| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing ShoBud Setup? = DONE!!!😃
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 5:54 am    

I have decided to change my setup to "standard emmons" with Es on the left leg. Is it just a matter of moving the rods around to do this?

Last edited by Jason Putnam on 5 Oct 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 6:05 am    

Depends on what's on the lever you are swapping with.
No matter what, you will need to move bellcranks into proper position. If the number of rods in the swap are not right, you will need to add or remove bellcranks. Then it depends on what Sho-Bud you have. If it is swivel puller model you will need to remove cross shafts in order to add/remove bellcranks.
Also, if swivel cranks, you will need to be sure that you maintain the same hole that is currently being used.
Certainly, a Superpro mechanism is easier.

eta----actually, even Superpro cranks require cross shaft removal to add or remove, don't they?
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 6:35 am    

It's barrels behind two hole pullers. I think I have 2 pullers on each cross shaft. So I won't have to move any. Just adjust left and right. But will probably have to move the brass swivels on some. I have to find some small snap ring pliers somewhere.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 6:53 am    

Cool. Time to start shooting snap rings across the room.

Just keep in mind that the lever stop is another parameter in the equation.
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 7:19 am    

Not sure what u mean about the lever stops? Can you explain?

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 7:26 am    

He means that some levers use more travel than others.
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 7:30 am    

Gotcha. Thanks. I hate to have to do all this work. But I have tried to "like" having the Es on the right levers but some of the changes just aren't comfortable to me.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 7:35 am    

Yeah--talking about the physical adjustment of throw-length. Moving from one lever to another, you may or may not need to address the differences in how they are set.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 7:36 am    

The good news on a Bud is that what you see is what you've got. It is very logical and obvious, once you understand what you are doing.
Mark Nix

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 8:19 am    

Where in TN are you, Jason?

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 8:23 am    

Cedar hill. About 30 min north of Nashvile.

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 8:52 am    

Location of E and F levers is the subject of a lot of threads, and I know you're not asking this question, but there are a tremendous number of players that land with the E raise on lkl and e lowers on the right knee, either rkl or rkr.

That would cut your work in half. I have 4 steels all with e changes in different locations, including both on left leg, both on right leg, and on opposite legs, split differently. My personal preference is to have them on separate legs, which I think would be where most players land, and I fall into a bit of a minority when I say my preference is for e lowers on rkr. My least favorite is with both changes on the right knee.

Just my way of suggesting if you start this revamp, maybe start with just moving your e raises to lkl, and see how it fits before you go the next step to moving the e lowers to lkr.
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 9:20 am    

Thanks. I may give that a shot. The main problems I have with my current setup is the e raise doesn't feel right and my LKR is my first string raise which is really awkward when used with pedals down. (Swinging doors intro)

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 9:26 am    

Tom, there are pretty things that call for the concurrent use of the E lowers and the 2nd string lower.
There pretty things that call for the concurrent use of the E lowers and the 6th string lower.
If you split up the E raises and lowers, one of those two combos will disappear.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 9:54 am    

Yes, lane, all of those points are valid. The great debate on the forum between emmons and franklin is pretty much where the issue remains.

I tossed the suggestion lightly because I know this won't be resolved anytime soon. Why it's important to try different approaches until there's something that bonds. At a point, a person makes a jump forward or finds they just want to shake things up a little, and all good reasons to try different things.
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 10:27 am     Shobud setup = Done!!

Well it only took me three hours to do(Stupid C clips are a pita) but I got it done. Now I am standard setup. I tried to like the way it was but it just wasn't happening for me. Now it's like I'm in heaven!! I still need a couple of brass swivels ( two of mine are smaller than the puller circumference and don't work well) and a couple of barrel tuners (one the screw is stripped and the other is to pull 9 for second string half stop) and it will be perfect.

PS. I have my george L e66 If anyone has those particular parts I need. I'll swap even!!

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 11:16 am    

James Morehead and Michael Yahl can fix you up. Both great folks and great parts.