| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to set proper Knee lever spacing
Tom Althoff

Greenwood Lake, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 5:33 am    

I've got skinny legs and have a gap of about 1 to 1-1/2 inches between my leg when it touches the left knee lever and the right knee lever. This allows me to fidget with the pedals without disturbing either knee lever.

But if I were to make a move from LKL to LKR on the same string there is a disruption as my knee moves in between the gap of the pedals.

How do you set your knee levers? Close and nearly snug so that any movement left to right is a smooth transition or loosey-goosey so you can wiggle around more without affecting a knee lever?

I've searched the posts here and the only mention I've seen is "6 to 8 inches apart" and "whatever is comfortable".

[This message was edited by Tom Althoff on 28 January 2004 at 05:37 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 7:46 am    

Tom,
I set mine just so I can feel them touch my pant's leg when I play. Not too tight, not too loose.
Erv

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 28 January 2004 at 07:46 AM.]

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 8:38 am    

Depends on which knee. I like my right knee levers touching my leg, but then I never take my foot off the volume pedal. Someone who pedals with the right foot might need some space between the knee and RKL. On the left knee, you gotta have space between the levers to rock the AB and BC pedals. Placement of the levers can get you in the right ball park, but then it seems like there has to be fine adjustment to fit each player. I don't see how there could be a single "right" spacing.
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 10:05 am    

If you're talking about making a smooth transition from F to Eb or vice versa using the LKL and LKR, I think this is why some people put those changes on separate knee levers.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 12:49 pm    

At one time I had my guitar set up with maximum efficiency--just think left and LKL lever is engaged. Think right and LKR is engaged. But one day I was chasing down a tuning problem and realized that I was sometimes leaning into a lever, like 2%, without realizing it. I now have enough space between levers that I can comfortably have zero leg contact yet I can get there in a flash. I do not keep either leg in contact with any lever.
Mark is right that putting the E & F levers on different legs helps make a smooth transition from Eb>F.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 12:55 pm    

If you wear boots when you play, you need your knee levers spaced farther apart. If you wear low shoes, you have more movement in your ankles so you can eliminate some of the slop in the levers. If you don't believe me, try it!
Erv
Tom Althoff

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 6:08 pm    

Funny you should mention that Erv. I'm wearing very flexible Rockport shoes..too flexible maybe. I was thinking about going to a boot to get better double pedal firmess in the sole. I won't mess with my knee lever spacing until I try it in boots...I may need the extra space I have there now.

Thanks!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 7:46 am    

Tom,
Some of the guys talk about playing in their stocking feet but I couldn't do that. I like to wear a moccasin type shoe. This gives me the firmness I need in the sole but still have the ankle frexibility.
Erv
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 12:04 pm    

Tom,

I just want to say thanks for the post. I've been dealing with the knee levers on my new GFI being too close together. Along with rocking on the pedals being an issue sometimes, I was having tuning problems sometimes because I'd be touching levers by accident, both things mentioned by others in responses to your post. Being a new player I didn't realize they are so easy to adjust. I reread some of the material that came with the guitar and have everything adjust pretty nice now.

Thanks to everyone for getting me thinking about this.

Bob P.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 1:58 pm    

With your leg just touching the LKL, there should only be about an inch gap between your leg, and the LKR. This allows a little movement, and a pretty smooth transition, which only you will notice. Some players will (unconsciously) "stop" in between, thinking "LKL-center-LKR", and that can make it worse. Make sure you're not doing that!
Tom Althoff

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 3:26 pm    

Erv - My feet hurt trying to hold down 2 pedals in stocking feet! But some guys kick field goals barefoot so I suppose I'm just a foot wuss!

Rob - I too am a beginner. One thing I didn't think about was that just moving the lever a hair affects the tuning on that lever.

Donnie - Thinking always gets me in trouble. Especially if I try to dance with my wife..one..two...three...step on her toes...one to three..step on her toes.

I'm going to add some padding to the hard aluminum levers...they'll feel better and take up a little of the extra play. I'll end up with about a 1" gap which I think will work out ok.

Thank you all for the feedback!

[This message was edited by Tom Althoff on 29 January 2004 at 03:28 PM.]

Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 6:20 pm    

Tom,

I have no idea how other PSG's are set up, but on my GFI, there was just a little allen set screw that I had to turn and as it came out a little, the knee lever picked up slack in the direction I needed it to get out of the way. The tuning or stop points or whatever did not seem to be affected by it, so I'm a happy camper.

Bob P.