| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tough business
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 9:18 am    

Did a gig last night with a 6-piece jump-swing band in a bar located in a trendy area of Indy. Busy night life with packed bars and sidewalks until late. Place was hopping' and I thought the band sounded good. Learned that the band got the gig when a previously booked group cancelled out.

We started at 10:30, load-in was a tough challenge, parking was in a paid lot and drinks were full price. OK, that happens and goes with the territory. Played in worse situations and, like I mentioned, the group, crowd and music were fun..

The bad part was where the manager said he appreciated the band flling in but preferred trios because they only cost $300.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 10:38 am    

so what did you take home after parking, schlepping yer stuff, buying drinks, gas etc.??

sounds like it was a blues band?
William Connerley

Collinsville, Mississippi
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 5:36 am    

Eric,

I will be in Central Indiana the first two weeks of January. What is left of the country music scene in Indianapolis? Where are the places to hear country music in Indy now? Please don't tell me that The Eight Seconds Saloon is it.

I am from the Sherman Bar, Crazy Horse, and Blue Flame days of country music in Indy. Sadly (in the case of the old Sherman Bar, maybe not so sadly) these old hard drinking honky tonks are now gone.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 6:00 am    

I worked for about 13 years, here in Florida, with Bernie Waldon. He was at the Crazy Horse for many years (and the overnight DJ on WIRE AM when it was country).

Sadly, Bernie passed away about 2 years ago. Heart attack.
William Connerley

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 7:22 am    

Jack, My mother and father knew Bernie very well along with Glenn Scott. Glenn was a DJ at WGEE on south Sherman Drive during a part of the 60s. I remember visiting him with my father at the station.

I have downloaded a couple of pictures you may be interested in seeing. The first is Bernie with Jane Lane. The second is of Glenn Scott.

I can't say I knew Bernie well as by the time of the Rhythm Rascals I had been drafted and away I went to Viet Nam. The last time I saw Bernie was at Steve Jeffris' annual fan club picnic. That was several years ago. Also that year George Hamilton the IV was there.

Another unknown artist playing with Glenn in Indianapolis was Steve Wariner.

If you are interested I can post several pictures of the 60s/70s Indy country music club scene.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 8:48 am    

William, those are new pics to me. I've seen some of Bernie's old pictures.

Bernie and I were in a band together and toured with Tommy Cash for 7 winters and George Hamilton IV for 2 winters, along with several other Nashville singers. We also worked a Tuesday show (Catfish Johnny's) for 13 years.

Steve Jefferies comes to Florida in the winter and does shows. I knew about Bernie working with him back there.
William Connerley

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 11:05 am    

The pictures were taken by my mother. I have been digitizing all of our family pictures many which were taken in clubs and country music parks around Central Indiana. This is the first time I have posted any of them anywhere.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 9:10 am    

Interesting story, Eric, in spite of the topic drift.

chris ivey wrote:
so what did you take home after parking, schlepping yer stuff, buying drinks, gas etc.??

sounds like it was a blues band?

I'm curious to know, too.

Lee, from South Texas
William Connerley

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 9:35 am    

I apologize for the off topic from the original post. I thought long and hard about should I or shouldn’t I post it. Because of the original post coming from an Indianapolis musician and the comment from Jack I went ahead and posted it. With hindsight maybe I should have sent a PM to Jack instead.

I am still interested in knowing about the current country music scene in Central Indiana and Indianapolis.