| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which steel guitar should stay HOME??
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 4:46 am    

I am getting a brand new Carter and keeping my beat up old MSA... I am wondering if I should keep the MSA in the band trailer as I have done for many many years and use it on gigs,or should I leave the brand new Carter there as my gig axe?. I hate to relegate a BRAND new steel to spending most of its time unplayed.. sitting in an old 12' trailer packed among the filthy,dusty sound system ,battered old stage amps, and smoke saturatedwiring,lights, etc.By the same token I want to play it and hear it with the band. The MSA has been recently been "gone through" by an "expert" [that would be me.. he says with a wink}.and she is up to as many more gigs as I'll give her.Neither axe wuold get much play time on gigs anymore.. My band is basically old 60's and classic rock,with a lot of Charlie Danials fiddle stuff thrown in too . the other guitarist doubles on fiddle and he's VERY good at it,and I double on lead guitar and steel,and over the years I have gone from playing steel at LEAST 50% of each gig to a max of about 10 % on average... some nights I don't even play it or just use it on one song. I want to play my new steel not have it sit in the case,so I'm thinking it may be better off as a "bedroom warrior". As always the average barfly wouldn't know a steel guitar from an Orgasmatron so thats not an issue. What do you think?? New guitar at the gigs or bedroom??? The opinions I get here DO matter!!! bob
Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 5:13 am    

With a brand new steel I would let the wood settle in a stable environment for awhile before subjecting it to extreme winter temperature changes in a trailer. Start dragging it around in the spring when it warms up some.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 5:13 am    

What does your spine surgeon say?
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 5:40 am    

I would never keep my steel in someone else's band trailer and I'd never practice on one steel and use a different steel to play out with.I tried that once and was never really comfortable with either one...so I practice and play out on the same steel!
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 6:24 am    

I'm with Mike....that's why I own only one steel!

www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 12 January 2004 at 06:25 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 6:40 am    

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I have an old push-pull 12-string and a brand new Fessy. The Fessy has two more pedals and two more levers, but otherwise the setups are pretty similar. I play the two interchangeably, although the Fessy is more reliable and I tend to use it on gigs more often and the Emmons on sessions more often, but both get plenty of action. The Emmons does stay set up in my music room so I probably play it more at home, but I practice on the Fessy too.

I say use 'em both. Each guitar has really cool characteristics I'm sure -- I know my two certainly do. You'll get used to playing them both -- I'd bet a dozen third strings on it.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 6:41 am    

You said you play Steel 10% or maybe even 0% a night. That doesn't sound like a job for the new axe.

I'd keep the MSA in the band trailer, and play the new one at home. I'd also carry the new one, in my car to many gigs, if I know I'll get get to play some steel.

FWIW, I started on an MSA Classic. I never wanted to play it after getting a Carter.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 7:54 am    

You don't need a new guitar; you need a new BAND, one that let's you play some STEEL!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 7:59 am    

I never leave anything of high emotional or monetary value, or that cannot be easily replaced, in anyone's band trailer or van, within reason. Even if it's your trailer and parked in your carport.

By "within reason" I mean I wouldn't haul an entire PA setup into the house, but a new Carter guitar would stay within my arm's reach.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 8:50 am    

Quote:
" would stay within my arm's reach"

or a least within range ...
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 10:32 am    

Which one should stay home? The one my wife can't load in the van for me.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 1:11 pm    

I wouldn't leave any pedal steel in the band trailor. The temperature extremes of a trailor in weather aren't good for instruments.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
David Friedlander

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 4:00 pm    

Bob-
Start using either steel more often in your band.
I play with a band which does quite a few "non- PSG" songs.
I have found ways to put the durn thing in Zepplin, Clapton, Stones, and all sorts of Rock and metal music. I've gotten some really good response from the audiences- most of whom ( in NYC) don't know a PSG is a "county" instrument anyway.
Imagine using a pedal steel in "Kashmir" by Zep. It works- well.
i'm also a 6 string guitar player- but because I don't even carry it to gigs, I find ways to use the PSG all nite long ( and bring some percussion to use when you simply can't put the PSG in)

JMHO- which I guess I should be very careful about sharing ( hehehehe)
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 5:00 pm    

In the little time it takes for a thief to steal a guitar out of whatever, I wouldn't leave any guitar/amp of mine anywhere other than beside my bed in a snug, warm, dry house. Stories have been told right here on the Forum about these instances. WHy not load in the trailer right on the tail, then lift out when you go home. Makes more sense to me. So as not to cause the wife to feel left out, let her carry from the trailer into your house and set it up for you. PLAY it SAFE!
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 8:52 pm    

