| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National D-8
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 4:21 am    

I just received a National D-8 steel guitar with art-deco see through plastic fret boards on it. Does anyone know when these were made, or what they are worth?

Thanks in advance.
Steve G

San Leandro, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 6:43 am    

I have one. According to the serial number it is a 1948. I don't know the range of years they were made.

Steve G
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 7:16 am    

Danny,

I'd say somewhere between $350 to $550, depending upon condition. An original case and legs would be a plus. Nationals were a low-end instrument when they were made, but nowadays they're gaining popularity because of their beautiful designs. The most sought after ones would have all original parts and would be in good working order, clean and unaltered.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 8:39 am    

I know this isn't Buy & Sell but I have the old stand my Dad used on his double neck National before he put legs on it. I have no idea if it is original to National steels or not, but if someone is interested just drop me an E-Mail at LSMS83@HOME.COM

[This message was edited by Mike Spaeth on 11 January 2001 at 09:05 AM.]

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 2:48 pm    

I bought a used one in the early 60s that was early 50s vintage.
Bill Sheldon

Penticton, B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 10:09 pm    

Danny Hullihen

I have a double-neck 8 National which I bought new Mar.53-paid $350 Canadian.I still
use this guitar as it sounds great.I play Jerry Byrd style.A steel guitar outlet appraised it at $550-600 US.
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 3:37 am    

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I will try to upload a picture of this guitar for you as soon as I can.

Doug. This guitar has it's original case, unfortunately, the legs are missing, as is the mounting that was used to fasten them. It looks like there are four screw holes for each leg mounting unit. In the case I found some really old finger picks and thumb picks, and a few other goodies the guy had with this guitar. I'll get the serial number for this guitar and post it here later.

Thanks again for all of your help on this.
Danny

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 12 January 2001 at 03:43 AM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 8:00 pm    

Danny, I had a National New Yorker back around 1938. It was sleek looking Black and white modern looking thing. I loved it. Played in a lot of bars with it in Cleveland, Ohio.....al
Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 9:04 pm    

I paid $250 cdn for my D8 new in Toronto in 48. I also had one of those New Yorkers Al. Did a lot of gigs with it until I bought the D8 then I played that until I bought my Fender triple custom. .. Billy
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 6:08 am    

The guitar I have is sort of a cream color, much like the old Fenders. It has see-through plastic fret boards, and they are decorated in different colors. Unfortunately, I didn't get any legs with this one, so for now I put it on a key board stand that works pretty good. I hope I can find legs for this guitar somewhere, but I think that's going to be difficult. I'll probably have to manufacturer something myself for it.

In any event, I'll try to post some pictures of it here soon.

Thanks guys. Your infor is much appreciated.
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 10:01 am    

It sounds like a National Grand Console. I have one of those. I was told that they didn't have legs, and I do have an old photo somewhere of Bobby Koefer playing one propped on a table (The guitar not Bobby). Mine has mountings for legs, but they look like someone added them. I never play it anymore, but it was my first steel, so I have kind of a sentimental attachment to it.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 6:46 pm    

Folks, I have seen this D-8 National of Danny's and it is a beautiful art-deco guitar in excellent condition. The metalwork is still nice and shiny. It's been played but not abused in any way. String spacing is fairly narrow, about like an Emmons pedal steel. It has these clear removable plastic covers over the pickups which also cover the bridge. A person who wanted to do any serious right-hand blocking would need to remove the covers before playing. I'll bet it has beautiful tone. To me it would be worth making a new set of mic-stand legs for if necessary, it's that beautiful. Danny, have you had the chance to fire it up yet?

Tim R.
Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 8:53 pm    

Danny, my early 50s vintage had metal sockets and four legs. I presently have the triple-neck version from the same era. It has the sockets also and they take a standard 1/2" thread which is the most common stud and thread on guitars today. I believe Ed Naylor has the sockets and also replaceable legs.
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 3:32 am    

Hi Guys, thanks agagin for all of your assistance on this. Tim, yes, I fired it up yesterday for a while, and this guitar sounds as good as it looks! I was going to consider selling this one, but now I'm not too sure I want too. I've never played a lap steel before, and I'm having a blast with it working out some songs on it.

As promised, the picture

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 18 January 2001 at 07:30 PM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2001 5:37 am    

Fred, do you happen to know of anyone else that might have legs for this other than the person mentioned?

Thanks.