| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Telonics Combo Amp!
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 6:34 am    

I very recently received my new Telonics TCA-500 combo amp, with the 15" speaker. I chose not to get the effects installed, knowing I was going to use my Lexicon MPX-1.

All I can say is that this is one of the finest amps I've ever owned, and without question the most powerful. It really makes my steel come alive, and works great for my jazz guitar and my Tele as well.

It weighs about 40 lbs with the 15", which is perfectly acceptable to me.

Yes, it's expensive. However, as a professional musician, I prefer to use the best gear I can possibly afford, and the TCA-500 is worth every penny.

An amazing amp, indeed! Thank you to the whole Telonics crew - good work!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 3:39 am    

+1 here. Just 3 words to describe this amp. A - MAZ - ING! Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 3:27 pm    

Yes Chris I must agree with Ken, I've had mine since the Dallas show in march - primarily for flying gigs, and it is just outstanding. so far I have been using it just with the onboard digital reverb which has been great. I plan to add a Lex MX300 to it as soon as i can track down another unit - I use that in my Telonics rack as well.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Lynn Gray

Missouri by way of Virginia, a little Tennessee and with deep Texas roots, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 4:18 pm    

What seems to be the average cost of these amps? With the effects package as well?

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 5:01 pm    

Mine was a little over 2k, with a cover, a 15", and no electronics
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 10:42 am    

I put the T C Electronics G-Force in my amp, and it sounds pretty good as a partnership to my ears. My friend came round to my studio today to have a look/listen to the Telonics amp and he was blown away with it.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 12:39 pm    

Just recorded the amp with a bit of C6 on my Show Pro to demonstrate its clarity and depth.

http://picosong.com/czK5/
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:43 am    

Sounds great, Ken!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:47 am    

Thank you Chris.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:56 am    

That was great Ken. What settings did you use for that recording? Maybe a quick pic would be easier?
Thanks
Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 4:51 pm    

I was at a steel guitar show this past Sunday and one of the players there had a new Telonics TCA-500 combo amp with the 15"speaker and was having a lot of trouble getting the tone they wanted. Could someone list the settings they use?

cell # 812-603-1612
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 11:45 pm    

Niels & Garry - here's a couple of pics of my settings on the amp. However, my set up is for my preference and my guitar & pickups. The handbook/manual that comes with the TCA-500 is a great reference point to the initial setup. Once the tone is just about there, the blend control can be used to make the tone darker or brighter to taste.

Last edited by Ken Byng on 21 Aug 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 9:36 am    

Very Happy
Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 10:59 am    

Thanks Ken

cell # 812-603-1612
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 2:29 pm    

Love your tone Ken. May I inquire as to what pickup you used for this recording?
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 10:33 pm    

Of course Darrell. I have Lawrence 710 pickups in my Show Pro, but I also like the Lawrence 705 as much. Very Happy
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 4:52 am    

I like the sound Ken. I just noticed that you have a lot more bass dialed in than I am used to seeing. I am amazed how sensitive the blend function is, it really works well. I love my amp I have no idea how it possibly could be improved. Thank You for the picture.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 5:09 am    

Niels
The bass setting on my amp is geared towards the E9 tuning, but I am happy with how it turned out for the C neck.

I like a big bass end as I have got used to that sound with my Webb amp. The Telonics TCA-500 has taken steel amps to a completely new level.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 4:32 am    

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the resonator simulator built into this amp. A simple push button on the front panel gives a very authentic resonator sound that may need just a small tweak of the 'Blend' control.

I have a Match Bro unit that I have never been able to replicate anything resembling a resonator guitar through my Webb amp. Telonics have cracked that one with the TCA-500, and you can buy a remote switch that clips onto the leg of the steel guitar to switch the reso sim in and out. They also provide a plastic bar specifically for use with this effect.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:53 am    

Search youtube videos for any featuring the 'Herb Steiner Band' live at the Austin City Coop and you will get to hear the Telonics amp in action. Very impressive tone (and playing as well!), bravo Herb.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 5:38 am    

Yes I have seen that clip - excellent playing and sound.