| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speedy West Marlen for Rick McDuffie
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 10:27 am    

Ok Rick; get ready to open your eyes now!!!!ah..ha
This 1971 "Speedy West" Marlen was absolutly trashed(you can email me for before pics..ha)...;every part coated and rusted..yuk!!. So I took everything off the body and sent it to Ray Walker...and Ray did a Total Refinish on the body of this Marlen. It is Birdsye Maple top with real cocabola Aprons w/Wood inlay. We had metal plates made that go behind the fingers to line the cut out, that say "Speedy" on one neck and "West" on the other.
This is a single finger pull-release system and it sounds "Out of this World".
Ok Rick Uncover your eyes now; here it is.

After I finish totally tweeking out the system underneath and clean up all the hair I pull out of my head in the process...I'll snap a shot of the underneath; which will be mind boggleing for you mechanics and defeats all rationality in how a pedal steel should work and will play to perfection for the remaining of its years..ah...ha.
Thanks Ray Walker for an Awesome wood work refinish....and thanks Lenny Stadler for the support and parts...and thanks Rick McDuffie for trusting me to this re-birth of a classic and Leonard is certainly smiling down on all of us for this one.
Ricky
Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 10:38 am    

Man, Ricky, you really nailed it on that one... I'm almost ready to ship back my Marlen to you to have it refinished! Beautiful guitar and I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks! Great work brother.

[This message was edited by Joe A. Camacho on 31 January 2004 at 10:38 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 10:56 am    

Outstanding !
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 10:56 am    

I'm speechless.

There was a thread up not long ago on "the definition of restoration".

THIS, my friends, is the definition of restoration.

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 31 January 2004 at 05:05 PM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 12:38 pm    

GAWJIS!!!!!!!
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 1:20 pm    

What a beauty!

------------------
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 1:53 pm    

OK, Ricky, you can stop now. I mean, EVERY old Sho-Bud or Marlen you re-do, and put up pictures of, looks better than the last! You're HURTING me, man!!
Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 4:49 am    

I can't wait to play her! Is that some beautiful birdseye, or what?

In my opinion, nobody has ever built a finer, more beautiful guitar than these Marlens- and it's wonderful to see this one live again.

Thanks Ray, Lenny and Ricky for making this a labor of love. You guys are the best.

GO PANTHERS!
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 3:03 pm    

Ricky, I can't hardly take it nomoe!!! I want one!!HA!! You guys did it again--good job man!!

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 01 February 2004 at 03:06 PM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 4:09 pm    

Ricky....you're cruel.....but in a good way
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 9:10 pm    

Thanks guys; and On behalf of Ray Walker and Lenny Stadler....we all thank you for the kind words...as it takes a neighborhood to bring up a Child...ha.
This is the second best pedal steel I've ever heard...Oh MY GOSH...and James I believe you have the first, in my book and it is truly the ("Spirit Steel">Marlen). But this particular Marlen "Speedy West Custom" is very VERY similar to the sound of the Spirit steel...and there has only been 3 steels in my Office/work area that have lite up the room when strummed accoustically and this is one of them>"BIG TIME"!!!!
I know it is kinda cruel to put these pictures up of the absolutly beautiful steels.....but do you know what is MORE Cruel????? >yep you guessed it.....>"Sending them away from my House"...ha.
I love each and every one of these steels I work on...as they really do become part of me....>WE laugh; We cry; We scream and We rejoice together, through the whole process ....>then they fly from the nest....
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 01 February 2004 at 09:14 PM.]

Don Lail

RUTHERFORDTON, NC., USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 11:37 pm    

Beautiful Work Ricky and Ray,

I just want to say that In my opinion, Mr. Stadler built the most beautiful steel guitar cabinets that have ever been produced and the mechanics of his guitars were first rate for their day.

In 1969 my Dad traded a D-10 pull-release Marlen that he had bought used to Leonard for a new D-10 pull-release. It had rosewood decks and birds eye maple aprons and necks. I recall that it had 1/4 inch aluminum pedal connector rods and snap ring retainers on the connectors at the pedals, had wide pedals similar to a Sho-Bud of that era.

