| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cabinet for JBL E130?
Matthew Hutching

New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 4:29 am    

Hello all, I have just purchased a JBL E130 speaker!

Now, any wisdom on what kind of (size etc) cabinet I should build for it?

Thanks,
Matthew
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 4:03 pm    

Heres some pics of mine, I believe thes are home made with jbl e130 , came with 2 , they have insulation in them also, its a very a strong arrangement and they sound great

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 3:00 am    

Perhaps, 0.82 cubic feet internal volume for a simple sealed box (no ports) for this speaker (based on Thiele-Small specs for the E130) which can come out to 2 ft high, 1.5 ft wide, and 8 inches deep, ballpark, to give you room to mount the speaker.

You can play around with the dimensions somewhat as long as you get at least 0.82 cubic feet internal box volume and can mount the speaker on the baffle board with space behind for the magnet.

With this sized sealed box you'll get a 3db cut off at around 150hz. A ported box would get more bass but ported means a guess at what frequencies you want to emphasize or de-emphasize and ported cabs are not accurate, plus there's that port noise complaint, no pun intended.

Since you had your heart set on the E130 you'll have to build a box around the factory specs of the speaker vs a modern cabinet/speaker where the Thiele-Small params were designed into the speaker for perhaps a smaller cab.

Or make an open back cab like a combo amp large enough to mount the speaker and call it a day.

The free-air resonance for this JBL is 40hz, means if you held the raw speaker in the air and played something through it, it will favor a resonance at 40hz so it goes down pretty low. What the usable frequencies out of your psg is your next question. Perhaps a cab that can produce 50-5000hz would be ballpark for a psg. The E130 has a spec'd range of 50-6000hz with a loud spl of 105 db.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 8:43 am    

Simple - just match the Telonics cabinet dimensions and layout. They figured it out and did all the testing to make sure it was right.

Even Simpler - buy a Telonics cabinet. They really make a difference - a bunch of us did a comparison at a steel/amp eval night....
Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 9:40 pm    

Do a search for Tommy Huff, he can fix you up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Arrow Gary