| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many own a Gibson console grande guitar ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 12:59 pm    

Probably asked before, but just curious how many of you own one of these instruments ? Just curious,,,I think it is an instrument I would like to own at some point...I just missed out on one on the bay.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 3 Oct 2014 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 1:08 pm    

Do you mean a Gibson Console Grand? Very Happy
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:23 pm    

Erv
Arent the grand consoles grand ? ? Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:32 pm    

Below is my early 60's Console Grande C-520 (also seen it called CG-520). When I bought it I had the choice of getting the earlier and more popular sunburst variety played by Don Helms but this instrument just spoke to me and I've never regretted it! I love the longer scale and 4-8-4 pickups.

I love postwar gibson steels a whole lot, but recognize most would prefer the more traditional/popular type mentioned above.

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:37 pm    

Adan
That is a beautiful steel!! What a treasure to you to you to haveheld on to it all these years!!! Good for you ! I get to madison every summer, maybe i can come by some time and see this beauty in person ....thanks for posting !
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:39 pm    

Larry...
I have one....when you are in AZ, come by and check it out.

Billy Easton
Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:43 pm    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
Adan
That is a beautiful steel!! What a treasure to you to you to haveheld on to it all these years!!! Good for you ! I get to madison every summer, maybe i can come by some time and see this beauty in person ....thanks for posting !

Ha, I am 27 years old and bought this last November. But sure, feel free to drop a line when the time comes. Chances are decent I'll be playing somewhere in town during your trip. And if not we can work something out.

Really recommend a gibson console though. You wouldn't regret it!

Last edited by Adam Nero on 17 Sep 2014 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:49 pm    

Here is my first one, I bought second hand in about 1953. I had a second one, but sold it to a student a few years ago. I also have a National Grand Console 8.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 6:30 pm    

Billy
I will definately do that ! These pictures are great..thanks for posting...makes me drool !
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 6:56 pm    

Here's my Gibson Console Grande, model CG-523. According to the Duchossoir book, only 37 were ever made. Between late 1956 to mid 1959.

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 7:31 pm    

Whoa steve, thats really really nice !
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 7:12 am    

I have a couple of the early Console Grande's, the three legged ones with the Charlie Christian pickups.
One is a 7/8 and the other is an 8/8. These had the floppy legs. The legs didn't screw in, they went in and you gave them a slight turn to lock them in. I am changing them to the screw type and Don Helms did the same.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 8:29 am    

Can any of you explain those interesting 4-8-4 pickups?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 8:53 am    

I have what is probably the 1937 prototype. It matches the patent drawings, and is the earliest one I've ever seen. More complex body style than the rectangular, square-cornered ones that were put into production. Gotta get in touch with Gibson to see if they;d be interested in buying and restoring it! I'm too busy with Shobuds right now. I got it in trade for paying a stores gas bill!

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 8:56 am    

I've got an older oval PU style. The "Don Helms" period. They sound different than the P-90 or the later ones.
I have never heard Adams model but those PUs look pretty cool
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 8:58 am    

Those aren't CC pups on mine, btw. They're a style that was introduced in '37.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 9:07 am    

Some of the later models pictured are actually the "Consolette" model.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 9:36 am    

James Mayer wrote:
Can any of you explain those interesting 4-8-4 pickups?

According to the Duchossoir book (page 120), US Patent No. 2,897,709 dated Nov. 7, 1956 filed by Ted McCarty & Seth Lover, dealt with the "4-8-4" pickup. It was originally developed by Gibson to compete with Fender's Stringmaster guitars equipped with double pickups.

The pickup consisted of "three coils wired in series. By alternating the wiring of these three coils and by routing their signal through different capacitors, Seth Lover created four different tone settings - normal, bass, treble, and chime - out of a single pickup. Its "4-8-4" moniker reflected the fact that only the center coil extended under all of the eight strings while the shorter (and thicker) outer coils covered only four strings."
Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 9:40 am     Gibson Console Grande

My baby is a 1949-50 Console grande. Almost like new condition. You can have my wife....kids... home... but not my Grande. Ha... Lee