| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping boxes
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 8:30 am    

Trying to locate a source for heavy grade boxes suitable for shipping steel guitars. Have tried all of the shipping stores including Fedex and UPS, nothing available that will work without modification (and considering the present shipping rates, DO NOT want to use a larger box than necessary!) Was hoping that Forum members who operate steel shops or routinely ship guitars could be of help...Thank you.
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 8:48 am     Boxes

Try your local music store. They dispose of heavy cardboard from keyboards and other instuments and would likely save something for you that you could use.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 8:59 am    

I have shipped many guitars, amps etc. over the years using U-Haul Boxes. The D-10 and SD-10 will fit in a Flat Wardrobe Box with enough room to use 3/4" styrofoam (cut to fit) around your guitar for added protection. They have a BIG assortment of boxes to choose from. Not every small town has a U-Haul Store but check around and you will find one close by.
Here is a box that I have used to ship D-10 and SD-10 guitars in with out any problems.
Hope this helps David.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Clothing-moving-boxes/Laydown-Wardrobe-Box?id=8728
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 12:51 pm    

George and Roger, thank you so much for the replies. George: Have not had much success with either the local Guitar Center or Sam Ash, they seem to have a policy of flattening the boxes and placing them in a compactor immediately after unpacking the items...Roger: Had not thought of U-Haul, the box in the link appears perfect for the job at hand..Thanks again.
Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 1:02 pm    

Try bicycle shops. I shipped a Zum in a bike box with extra padding. Arrived safely.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 1:12 pm    

David, don't forget internal bracing.
FXG is currently experimenting with ways of reducing the risks of dropping off carts, but right now there's a nearly 50% chance of any of the big three letting it drop about 2 feet to concrete. If you brace adequately, you can manage the results...
Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 4:15 pm    

Just shipped a D10 last week using 2 large Home Depot moving boxes & sheets of 3/4" styrofoam (also from Home Depot). I used the directions from Greg Cutshaw's site. Creating a styrofoam sarcophagus was a bit of work, but better safe than sorry. You'll find horror stories here.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 5:04 pm    

Normally purchase the 2" sheets of blue styrofoam insulation from Lowe's to line the box and after shipping several guitars over the years, have fortunately experienced no damage due to shipping. My problem has routinely been locating boxes the correct dimensions to accomodate the guitar case and the foam padding without being overly large and increasing the shipping costs. Shipped a banjo to N.D. the other day to the tune of $80.00, so cannot imagine what shipping a steel guitar presently costs!...Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 5:14 pm     Make Your Own

David I make my own shipping box for PSG.
You can buy 4ft. x 8ft. sheets of shipping grade cardboard from your local cardboard distributor and simply cut it to fit.
I have a 2" x 5ft straight edge I use to make all the breaks, they come out real nice.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 8:48 pm    

you can use any cardboard you want, if they drop it off the truck, it will get damaged... I always leave the handle sticking out of the box, that makes it easier to handle guitar, and so far I never had a problem...

db

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 12:13 am    

Exactly. If you leave a handle exposed for the handlers, the odds of a damage-free delivery are better.

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 3:47 am    

Lane,

Would you care to offer an opinion on leaving a handle exposed ??

I'm always afraid it will get caught on something in the process.

As a carrier and handler of packages how do you see that ??
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:00 am    

I will ask someone who works at a sorting hub, but since steels and amps don't ride the belts, the handles can't snag on belt rails.
I think it's better to expose handles on ICs. I'll post Jari's reply.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:34 am    

I get double wall sheets of cardboard and just crease it around a straight edge and pound the seam with a hammer and it looks like a factory box. You can make a steel box in two pieces. If you have a large format printer there is software that will trace out the shapes for you using your desired dimensions. Seriously in one hour you can make and awesome box within a box ending up with 4 total layers of cardboard.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Shipping%20Steels/Shipping%20Steels.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 5:24 am    

Had not considered fabricating the boxes myself, great suggestion!...I totally agree in regard to leaving the handles exposed and originally shipped all guitars that way until on one trip to Fedex was informed by the manager that due to company policy, it would need to be covered before shipping. May try leaving the handle exposed in the future to determine if that is indeed a hard and fast rule...Thanks again everyone, all suggestions are much appreciated.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 6:02 am    

