| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What model George L PU for 8 string Lap Steel?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 3:58 pm    

Going to change strings on an 8 string lap steel so I thought I would try a new pickup. What model George L would you recommend?
Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 6:44 pm    

http://www.georgelsstore.com/pickups.html
The 10-5 with switch is no longer available. I've sold more custom lap steels with the SS-10 than any other George L pickup but the E-66 and 10-1 are also popular.
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 1:33 am    

@ Robert

I could use your advice and experience!

I am after a PSG tone and considering converting an old Framus 8 string which has a very thin-sounding p-up.

Do you know if the George L's are the same size?

Also, on a non PSG, where in your experience would you say is an optimal position to mount the p-up to get a PSG-like tone. Obviously different scale lengths make this impossible to answer in inches /mm but perhaps you can quote a virtual fret?

\ paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 6:52 am    

I have E-66's that came with my Remington D-8 Steelmaster and they sound great to my ears - a very full and robust tone with fat harmonics and dead quiet (nice for recording). I also have a George L on my Carter U12 PSG which is placed fairly close to the bridge, unlike the Remington which has 2 inches of space between the bridge and the edge of the pickup(s).

The two guitars sound very different - construction materials, scale length, pickup placement, and the overall construction simplicity of the non-pedal vs. the complexity of the pedal steel no doubt contribute greatly to the differences in tone that I hear.

I mention this because results with a given pickup on a pedal steel may not be the same as when used on a non-pedal steel.

My assumption is that you can't really go wrong with any George L pickup...you would probably have to do careful A-B testing to detect any subtle differences and then decide which pickup you prefer, taking into account the type of music you play and the amplifier you use.

Last edited by Frank Welsh on 24 Aug 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 5:53 am    

I ordered a George L EON 10 string pickup as that is what is used in 8 string lap steels. Should be interesting.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 4:43 pm    

Hi Len I had a E-66 on My Emonns pedal Steel and it had some great sustain and sound.I think that is what is on my lap Steel I'm not sure thou.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:39 am    

My Sierra S8 came with a George L 10-1 installed. Worked fine, but I eventually replaced it with one of Rick Aiello's "Dining Car" pickups.

It's posted for sale in the "Amps and Accessories" section of the Forum.