| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sound improvement?
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 12:55 am    

I have a question, probably mainly for Sierra owners: I have a keyless Sierra single 14 universal that I've never managed to get to sound that good. It has a nasal sound that comes thru no matter how I set the knobs at my Session 500, so I use to cheat with the help of a chorus. However, the more I play, the more I want to get a good real sound without any electronic cheating, but I don't know what to do. The modular pick up design is unique - is there at all anyone else than Sierra that makes them, if I would like to try something else?

Anders B
http://www.countryneers.com/

[This message was edited by Anders Brundell on 01 March 2004 at 12:59 AM.]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 6:51 am    

The pickups can be removed from the holders if you are real careful and patient. They are held in place by a silicone glue that must be loosened first- usually by inserting a long razor blade around the sides of the holder, then most of the time the pickups can be pushed out from the bottom slots of the holders. That being said- I have one around here that I never could get out. Soon there will be new holders out if you're not feeling too adventurous.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 9:47 am    

Ed Webster here in Oregon has a set-up similar to YOURS, I do believe. You might email him for specifics. He's a great guy; fine player and a Forumite.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 10:17 am    

There aren't too many 14-string pickups available. Are you using the Barcus Berry?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 12:03 pm    

I have a Danny Shields pick-up in my '83, keyless, Sierra S14. It has always sounded great.

BTW: I'm thinking about selling the Sierra with a bunch of associated goodies. Watch the "Buy & Sell" pages for the post.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 2:56 pm    

b0b: look at the 3 last pics at http://groups.msn.com/countryfolketidalarna/dcmcsfotoalbum.msnw?Page=Last I don't know what manufacturer it might be. The digits 18 - 24 - 3 are hand engraved in the bottom plate of the pick-up.
Glenn: I'll look in Buy and Sell now and then for a fitting pick-up and some other parts I need.
Thanks all of you for your advices!

BTW: My new Nash 1000 has arrived and so has the transformer (we run 230 V 50 Hz over here). The sound is similar to my old Session 500 but somewhat bassier. However they sound so bloody good in stereo on each side of Mr Me, so I'll keep them both. First I planned to sell the 500 but that stereo sound changed my mind.

Anders
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 4:14 pm    

That's a Shields pickup, Anders.
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 2:24 am    

Now I've listened and turned the sound filter knobs so much that I'm totally tone exhausted, and every setting sounds awful. Noone in the band has complained, actually, but I know that I have an inclination towards too sharp treble. When it sounds Fender twang to my ears, it sounds glass cutting to some others, and I really don't know how to get an independent estimation. Maybe tilting the amp towards the ceiling would spread the highs better (?)
BTW: What sound differences are there between the differnet brands fitting Sierra modular 14 strings, if you try to describe?

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders Brundell on 02 March 2004 at 07:59 AM.]