:29 pm    

K thanx Lane.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 6:36 pm    

I run the screw all the way in, and adjust stop height by rotating the pull on the shaft. A wood screw halfway in sounds bad idea.
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 11:28 pm    

Quentin, I have a circa 1980 Vintage XL that has VKL dropping the B's to Bb. I climbed under it just now and took a few photos to send to you. It might be easier for me to email them directly to you than for me to try to post them to the forum from my iPhone. Let me know where to send them by sending a private message to me on the forum & I will get them to you. If it looks like the same kit and you need more photos, I'll take some more. I got this guitar from Danny Cormier in Louisianna 5 or 6 years ago, and I think I remember him saying that it was a kit that he obtained from someone he knew, and then he installed it, before selling the guitar to me. He is a forum member and I'm sure you could contact him for advice. There may be other kits than the one on my guitar, and it would be my guess that each kit would need to be installed differently. It works well and I've had no trouble with it. It looks to be a whole new cross shaft, as the rest of the MSA ones are round and this cross shaft is square stock. I hope this info can help you.
Larry Robertson, Parker, CO
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 10:01 am    

Quentin, I installed one on my 1980 S10 MSA Vintage XL. It lowers the B's to Bb. Also, like you, my E lower is on my RKL. This may be a different lever kit than yours, but the placement and operation should be similar. I bought this kit from a guy in Canada whose name I don't recall. As well as the lever, it included the cross shaft, bell cranks, pull rods, and positive stop.

The vertical lever is mounted directly to it's own cross shaft....which is located just above the LKL.

Here's another angle looking from the pedals towards the changer:

Here's a distance shot to give you some reference as to the big picture.

Hope this helps......
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 9:24 am    

That's not like the one that Michael sells, that he said was built on the original MSA LKV. It features a link from the lever to the shaft, and the lever mounting on a separate tower.
If I get with my guitar tomorrow, I'll take some pics of it.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 6:25 pm    

Much apreciated Lane.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 6:09 pm    

I apreciate everyone who has emailed me pics and cotacted me but no one who did has a d10 classic circa mid 70s. Also the kit is from Steel guitars of North county and I bought the 7.5 vertical knee from Micheal Yahl. I tried installing the lever using cross shaft 6 for the 2 pulls and the tower is straddling cross shaft 4. I found that once I tried to engage the knee lever it was too far to the right. I was only able to get the first half of the lever off the hinge which made.it super hard to engage! Evil Twisted

Maybe I need to re arrange some other pulls not sure. My pedal 4 pulls get in the way but they are standard pulls for my C6 and I would like leave them if I could.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 7:01 pm    

The kit I have is basically the same as a stock msa vkl.
If I didnt already have Ton of pulls this would be an easy install but I have a full plate here so thats why I was hoping that some with a classic D10 would chime in.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2014 8:14 am    

Quentin, shoot me an email and I'll send you a few pics. They're taken several months ago, and it was only partially rodded. And the guitar is a U-12
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:07 pm     update on the msa vkl

Hey guys. Just thought I would update everyone. I have it all hooked up and even though it isnt quite "there" like it was on my carter. Its pretty good. I have it hanging down quite a bit so I can engage with my shoes on and not having to lift my whole foot off the floor.