About the only things on it that appeared to have been mass produced were the changer fingers, the bell cranks and the pull rod connectors. Every thing else looked to have been machined and fitted one piece at a time.

I went by Mr. Stadler's shop just a few months before he passed away and he just happened to be there on a day when he ordinarily wouldn't have been. I don't believe I ever met a more warm and gracious gentleman than he was.

It's great that you have the knowledge, skills and the desire to restore his instruments to their original beauty and playability.

[This message was edited by Don Lail on 02 February 2004 at 07:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Don Lail on 02 February 2004 at 08:00 AM.]

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 5:03 am    

Ricky Davis.....what in the world can I say brother. Like everyone else I have been waiting to see this baby sitting up on her own. Folks I had that child with me in my shop for a while I gotta tell you there were a few times when I thought even surgery wasn't going to do much for her. But when I removed her necks and saw the hand written notes I could almost hear Leonard Stadler saying "she's worth everything you can give her". And no matter how hard I worked on it...or how pretty that finish was coming along...there's just no way you can see in your mind what happens to em till Ricky takes that babe into his arms and breathes that miracle into her. Ricky Davis....you make me proud brother...Rick McDuffie....I know I speak for Ricky when I say I am truly sorry from the bottom of my heart for witholding this angel from you until she was finished .......NOT!!!! : Seriously, I know what this guitar means to you and I knew you would be as happy as me when the pictures came out. Best of all you get to lay hands upon her soon...you are a very fotunate man. And Rick you are a very good man and you deserve her. Now just how do you plan to play her with "gloves" on cause I just know there ain't gonna ever be a finger print on her
Well folks there she is. Any questions about the great Ricky Davis????

Ricky, thank you for allowing me to be a small part of this project with you.

Ray

[This message was edited by Ray Walker on 02 February 2004 at 05:05 AM.]

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 1:10 pm    

ricky, you keep this up and you'll have a reputation.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 10:37 pm    

Don; what a cool story and I'll have to agree that Leonard was one of the kindest Gentleman I've ever met.
He did take great care in the beauty of these fine instruments.
Ray; I'm proud of you too pal...You really put the inspiration in this classic Marlen Speedy West Custom.
I've been playing this Awesome Steel now for a few hours almost non-stop(after McDuffie called and I played for him over the phone..ha)....and I had to pry myself up to come in here and start on the next one...."This is the second finest steel guitar I've ever heard>EVER"...Wow..it just has this transparent glow to it's sound that only 1 in a thousand guitars have> too cool.
Ok the UNDERSIDE....>Any questions???>"yeah right" ha....where would I begin??ha....Well I'll just say this....>>this is old school mechanics made to play Modern in its original form(Leonard can you see this?? Look Dad; no Hands....)

Ricky
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 5:32 am    

Awwww come on Ricky I can't stand it anymore I wanna touch it now. I have handprints all over my computer screen...Rick McDuffie shouldn't get all the good ones...all he wants to do is playem and show em off...if you send it back here I will love her cuddle and hold her for hours at a time and I will wear gloves while I'm playin her.....PLEASE don't take my baby!!!! .

I'm sorry Rick...I just lost my head for a second

Seriously folks...there's no one on the planet that loves and respects Leonard Stadler's work more than Ricky Davis and it shows with every Marlen project that he takes on. I promise you Ricky....Leonard is smiling down upon you my friend.

Ray
Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2004 6:39 am    

Ray-

Step away from the steel

Since I'm so excited, Ricky played this guitar for me on the phone the other night... tributes to Lloyd (Farewell Party) and Buddy (Night Life). Killer. He's a great player, but the guitar sounds MAHVELOUS! I should have it back here in the Tarheel State on Monday or Tuesday and AH JES' CAIN'T WAIT.

Now, my next goal is to learn to play it as well as Ricky does. Better start practicing 5-6 hours a day NOW

Rick