| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B-Bb split tuning trick
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 11:50 pm    

There are many uses for the B-Bb change and some use in pedal/lever combinations differently than others.

If I only lower the 5th string to Bb I can get a maj7 on strings 10 8 7 5 ( Root 3rd 5th 7th ) w E's lowered and 5th string lowered.

But I also want to use the B-Bb together w A+B for a minor6th across strings 10 8 7 6 5 4 3 1 or for a diminshed voicing on the same strings when I lower Both E's at the same time.

So here is the trick.
Install the lower on both strings 10 and 5. Press A+B engage the B-Bbb lower and tune the minor voicing using the nylon tuners for the B-Bb lower.
Release pedals and tune the 5th string to Bb w split tuning screw if necessary.
Tune 10th string back to B using split tuning screw on 10th string.

Now the 10string should stay at B while the 5th string lowers to Bb but if you press A pedal both 10th & 5th string are split tuned.

Bengt Erlandsen
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 11:10 pm    

A few players (and I've noticed Don Curtis has done this) back off the nylon tuning nut on the 10th string B-Bb lower when they play primarily in the "B6th" mode of the E9th tuning. It allows for a few more chord possibilities that way, and if you forget or don't have time to re-activate the 10th string lower before playing a typical E9th styling, it generally won't have a negative effect. I might try doing this trick myself in the near future as I think it might work well in an arrangement of "True Love Ways" that I have in mind.

Tim Rowley
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2004 8:35 am    

Tim,

You are correct. This is ever more true when going universal. IE, "what do I do with that bottom B to Bb change?" Well, if you are going to go true universal, you give it up.

While this is fine for most who go U, it was not satisfactory for me. So I have a little automatic switch that gives me the best of both worlds.

Praise Jesus for all our many blessings,

carl

Are you troubled? Try this
Hans Holzherr

Münchenbuchsee, Switzerland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 12:22 pm    

Bengt, I did exactly that, but then I installed the Franklin change which lowers the low B to A. So, what I did was add a pull rod to the bell crank that raises the Bb back to B. It makes my LKV a little hard to push, but not too hard.