| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box.
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 8:23 pm    

For real, is it that good? Can you instantly hear the difference with and without it? I know some really great players use this thing and I love their tone, but is that the secret? Will I really hear the difference? Will I feel it Instantly? Would love to hear feedback from both advocates and the unconvinced. Is it just guys with great technique that happen to endorse this thing. For instance I used the goodrich volume pedal for years and years then switched to the Hilton Low profile pedal. To be honest with ya I hear no difference, I do like the low profile feel because I have long legs but Goodrich offers the same thing. Only problem with the goodrich pedal is the Pot they use (it sucks- sorry Goodrich). I switched to the Dunlop Pot and that problem was solved. I would not spend the money on the Hilton if I knew then what I know now. That being said, let me do some more recording with the Hilton and I may change my mind. Anyway back to square one.....does the black box make that much difference? I'd appreciate anyone's input.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 4:19 am     Re: Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box.

Barry Yasika wrote:
For real, is it that good? Can you instantly hear the difference with and without it? Will I really hear the difference? Will I feel it Instantly?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 5:38 am    

YES ! Smile

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 5:39 am    

Unquestionably yes.
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 5:49 am    

Yes - it is that good. Not only will you instantly hear a difference - it's gets better and better the longer you keep playing through it.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 9:40 am     Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box

My short answer is, yes, they are very good and worth consideration. To my ears, the words dramatic difference is a bit strong. I hear the difference, but it is more of a subtle difference to me, but it is definitely there and smoothes out the sound.

Here is my history with the Black Box.

I had an Emmons PP and ordered a Black Box from Jerry Roller because he had one in stock and had a money back guarantee if not satisfied. I tried it a couple of daya and called Jerry. I told him that I could not tell much difference and that I would like to return it. He said no problem, but asked me to keep it for 2 weeks to give it a fair test, so I did. After two weeks, I could tell a bigger difference and kept it.

I was needing money, so I sold the Black Box. Then I sold the Emmons and got a Zum D-10 at a great price. With the Zum and a Nashville 112 amp, I could not get the highs right without them sounding klangy. So, I ordered another Black Box. This made a world of difference in smoothing out my highs and just the overall smoothness of my sound.

Maybe it has a different effect on different guitar and amp combinations, and certainly different ears. I only know that my experience with the Black Box has been nothing but positive and I recommend them and I don't play without it now, not even for practice at home. It is a big part of my sound, which probably means nothing to anybody but me.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 10:23 am    

I agree with virtually all the above comments. The Black Box works really well with my Peavey Session 400 and Peavey Rhythm Master 400. Those the only amps I've used it with.

The BB does not dramatically change your tone; it's fairly subtle. But after you've played with it for awhile, then if you unplug it you'll find your amp is much more harsh and sterile. With the BB you get a smoother, more rounded tone, particularly with the highs.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 10:52 am    

What Paul said. When I first got a BB I didn't notice any worthwhile difference. After playing it for a week or so, I took it out of the line up and boy, did it sound empty! Now it's my "American express"...won't leave home without it.
NRA Life member
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 12:57 pm    

I have had one for a couple of years and of course, yes, there is an improved difference.
I will add though, the difference is much like using the L'il Izzy. I have done both and can't really tell the difference....but that is while playing live. Haven't A/B'd them at home.

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 3:25 pm    

I love the black box especially with a non-tube amp. It evens things out and warms them up. I don't gig without mine. I also have a Freeloader but prefer the black box.

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 5:55 am     Thanks for the input.

Hey Guys, Thanks for taking the time and being so gracious enough to let me read your input. I appreciate it all.

Barry Yasika
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 6:11 am     Yes

Yes it is great! Use it right after the steel before any volume pot or effects..I have the variable knob and it serves as my main EQ adjustment.
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 3:54 pm    

I have #94 blackbox brad said ive never seen the top of a black box with so much wear on it he said I get the prise for rhw most used bb in production so there there you go and I only use music mans and twin reverbs and yes there is a huge difference if it's not in my signal chain
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 7:56 pm    

I have #94 blackbox brad said ive never seen the top of a black box with so much wear on it he said I get the prise for rhw most used bb in production so there there you go and I only use music mans and twin reverbs and yes there is a huge difference if it's not in my signal chain
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 8:07 pm    

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 8:07 pm    

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2014 7:06 pm    

I have one and I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with mine. Mine has the variable Z control. I can adjust it for tone and warmth.[/quote]
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 5:27 pm    

P.S. Doing some recording into a mixer? Man don't forget to stick that black box twenched them! At home here I go steel<black box<rolls active direct box<mixer. Works for me. Whoa!
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 5:42 pm    

The first time I plugged into Brad's Black Box the wife came downstairs from the kitchen to see what I had done to make it sound so good. True story.
Brad Issendorf

Lake City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 7:05 pm    

I was thinking about an alternative application for a Black Box, and was wondering if anyone had tried it? What if you are running direct signal to the mixer, if you would run it in the send/return loop of the steel channel after the channel preamp? Has anyone tried this and what kind of outcome was there?

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 7:16 pm    

It's designed to place a tube in the position of keeping a steady load on the pickup.
While it sounds good elsewhere, it doesn't get to do its best work.
Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 11:55 am    

Does anybody have any tips or input on using the Vari-Z ? Or is it one of those self explanatory " tweak it until it sounds good to your ears" kind of thing?

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 2:17 pm    

Don Griffiths wrote:
Does anybody have any tips or input on using the Vari-Z ? Or is it one of those self explanatory " tweak it until it sounds good to your ears" kind of thing?

Yes, turn it until you like it. Try it in the 11 o'clock to 3 o'clock range. That's where most people settle in on it.

Brad
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 3:14 pm    

Barry,
If you don't hear the difference between a Hilton and a Goodrich volume pedal and you regret spending money on it maybe buying things arbitrarily to get "better" tone isn't for you.

With that.. Brad makes some of the most high quality gear ever made for steel. I absolutely love the V8 pre amp. It is astonishing. All his stuff is like that.

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 5:10 pm    

Hey Brad, sent you an email a while back and didn't get an answer.