| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  finding an amp tech
Jerry Harvey

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 12:05 pm    

why is it so hard to find someone to work on a boutique or webb amp. makes you want to go back to a fenda or peavey amp. we have been left hanging by tom bradshaw, Darrell stephens, and jim evans.we need to stop this nonsense. please respond.
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 2:18 pm    

Jerry, in reality, it may have been Tom that was "left hanging".
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 2:22 pm    

If you can provide the documentation, most qualified electronics amp techs should have no problem with those amps. They are pretty straightforward. But on an unfamiliar amp, many techs are afraid to go in blind without a schematic.

B
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 11:04 am    

What is a boutique Amp? I've heard that term before
on the forum. T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 11:53 am    

Brad Sarno wrote:
If you can provide the documentation, most qualified electronics amp techs should have no problem with those amps. They are pretty straightforward. But on an unfamiliar amp, many techs are afraid to go in blind without a schematic.

B

As long as they didn't goop the circuitry (a la Howard Dumble). I doubt Webb would do that.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 12:01 pm    

Lee, "boutique" means expensive, usually hand built. The cutoff in many people's minds is usually about a grand, although it will probably have to climb a bit due to inflation.

The number of boutique amps currently marketed at steel players is startling, with Walker, Telonics and Quuilter doing transistors, and Sarno, Milkman and Little Walter (OK, LW markets to everybody) doing tubes. I think there's some others. Webb certainly qualified as boutique.

Jerry, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Brad's got a point. Last I heard, Webb schematics were hard to find, and unless the problem easy to spot, like something burnt, nthey're kinda important
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 12:11 pm     Finding a tech

I had no problem finding a tech to work on my WEBB. I don't understand your " left hanging " remark . Are you implying some sort of negligence or wrong doing on the part of the gentlemen you name ? Are you suggesting they are responsible for some sort of nonsense? I must be reading it wrong.

Help me out here , I'm only trying to understand what you're stating, with no offense intended.
Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 1:02 pm    

Don't blame any single person for the lack of good techs

Blame the culture of inexpensive amps sold to the mainstream. Most "boutique" amps (not always the most expensive option mind you) are easier to repair without a schematic than their mainstream counterparts.

It's easier to replace a cheap amp than it is to fix it - this puts the qualified techs out of business. If you want to support a culture of repairable amps - support the small builders who make em easy to fix!

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 2:33 pm     Webb amp problem

Jerry: If your amp is an older model (built from 1975 to 1984), and you need the schematics for it, I give them to anyone who needs them. If your amp was built from 1995 to the end of the last production run (in about 2006), I'll sell them to you. When you see the package of schematics I had to pay to have made up for that amp model, you will understand why I have to charge ($22.00) for them. Let me know (tommybradshaw@gmail.com).
I can't recall leaving anyone "hanging"Rolling Eyes.

My best to you. ...Tom
P.S.: The older model of Webb is distinguished by having its chassis held to its cabinet by 2 screws on each end of the face plate. The later model had the chassis held by 4 screw through the top of the cabinet.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 3:16 pm    

Thanks Lane. I Didn't mean to change the topic. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,