| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Total knee replacement and PSG
Bill Liscomb

MA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 7:53 am    

Got my second total knee replacement surgery on Aug 25, so it's been 9 days. Hobbled downstairs to the studio to get some stuff and thought, "What the heck" and sat down at the Fessy. Just had the left knee done so I wasn't expecting too much range of motion or strength, but to my surprise had no problem with the pedals and levers! I do have soft foam bicycle grips on the knee levers because the blood thinners from the first surgery gave me bruises. Gonna leave them on for now, as I have 30 staples running down the front of my knee.
The right knee took forever to get enough range of motion to use the volume pedal, like a month, so I am really excited! Anyone else have TKR (total knee replacement) surgery?
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 10:58 am    

I had my right knee done in 2010. I have 95% range of motion. I was militant about rehab (thank you, Medicare!), and I have no problem playing pedal steel (except for my usual boneheadedness).
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 6:24 pm    

Good for you Bill! I've been a licensed Physical Therapist for 28 years and I think playing the pedal steel will be good for your knee.
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 7:17 pm    

I am going to get both knees done in a couple months. Dr. Appt on 9/11 will get things finalized and all questions answered. I doubt he will do both at the same time but stagger them. I know I will play again, it all depends on me. But have been reading posts on this subject. Would love to hear more. Thanks.

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 12:59 am    

I had my right knee done Dec 3,2013. It made a world of difference but it does get stiff when I have been under my guitar for too long. Sometimes I have to kick the volume pedal on and stick my leg out the front of the guitar. It is still better than it was before I had it done. For those putting it off get it done you will feel a lot better.
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 1:41 am     Knee Replacement

I had a knee replacement 2 yrs and 6 months ago and am glad I did. The constant pain was really a bother. I was able to practice my psg in about 4 weeks, 10-15 minutes at a try and I increases it as my knee felt better. I took all the therapy I could get. 10 days right after the hospital in a formal re-hab clinic, 3 times a week at home for 4 weeks, and 6 weeks of therapy at a formal out-patient therapy clinic. I still do most of the exercises 3-4 times a week. I do hope I don't have to have the other knee done, because there is quite a bit of discomfort getting back on our feet. Would I do it again....YOU BET.... a lot less pain...jr (my secret is exercise, exercise, and maybe a little more exercise)
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 6:29 pm    

If I ever need knee replacements, I'd lean toward getting both done at once. Even though post-op pain management has gotten a lot better, for some people the initial pain is still significant. If I had one done, I might chicken out and not go back for the second. Once your pain level is a 10 on a scale of 1-10, what's the difference if it's both? However, I know that some people can't safely be kept under anesthesia long enough to do both, so they must do one at a time. Also, initially it is harder to move around when you do both at once. Not an easy decision, and a lot of us will be faced with it someday.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 8:30 pm    

Thank's for telling your stories about these physical challenges due to age. We'll all eventually meet these points and face them head on.Your stories and accounts have been helpfull and above all;positive
Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 9:18 pm    

I had my right knee replaced in 2007 recovered very quickly only had two PT visits that's all it took. The only problem I had was the RKR on an Emmons touched right in the place that hurt the most. That's when I met forum member Dick Sexton on line and he made me a paddle that fits exactly where the aluminum angle on the RKR is on an Emmons and it works great. It distributes the pressure evenly against the joint and I don't feel any pain at all. Dick if you are still out there I just want to thank you again and the paddle still works like you intended. Best regards, Fred
Don McGregor

Memphis, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 9:00 am    

I had my right knee replaced mid November 2013, and the left mid February, 2014. I, too, wanted both done at once, but was talked out of it. I'm glad. A lot can go wrong during the surgery, and during the healing process. If it does, you may literally not have a leg to stand on, much less play pedal steel again.
Thanks to a good Doctor and medical staff, and rehab team, both of my knee replacements went well. I wasn't off the pedals nearly as long as thought I would be. My left knee up lever does still rub a tender spot on the upper part of the scar, and I am going to look into the soft foam handlebar grips Bill Liscomb mentioned above for it.
After just these few months, I can already tell that my playing is back to being just as amazingly mediocre as it was before the surgeries.