I build "end caps" out of 1/2" Styrofoam sheet first, come down 6"-8" on the case,,,then cover those with cardboard,,,that makes the ends encased and padded. Then I "wrap" the case (no bulky end folds since the ends are already "wrapped"), using the direction of the corrugation to bend the edges straight. (of course this is AFTER the guitar is made IMMOVEABLE inside the case). I use tape that has string running both ways through it,,,the expensive kind!!! Sometimes I even use elmers glue to secure loose flaps or whatever. Never had a problem,(knock on wood), buyers always comment on how well it is packaged. I see it as a challenge,,,,can I package it in such a way that a shipper can't damage it, short of running over it with a truck,,,LOL!!! So far I'm the winner. On the other hand, I have received things shipped from sellers that may as well have been placed in a paper sack,,,,a miracle that it survived!!!!,,,those are the people that "cry and moan",,,,,"oh, UPS,,or Fedex,,,or whoever damaged my guitar",,,,
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 6:02 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
you can use any cardboard you want, if they drop it off the truck, it will get damaged..

Damir, I beg to differ. With adequate bracing and cushioning, you can protect any package against any likely harm. I could ship an egg and a cinderblock together if I had to.
THAT'S why I keep telling.g y'all about the up to 50% chance of a 2 foot drop to concrete. Brace the guitar, cushion the case.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 7:24 am    

Any local appliance store that offers setup and delivery, usually has a nice stash of large cardboard. The "big box" Wink stores (Lowes/Home Depot) compact their boxes too frequently to catch a large box.

If you're handy with box knife, glue gun, styrofoam, and strapping tape, you can fabricate a pretty nice box.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 8:50 am    

Kevin Raymer wrote:
Lane,

Would you care to offer an opinion on leaving a handle exposed ??

I'm always afraid it will get caught on something in the process.

As a carrier and handler of packages how do you see that ??

I don't handle or touch packages unless something goes wrong.
A supervisor at one of our bigger hubs says if you have hard leather suitcase style handles, hide them, they're fragile. If your case has the self-stowing rubber straps, expose them, please. He used to be a sorter/ loader.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 10:21 am    

If you have a UPS Mailbox store near you the have heavy duty guitar boxes. Ask for a guitar box. They ain't cheap.
Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 9:32 pm    

I have fabbed pedal steel boxes from a pair of guitar boxes.

If you are buds with a local guitar store they will often give you a box or two.

If not they'll prolly charge 5-10 bucks per box.

Guitar sized boxes off eBay will run $15 per after shipping if you buy a 5 pack, $26 if you buy them individually.

Sad
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 9:41 pm    

Go to your local furniture store get a free big box and modify it and leave room for the UPS store to pack and tape it and they can't say it wasn't properly packaged. The box is the expensive part of the packaging at the UPS store.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 2:33 am    

Stuart, the UPS store/Fedex Kinkos is generally unaware of the hazards the carts.
While using them for packing may streamline claims, it doesn't do much to prevent them.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 9:33 am    

Perhaps OT, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but depending on the from-to you could also list for uShip to have someone going to the destination to pick it up from you and taking it in their van/truck. These people are usually honest and the system is a bid to who offers the lowest price on your item and its destination.

You become a member of uShip and then a network of mom and pop shippers move most anything. I moved a Leslie speaker from Florida to New Jersey from my present location, didn't need to pack anything or pay for a box, they provided a packing blanket. It arrived safely at its destination, the shipper even took photos for me after he and his wife had delivered it.

You list the item and the locations on uShip and shippers will find you to offer their services and you usually get several bidding for your item. Again depending on where you are and if someone is going your way. They will usually sleigh-load like Santa other items for the same area so your item may be one of a small list.

Here is the Leslie organ speaker in Florida after contracted accepted on uShip.

Here it is at its destination in New Jersey, a few days later as my tech moves it from shipper's van.
Shipper took both photos and emailed them to me.

As you can see the speaker is fragile real wood veneer that contains two speakers, 4 motors and a 40 watt tube amp.

A possible next time option as your item is "hand carried" by someone who will look after it better than the usual conveyor belt alternative as if you took it there yourself.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:36 pm    

DOG COLLAR!
I shipped my '63 Fingertip S-10 to James Morehaed. He suggested I leave the handle available to to shipping handlers. Although the case and handle are in great shape, I was leery about letting them use a 50 year old handle. James came up with the perfect substitute! An inexpensive nylon dog collar. I just hooked it to the rings on the case, and tucked away the original handle. You can see the box is the one I got with my new tv. Double thick, and strong. Had to cut it shorter, but no big deal. It's lined with 3/4" foam from Lowe's. I only use fiberglass strand tape. It's really strong!