Bob, if the band has another guitar player, PLAY YOUR STEEL MORE! I would not leave the Carter in a trailer, but take it with you to the gigs and try it, it will be hard to go back to anything else. I've been lazy and just put a cover over it and haul it set up in the back of my van. I can carry it in under one arm it's so light!
Earl Yarbro

Bowie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 7:19 am    

I'd leave the heavy one at home. Unless I could get my wife to carry it for me.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 7:57 am    

Jim, Herb, Bob L., and David F. all make the case.
1. Never ever leave your baby in an un-heated, un-airconditioned lonely dusty unattended van or trailer...old MSA or new Carter.
2. PSG sounds so cool in classic rock, Stones, Zep, Pink Floyd, Animals etc. I guess if your also providing lead, or backup vocals and you like the front stage time, that's understandable.
3. But if they won't let you play more steel, I, (speaking for myself only) would be looking for a new band.

Do you guys have permanent rehearsal space?
If so, I'd keep the MSA there, and take the Carter home and to gigs.

------------------

[This message was edited by Fred Glave on 13 January 2004 at 02:23 PM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 8:58 am    

I must admit I missed the 'keep it in the trailer' part. I too would never keep my guitar in any trailer ('course I live in Michigan and it gets REALLY cold in the winter). I've had too many experiences where things just didn't work well for WEEKS after leaving mine in the cold. There are certain guitars for which this is more of a problem than others but the last place you want to learn about that is on stage. Avoid your guitars ever getting too hot or too cold if at all possible.

Did you leave the old one in the trailer for convenience or because someone told you that you HAD to? Trailers are ok for amps and PA systems but I know very few six stringers who keep their precious Strats and Teles and Pauls in a trailer all week.

My advice is:
1. Nix the trailer
2. Learn some pentatonic scales on steel just like you play them on guitar. Rock on!
3. Either convince your band that steel is ok on anything or find another band. Many of us have played regularly with rock, alternative, and blues groups. It CAN be done (and it's a lot of fun AND opens a few eyes to what the steel can do).

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 9:16 am    

I wouldn't leave any equipment I cared about in a trailer that was outside. Back in '71, I lost my guitar and amp that way. The worst part about it was I still owed $400 on the amplifier, which was a lot of money back then, especially for being ony 19. I had to pay off the debt and try to get equipment to play with at the same time. Not fun. I don't even leave my equipment unattended in my locked car for more than a few minutes.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 3:09 pm    

I will probably take the Carter to gigs and leave the MSA set up at home. Thats why I went with the Carter... LIGHT!!!A "different band" is not an option. My band is the highest paid around here.. Its a matter of what people want to hear. Country is pretty much dead except for a few numbers that are suitable for mindless dancing by goofy 21 year old girls and thier drunken boyfriends..,but these are basically rock numbers too with maybe a clean Fender guitar thrown in. ie. "Kiss This" Country [REAL country that is} is probably finished around here. There are very few guys around this area that play steel guitar only, that are working much at all. A member here ,Todd Kapegian lives close by and unless he corrects me he is in the same situation. He is talented on both guitar and pedal steel,but it seems most of his time is taken up being the "lead guitarist".. Its either play rock or stay home... I need the bread........bob
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 3:40 pm    

I take all 6 guitars on a gig...I get paid by the pound
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 6:28 pm    

I saw an Emmons ''mica'' steel that a guy left in his so called basement studio and the ''mica'' was peeling right off the guitar . What a waste !! I left my Sho-Bud under the belly of a tour bus one night and the next morning the guitar was sweeting water . Needless to say it was my last time for that . Never leave an expensive instrument in any bus or trailer . Unless you have more money than !!!!! Just my honest openion. Gary .
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 6:31 pm    

Jody... 6??... not too shabby.. I take 4 and can barely handle it!. A strat,61 Gibson SG, Rickenbacker 360 12 string, and my CRUSTY old MSA [soon to be replaced by a new shiny black Carter... if it ever gets here} That more than I even care to think about!... I hope you're joking when you say you bring 6!!! bob
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 7:55 pm    

Two triple necks = 6
Ryan Giese

Spokane, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 8:11 pm    

If I were you I would keep my already beat up MSA in the trailer... there is no point in beating up two! But like many other people have said in their replies I wouldn'y keep any steel in a trailer unattended!