| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  60's Emmons tone knobs
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 8:01 pm    

Another thread asked about dating an old Emmons on E-bay, and our esteemed forumite friend Herb Steiner mentioned the tone knob, and it's consistency with 60's Emmons guitars.
So, right now I have 2 of them sitting in my living room. One, an early '66, has a solid black tone knob similar to the one in the pics on the E-bay guitar. The other is apparently a '69 cuttail that belongs to a friend, and the tone knob (which I'm only assuming is original) is shaped differently, with a grip around the sides and a silver top.
I'm just wondering if they changed at a specific time... and is this another way to distinguish one year from another, or was it just random ? Since this seems to be the depository of emmonsophile knowledge, I thought I'd throw that question out...
-John
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 8:21 pm    

John S-Herb sure knows his tone knobs! The earlier bakelite type with the "pinched top" and three or four vertical lines grooved into the two opposing sides are very hard to find these days-Every guitar show that I go to I look in people's boxes of knobs for sale to find them-I found two many years ago that were desperately needed for a 1964 guitar that I owned then-but not a one since-They are even more rare in brown color-1969 seems to be as good a guess as any for when the change was made to the later type "skirted" knob

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 22 January 2004 at 09:28 AM.]