| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless tuners II
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 10:22 am    

In another thread, I posted pictures of my Excel keyless tuner head. I then posted pictures of the "prestretcher" gizmo I made to aid in changing strings.

The following is where I got the idea from. In the photos youb will see what at least one Linkon PSG onwer did as a permanent "prestretcher". Unlike mine, his prestretcher remains firmly affixed to the keyless tuner head.

Clever idea I think.

I owe mine to studying his. Any questions, I will to try an answer.

Top View

Front side View

Bottom View

As viewed from the fret board

Note: All photos previously appeared on this forum in another thread. I am sad I do not recall the player's name that posted them. But I sincerely appreciate him doing it since it gave me the idea for mine.

Thank YOU sir!

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 27 February 2004 at 01:07 PM.]

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 11:56 am    

Carl, I think the name is Joe Delaronde
from Selkirk, Manitoba.
I agree, a smart idea from a smart gentleman.

Roy
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 5:16 pm    

Carl
The tuner is a prototype which installes on any pre-Mellinium MSA or Link steel guitar, but can be fitted to most steels.

The old keyheads are removed and the new keyless tuner is installed directly on the cabinet without routing the cabinet.

No measuring or making is necessary. Simply place the tuner in position, and press down. There ar 5 pointed studs which make small tick maks on the cabinet which serve as a guide for drilling.

The pre-tuner works great.

I am upgrading the design with a removable pre-tuner which uses a "chinese" trap.

Thanks for displaying it.

Anyone interested, email Wayne Link
Linkon@mts.net
or me.

Thanks
Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 26 February 2004 at 05:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 26 February 2004 at 05:22 PM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 7:20 am    

Thanks Joe,

I have a question about the keyless tuner above.

Are you able to prestretch the string and still get a ful wrap under the allen locking screw. Or does the stretcher permit no more than a half a wrap so to speak?

Also, I am soooo ashamed of forgetting your name. It seems that each day a few more "mem" cells die.

Please forgive,

carl
Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2004 9:46 pm    

Carl

It's called Alheimers Light.

The pre-tuning shaft has 10 holes. Each hole is off-set to its particular tuning finger.

Also, notice the center of the locking screw head is directly in line with the string threading eye on the tuning finger. This makes the string pass under the screw head from an angle. It's then threaded into the pre-tuner shaft and pulled in an opposite angle. These two angles force the string against the body of the locking screw, under the head. This allows the string to wrap 1/2 turn under the locking screw head. No more is needed, because.... the threaded hole under locking screw head, is countersunk. Also....the locking screw is not threaded 100% to the bottom of the screw head which leaves a slight shoulder (.020) where the string passes under. You have to look hard at the screw to see this. This shoulder forces the string down into the countersink dimple. Generates more friction.

When pre-tuning, I bring the string up to 5 or 6 semi tones below pitch and lock it in place. The tuning finger will only move app. 1/8" to complete the tuning.

Also take note that the tuning screw passes through a threaded brass bushing installed in the tuning finger. The screw end sits in a dimple located at the rear of the nut. The screw is parallel at all times and can't creep up the wall of the nut when turned.

Since this proto type the tuning gear has been installed flush with side of the tuning frame. Looks better.

Joe

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 7:18 am    

Thank you Joe,

I assumed this was the way it worked after studying it. You have confirmed that. I commend you for creating this. It is well thought out and well made. If I had a keyed guitar that I wanted to make keyless, I would be very pleased to order one of the new ones. I think it is a terrific and clever idea.

Thanks again dear friend,

carl
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 7:31 am    

I have a question for you Joe.
Is it possible for you to customize the
grooves in the nut shaft to accomadate
various tunings? This of course to ensure
an even plain at the nut.
Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 4:52 pm    

Roy.
Yes! The stainless steel nut stock is removable, and on this proto type the grooves are gauged for E9th.

I use a cutting tool ground and honed to a SHARP 60 degree point. This makes a very sharp "V" groove so the smallest strings i.e. .011, will not sit on the bottom of the groove, but will touch both sides.

If you want to change a tuning with different gauges, the nut can be replaced with one which has the proper grooves.

In my previous thread I wrote, "When pre-tuning, I bring the string up to 5 or 6 semi tones below pitch and lock it in place. The tuning finger will only move app. 1/8" to complete the tuning."

I should have added that the tuning finger can move about 1/2" before running out of travel. This is enough to pull a string up one octave.

Thanks
Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 01 March 2004 at 05:01 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 01 March 2004 at 05:02 PM.]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 6:51 am    

Very nice work and well thought out Joe- good job! I'd like to see this in person some time- do you go to any of the shows?
Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 7:37 am    

Jim
I hope to go to some of the shows in the near future. I do attend the Mid Canada Steel Guitar show every year. I live only 20 miles away.

I would be glad to email pics of the finished product to anyone interested in seeing them.

At present I am working on 2 unique changers. Trying to have one done for the Mid Canada show in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on April 24/25.

Thanks for the interest.
Joe