| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans FET 500 Custom LV
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 3:21 pm    

Just recently picked up an Evans FET 500 Custom LV off Craigs List at a very good price. Nice shape except someone added a second baffle with an 80 watt Eminence 12" speaker - it's supposed to be a 15" and the original baffle is still there. It appears to be the large cabinet. I was an Evans dealer in the early 80's and seem to remember them being made in Texarkana but this one is marked "Nash., TX" - anybody know about this? Serial number is 838X which I presume is an '83 model from what I've read. The amp sounds GREAT even with the lightweight 12 - I played it at our local steel club meeting the other night and never got above about 1-1/2 on the dial - the sucker is loud! Any thought on what these might be worth as I might decide to sell it as it's heavy and I'm used to my MB200 and Sica neo speaker.

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 6:58 am    

Anybody?

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 1:41 pm    

Most of the 83 models were made by Stevens in Texarkana. I have an 83 Evans 500 FET LV and it came eqpt with a JBL 15" 4 ohm but I replaced the speaker later with a 1975 custom made JBL and had Woody rework it to the standards of a JBL K130 4 ohm and sounds great, but I cannot conceive why anyone would want to put a 12" speaker in an amp built for steel like the Evans amps. I have two Evans the other one is a 99 SE200 and I put the same speaker in it as I did my 83 Evans and works great. I use two amps basically the extra as a slave amp on the other side of the stage for others to hear me better. I don't play loud, I just mic it through the PA. Incidently my FET 500 still outperforms the SE200, go figure.

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 2:36 pm    

Thanks for the answer, Robbie. I just pulled the 12 out of it - it's some kind of generic 80 watt, 8 ohm thing. The guy I got it from is a jazz guitar player and said it was this way when he got it. The original baffle is still in place and just needs the correct speaker. Everything else is in good shape but the label still intrigues me - it's marked '512 Bentley, Nash., TX' and, as I mentioned, the SN is 838x. The serial number and fuse ID are marked with one of those vibratory engraver machines.

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 5:29 pm    

Skip,

I have a Evans FET 500 LV built in 1983 by Daryl Stephens in Nash, TX also.

FYI: Nash, TX is just outside Texarkana.

Mine is still working beautifully!

Cheers!!
Benton
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 5:33 pm    

Thanks Benton! They are, indeed, great amps. This one works like brand new. The former owner said he had the outputs replaced about 3 years ago. Hope I can find a 15 to put in it.

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 2:47 am    

Skip...I "did" have one and like a fool sold it Confused
I had it converted to a head and seperate speaker cabinet. It was the smaller cabinet but had a 15" Eminence "Eclipse" speaker. The J.B.L's that were used by special order used to blow, so the Eminence was the replacement...they were great speakers. See if you can get one of those speakers Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.